PDA

View Full Version : patrol car a4

fazed
12-03-14, 04:39 PM
Hi all, just a word to the wise.....I was out or a ride on the A4 this afternoon and an Audi tt came by at a rate of knots, followed very shortly after by a white BMW 5 series, at first I thought they were having a go but suddenly blue lights started to flash on the BMW and a police sign magically appeared so the audi was truly nicked. There was no sign on the outside of the BMW that it was a police car so it wasn't playing the game....this isn't the first time I've seen it on the a4 between Marlborough and Newbury so keep an eye out ......

Mal103
12-03-14, 05:52 PM
.... or maybe just keep your speed down?

QB1
12-03-14, 06:12 PM
Thanks.

You can generally spot a Police driver pretty well even in an unmarked car.

The A4 is a pretty common stomping ground, nice road.

Swanny
12-03-14, 11:07 PM
They do like the BMW's but there's a 52 plate blue Mondeo about too

WR6133
13-03-14, 08:26 AM
There's a blue BMW they often use on the A303. Overall I think we are well off in Wiltshire though with a lack of fixed camera's.

Wes
14-03-14, 05:41 PM
Cheers mate, WX prefixes are a giveaway too ;)

Marmalade
15-03-14, 02:35 AM
WX prefix only means it is registered in the Wessex area, south west, surrounding bristol/avon

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Wes
15-03-14, 06:59 AM
Yep,theres unmarked and some marked vehicles in the avon an somerset area start with wx, so its worth keeping an eye out for.

Ade
15-03-14, 10:15 PM
.... or maybe just keep your speed down?
Totally agree.

Mal103
15-03-14, 10:41 PM
Totally agree.

Had to be said, just to strike a balance, i'm sure WB don't want to be seen as a speed-ticket aware site. Equally i'm sure most of us like to twist the right hand more than necessary now and again.

But if you stick closer to a safer speed.....

Scotty
16-03-14, 01:03 PM
It all depends whe and where you decide to do it. If you speed on major trunk roads near built-up areas, dual carriageways, by-passes and the like, then you'll get nicked, simple as. If you choose rural A and B-roads away from towns and villages, then you should remain largely untroubled by the law. Choose the time and place wisely and enjoy yourselves.

DC
18-03-14, 07:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3W87uWcx8

Think this was James Dean's last "interview" :(

81-Nomad
18-03-14, 10:01 PM
The cops have an unmarked Audi A6 saloon in Dolphin Grey on a new plate in Swindon, I thought it may be of interest to some.

Marmalade
18-03-14, 10:45 PM
Yep,theres unmarked and some marked vehicles in the avon an somerset area start with wx, so its worth keeping an eye out for.

The reason it has a WX plate is because it was registered in bristol. It has nothing at all to do with its use.

On the road to nowhere

Wes
19-03-14, 05:53 AM
The reason it has a WX plate is because it was registered in bristol. It has nothing at all to do with its use.

On the road to nowhere
Thats absolutely correct, the wessex prefix :)

Marmalade
19-03-14, 06:10 AM
Zzzz

Sorry if the correct info bores you.
Continue with your fairy stories.

On the road to nowhere

Swanny
19-03-14, 08:25 AM
I always pay special attention to BMW's with wessex prefix

Wes
19-03-14, 05:47 PM
Sorry if the correct info bores you.
Continue with your fairy stories.

On the road to nowhere
Only the uninteresting ones

Swanny
19-03-14, 06:19 PM
Why are these people joy riding around in BMW's anyway? They should be given VW Polos

919honda
19-03-14, 09:38 PM
They do like the BMW's but there's a 52 plate blue Mondeo about too

I know someone who got pulled by the mondeo !!

Rabb
19-03-14, 09:57 PM
Under the "Public Freedom of information act"' anyone can get a list of all the vehicles used by your local constabulary.
The full list for Wiltshire is on the net - if you need it.
The WX prefix does indeed refer to Wessex registered vehicles.
- And if you check the list you will discover that a lot of the unmarked fast traffic cars do actually have the WX prefix.

WR6133
19-03-14, 10:11 PM
The full list for Wiltshire is on the net - if you need it.

The full list I found doesn't have VRN's so pretty useless. Didn't realise the variety of cars they have though till I read it, they have spent a fortune on beemers too!

Rabb
20-03-14, 09:23 AM
The full list I found doesn't have VRN's so pretty useless. Didn't realise the variety of cars they have though till I read it, they have spent a fortune on beemers too!

I found one list which does list the VRN, make & model - but you have to digg deep in the document to glean the information.
They have BMW's , Audi's , Skoda's & Ford Focus's and Mondeos too.
I have seen all of these cars on the prowl over the last couple of years.

Swanny
20-03-14, 07:46 PM
I've seen a Skoda with them in

Swanny
07-04-14, 08:44 AM
Watch out
I spotted a dark BMW LG13PFN
Not the usual W plate

DC
07-04-14, 09:14 AM
Watch out
I spotted a dark BMW LG13PFN
Not the usual W plate

http://nice-reg.co.uk/info/area-of-issue-codes-for-current-style-number-plates.html

Swanny
07-04-14, 07:03 PM
London then

Jed
07-04-14, 07:42 PM
By the time you've read the VRN it's probably too late! As has been said you can generally spot police cars by the way they are driven. Personally I am very wary of any vehicle coming up behind me quickly, better to slow down and let them overtake so you get a good look at who's inside and count the aerials on the outside. You can always speed up again afterwards.

Gerry
07-04-14, 08:27 PM
In my limited experience you can usually tell if they are an unmarked police car when they put blue lights on, pull you over and ask if "this is your car sir"
Obviously if you're on a bike this is a trick question so beware ;-)
G

Burbler
07-04-14, 09:13 PM
In my limited experience you can usually tell if they are an unmarked police car when they put blue lights on, pull you over and ask if "this is your car sir"
Obviously if you're on a bike this is a trick question so beware ;-)
G

...About 29 mph officer...

wheelers
23-04-14, 07:24 PM
accident at Asda roundabout Melksham this evening, there was a black skoda estate reg OV10 TSV blue and red lights in back window flashing

Swanny
29-06-14, 10:43 PM
Grey Audi WX60 pulled over a bike today

Vulcanboy
30-06-14, 02:10 PM
By the time you've read the VRN it's probably too late! As has been said you can generally spot police cars by the way they are driven. Personally I am very wary of any vehicle coming up behind me quickly, better to slow down and let them overtake so you get a good look at who's inside and count the aerials on the outside. You can always speed up again afterwards.

very sound advice ......

Swanny
30-06-14, 07:21 PM
They seem to have more unmarked cars than marked these days. Just goes to show they want people to speed so they can fine them rather than be visible so that people drive slower

grene-knyght
04-07-14, 11:37 PM
Grey Audi WX60 pulled over a bike today

Which I understand is piloted by the forum's favourite PC.