PDA

View Full Version : First Test Ride - What to Expect

MayallRob
11-03-14, 02:41 PM
There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

QB1
11-03-14, 03:44 PM
There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

The one thing I would say is that when you've not experienced riding a sports bike it'll probably take a lot longer than one test ride to decide whether you like the riding position. It did for me anyway.

I've been riding for years and when I rode my first proper sports bike a few years ago I bloody hated it, nearly fell off when I pulled off, scared me to death the limited lock to turn the thing, found it uncomfortable beyond belief, hated the riding position, didnt like the way you couldnt see much with your head down all the time and couldnt see how anyone in their right mind could ever ride/want one for. It took me several decent long rides to even start to click with it and now on my third sports bike I absolutely love them can easily ride several hundred miles in a day no worries about riding in wet/crap weather etc., and cant imagine having a sit up and beg again, ever! The secret is to relax and dont put any weight on your arms easier said than done the first few times you ride one though.

As for how long you'll get and where you can go it'll generally depend on the dealer I've known some who will just hand over the keys and say see you in a couple of hours some will follow you round the block for 10 minutes. Hopefully someone who has been to the dealer you have in mind can help a bit more.

Hope that helps a bit.

Me I'd love a BMW S1000RR - ENJOY THE RIDE ;)

Brizzer
11-03-14, 03:59 PM
don't over ride the bike try relax your arms and use your legs more for grip, get used to the brakes and power and leaning the bike when turning, but it will be hard to tell if you would want a sports bike with 1 test ride, and report back what you think of the bike there supposed to be amazing bikes have fun ride safe

Scotty
11-03-14, 04:20 PM
Take it along roads that you're familiar with, an unfamiliar bike (making four times the power you're used to) on unfamiliar roads won't tell you much. You have to try and be objective - you'll be riding the object of four years' desires and hard saving up (do you have a poster of one on our bedroom wall?) so if you don't like any aspect of it you have to be honest with yourself (which, given these circumstances, won't be easy). As you have the money in the bank (have you had an insurance quote yet?) it might be worth trying a few other litre bikes for a valid comparison rather than ride the S thou in isolation. On its own it will feel like an absolute missile in comparison with your 500 (unbelievably smooth and fast, but also big and heavy), but until you try some of the other similar bikes you have nothing valid to compare it with. You never know, you might actually prefer something like a Blade (which, in honesty, is a better road bike).

Also, ensure that the traction control is on, it could save you a lot of money and potential embarrassment.

DC
11-03-14, 04:33 PM
Take it along roads that you're familiar with, an unfamiliar bike (making four times the power you're used to) on unfamiliar roads won't tell you much. You have to try and be objective - you'll be riding the object of four years' desires and hard saving up (do you have a poster of one on our bedroom wall?) so if you don't like any aspect of it you have to be honest with yourself (which, given these circumstances, won't be easy). As you have the money in the bank (have you had an insurance quote yet?) it might be worth trying a few other litre bikes for a valid comparison rather than ride the S thou in isolation. On its own it will feel like an absolute missile in comparison with your 500 (unbelievably smooth and fast, but also big and heavy), but until you try some of the other similar bikes you have nothing valid to compare it with. You never know, you might actually prefer something like a Blade (which, in honesty, is a better road bike).

Also, ensure that the traction control is on, it could save you a lot of money and potential embarrassment.

Good to see you back on here Scotty :) Your input has been missed. Hope your'e on the mend and up and about again soon mate:cool:

Sorry to go off topic there Mayallrob. Can't really comment on the subject as don't know a great deal about sportsbikes. Good luck with your quest though.

wiltshire builders
11-03-14, 05:03 PM
I know what you mean about the s1000rr. I love them too.

As superbikes go the BM is the daddy. Obviously you know that and that's why you want it!
Like Mr Scott said this bike is a completely different animal to what you're used to.
It will out-perform you all day long and more than likely highlight your short comings rather than flatter your riding style.
I know 2 years riding might seem a lot but it still means you're relatively new.

Things to note:

The acceleration will be brutal. This will seem really exciting and your adrenaline will be flowing but ask yourself if you could live with it everyday.

The engine braking will be brutal. Learning to use this is an art. Get it wrong and you could end up with a testicle necklace. In my pre-slipper clutch days locking up the back wheel was very common.

The way the power is delivered will be different. Most sports bikes don't make much power until 9,000 rpm and then it all comes at once. Take it easy at first and be gentle with the throttle. The front wheel will be hovering at this point which will feel strange. Don't make any sudden direction changes or braking and definitely don't wind it on hoping to wheelie!

