PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire Coucil get something right

WR6133
16-03-14, 03:54 PM
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/IMG_20140316_150331_zps9600eabf.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/IMG_20140316_150331_zps9600eabf.jpg.html)

Beyond that slight bend is 1400 meters of dead straight absolutely pristine tarmac. Lots of bikes were enjoying it today while I was stopped to take that photo some lady on a CBR U-turned to have another go (and must have repeated at the far end as she came past again)!

(Bulford Droveway for anyone wanting to admire it)

DC
16-03-14, 05:15 PM
Good news ! Nice Skies too :cool:

Wes
16-03-14, 05:53 PM
Dont get that very often!

WR6133
16-03-14, 05:55 PM
Was a good day for it racked up over 100 miles without even leaving Wiltshire. Weird they made that road perfect, it wasn't awful before, there are busier and much worse roads nearby that need sorting. Wonder if someone on the council fancied a drag strip! :D

DC
16-03-14, 06:26 PM
Maybe some councillor lives up that road somewhere and just fancied improving his quality of life :rolleyes:

Toph
16-03-14, 08:49 PM
Think DC has hit the nail on the head!

redken1
16-03-14, 09:18 PM
I'm not criticising what is an excellent post. Sign of the times however, when we are celebrating a small stretch of new tarmac and commending the LA. May copy and paste to show my Grandchildren what tarmacked roads looked like back in the 'good old days'. Lol. Slightly off topic, but reminds me of a telesales chap who called me the other day offering me a 'free' boiler paid for with 'government money.' I was quick to point out that the government don't have any money - it is my money in the first place. Let's not forget that the UK road user is one of the most heavily taxed in the world with fuel duty tax disc etc.

WR6133
16-03-14, 09:27 PM
You're right redken it's a sad state of affairs that most of our roads look like (or worse than) the rough bit my bike is parked on. Over 100 miles today mostly on the smaller roads and that stretch was the only piece of good surface I found.

Swanny
17-03-14, 10:56 AM
Good news ! Nice Skies too :cool:
Yea no chemtrails all day :cool:

Jon_W
20-03-14, 01:25 PM
Yep. Blue sky is a rare thing!!!! :D

bigpete
20-03-14, 04:42 PM
maybe.....just maybe they're finally getting the worst of the roads done. my commute from warminster to Salisbury has been made better as they've resurfaced that whole horrible pot hole filled section between stapleford and stoford!
makes riding those bends a joy again!!!

Rabb
20-03-14, 07:22 PM
Victoria Road in Trowbridge is a prime example.
It has seem more Tarmac repairs than the M1.
Lots of very expensive houses (£340k plus) and it seems to get repaired when an acorn drops from a tree and causes a small dink in the surface. George Orwells prophecy about "Some being more equal than others" from Animal Farm is being dramatised in the real world..................

Rabb
20-03-14, 07:30 PM
maybe.....just maybe they're finally getting the worst of the roads done. my commute from warminster to Salisbury has been made better as they've resurfaced that whole horrible pot hole filled section between stapleford and stoford!
makes riding those bends a joy again!!!

I sorted that for you - I spoke to the Highways Agency back in November about it - saying it was a death trap for Bikers as it stood.
After emailing them about 5 times - I phoned them direct and requested that they did something about it.
At that time I was travelling from Trowbridge to Salisbury & Andover on a regular basis and I wouldn't take no for an answer!
Glad it's been done now

wiltshire builders
21-03-14, 10:14 AM
I was out cycling last night, took my hand off of the bars to signal right, hit a series of pot holes and only just managed to stay on.
I was doing around 25mph and if I hadn't been on a MTB I would've definitely gone down.
I hope they fix the roads soon.
Chippenham council have just admitted they "borrowed" £75000 of donation money earmarked for a children's splash pool for their own projects and now have to find a way of giving it back.
I won't hold my breath.

bigpete
21-03-14, 10:52 AM
I sorted that for you - I spoke to the Highways Agency back in November about it - saying it was a death trap for Bikers as it stood.
After emailing them about 5 times - I phoned them direct and requested that they did something about it.
At that time I was travelling from Trowbridge to Salisbury & Andover on a regular basis and I wouldn't take no for an answer!
Glad it's been done now

thankyou.

Swanny
21-03-14, 06:53 PM
I was out cycling last night, took my hand off of the bars to signal right, hit a series of pot holes and only just managed to stay on.
I was doing around 25mph and if I hadn't been on a MTB I would've definitely gone down.
I hope they fix the roads soon.
Chippenham council have just admitted they "borrowed" £75000 of donation money earmarked for a children's splash pool for their own projects and now have to find a way of giving it back.
I won't hold my breath.

Ride on the pavements, that's what I do