The riding position will be uncomfortable but there are little tweeks you can make to get more comfort. Risers, lower rear sets, adjust the levers, gel seat etc...

Write down exactly what you want from your next bike and then you can see if it ticks the boxes.

You may find it ticks them all but I'm pretty sure it wont tick any....... just like every other superbike.
You don't buy one with your head, because they make no sense at all.

I look forward to seeing the pics of your new bavarian missile soon!

Dabz
11-03-14, 05:54 PM
Scotty makes a good point about being honest with yourself. I made that exact mistake when I test rode the Daytona 675 which was the bike I'd had a picture on my wall of. I didn't enjoy the ride, not right for me, but I still bought it. Eventually manned up and swapped it for the street triple which doesn't do it for me in the looks department but is the perfect bike for me in terms of riding.

QB1
11-03-14, 06:16 PM
But Dabz if you'd never tried it you'd have always wished you had.

Dabz
11-03-14, 06:33 PM
But Dabz if you'd never tried it you'd have always wished you had.

Yup good point, I'd still want one now if I hadn't had one. In fact if I had the money I'd still have one in addition to the street triple :)

Snowy
11-03-14, 07:09 PM
Get an online insurance quote and go from there. I can't even get my feet on the pegs of an RR so its not for me. Most powerful bike I have taken for a test ride had 160 bhp much less than the RR. I loved the engine but at the end of the day I didn't trust myself enough to buy it. Ended up dropping 60 bhp but probably having more fun because I have to ride my bike rather than just sit on it and open the throttle. What you're considering is a massive jump in power and cost - are you really sure your ability is up to it after just two years?

Edit: Great advice from Scotty and WB based on real world experience.

MayallRob
11-03-14, 08:15 PM
Excellent advice from everyone on here - thanks!

QB1 - Hopefully I'll be able to have a couple of test rides before actually buying one. I'm in no rush to get one, I've already waited 4 years and waiting a few more months / years will make the cost of the bike come down as well as my insurance.

Brizzer - Good tips, I daresay I'll be terrified of the bike and will be driving it around at 5% of its actual power, so no fear of over riding it! I'm hoping on taking my GoPro camera with me to record the test ride so will link you to the video, though it will probably just be me screaming in terror and laughing from pure enjoyment!

Scotty - Your response was brilliant. Unfortunately I'm based in Swindon and the dealer is in Oxford. I've looked it up on Google Maps, the area looks pretty decent for a test ride but will be unfamiliar to me nonetheless. I'll be taking it slow and carefully. I actually hadn't considered test riding other litre bikes for comparison, I've always had my heart set on the S1000RR. I've always like the Japanese litre bikes, I might have to give them a go...? And don't worry, I'll be sure to have traction control on its highest setting!

Wiltshire Builders - A lot of advice that I greatly appreciate. I realise that the performance of the bike is going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. I'll be taking it very easy and don't I'll have the balls to go anywhere near 9000 revs!

Dabz - I understand completely what you are saying. The S1000RR is definitely my dream bike, I have it set as the desktop background on my PC to remind me to work and save hard to get one. Like QB1 said - I feel like if I didn't get one I'd always regret it! So I'm really hoping the test ride goes well and I feel comfortable with the bike.

Snowy - Insurance quotes are a little ridiculous, but I was expecting this. Its affordable, but only just! I've sat on a few S1000RRs and was tall enough to fit comfortably on, but I've never actually ridden one.

Some of my friends and family think I'm insane for buying this bike, but to me it makes sense. I feel like I should buy one whilst I am still young enough to fully enjoy and appreciate it, and while I don't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about, something I'm sure many of you will appreciate.

I recently went to the MCN London Motorcycle Show and sat on a few of the different bikes there, but I kept going back to the BMW. The asymmetrical looks of it, the pure brutal power and the reviews I have read just tell me that it is the right bike to buy.

I appreciate any more advice or tips that anyone has to give, or even share some of your test ride experiences?

Here's a quick photo from the MCN show:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/1556224_10153805346205247_1000637899_o.jpg

Dabz
11-03-14, 08:17 PM
At the end of the day it's an awesome bike, absolutely stunning to look at and you know that turning up to a bike meet on it you'll get lots of admiring glances. I'm very jealous :)

Swanny
11-03-14, 09:34 PM
I've never ridden one but the Fireblade has always had fantastic reviews and is very user friendly. I'd try one of those for comparison

DC
11-03-14, 09:36 PM
Excellent advice from everyone on here - thanks!

QB1 - Hopefully I'll be able to have a couple of test rides before actually buying one. I'm in no rush to get one, I've already waited 4 years and waiting a few more months / years will make the cost of the bike come down as well as my insurance.

Brizzer - Good tips, I daresay I'll be terrified of the bike and will be driving it around at 5% of its actual power, so no fear of over riding it! I'm hoping on taking my GoPro camera with me to record the test ride so will link you to the video, though it will probably just be me screaming in terror and laughing from pure enjoyment!

Scotty - Your response was brilliant. Unfortunately I'm based in Swindon and the dealer is in Oxford. I've looked it up on Google Maps, the area looks pretty decent for a test ride but will be unfamiliar to me nonetheless. I'll be taking it slow and carefully. I actually hadn't considered test riding other litre bikes for comparison, I've always had my heart set on the S1000RR. I've always like the Japanese litre bikes, I might have to give them a go...? And don't worry, I'll be sure to have traction control on its highest setting!

Wiltshire Builders - A lot of advice that I greatly appreciate. I realise that the performance of the bike is going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. I'll be taking it very easy and don't I'll have the balls to go anywhere near 9000 revs!

Dabz - I understand completely what you are saying. The S1000RR is definitely my dream bike, I have it set as the desktop background on my PC to remind me to work and save hard to get one. Like QB1 said - I feel like if I didn't get one I'd always regret it! So I'm really hoping the test ride goes well and I feel comfortable with the bike.

Snowy - Insurance quotes are a little ridiculous, but I was expecting this. Its affordable, but only just! I've sat on a few S1000RRs and was tall enough to fit comfortably on, but I've never actually ridden one.

Some of my friends and family think I'm insane for buying this bike, but to me it makes sense. I feel like I should buy one whilst I am still young enough to fully enjoy and appreciate it, and while I don't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about, something I'm sure many of you will appreciate.

I recently went to the MCN London Motorcycle Show and sat on a few of the different bikes there, but I kept going back to the BMW. The asymmetrical looks of it, the pure brutal power and the reviews I have read just tell me that it is the right bike to buy.

I appreciate any more advice or tips that anyone has to give, or even share some of your test ride experiences?

Here's a quick photo from the MCN show:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/1556224_10153805346205247_1000637899_o.jpg

Nice picture of you on the bike Rob but this one looks even better :cool:

http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/2011/01/BMW_S1000RR.jpg

Swanny
11-03-14, 09:47 PM
Baron Von Grumble had one for a very short while but he got rid of it

Here's a vid of his and his mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ci65dyH-d0#t=100

I love the look of the 2012 Fireblade

http://www.mrwallpaper.com/wallpapers/Honda-Fireblade-2012.jpg

Swanny
11-03-14, 09:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQ475n6_Js

DC
11-03-14, 09:49 PM
Tasty :cool:

WR6133
11-03-14, 09:59 PM
Nice picture of you on the bike Rob but this one looks even better :cool:

I'll have the bird you can keep the bike

Rabb
11-03-14, 11:13 PM
I'll have the bird you can keep the bike

I'll take both please - I'm greedy like that ;-)

Rabb
11-03-14, 11:39 PM
Hi Rob,
Advice from me.
1. Try a few bikes
2. If you decide to rev a hypersport bike make sure you have a good grip on the handlebars (it'll wrench your arms off)
3. Riding position is so important
4. Relax and enjoy - you must lightly but firmly hold you handlebars, but don't put too much weight on the bars otherwise your wrists will ache and your neck will too (you have to use the muscles in your back properly riding a sports bike)
5. Don't ever put a sportbike handlebar on full lock when turning at low speeds (you'll fall off)
6. Don't look away from the road for split second.
7. If you use the rear brake - be gentle so you don't lock it up.

Above all - have fun & relax.

(I'm getting a HP4 in about a year and a half - and I can't wait)

Last Train
12-03-14, 10:47 AM
Stunning machines :cool:

wiltshire builders
12-03-14, 03:42 PM
I've never ridden one but the Fireblade has always had fantastic reviews and is very user friendly. I'd try one of those for comparison

I didn't like the Blade. It was too...........Honda!
But you're right. If the s1000rr is the nutters choice the Blade is the sensible mans (super)bike.

MayallRob
12-03-14, 08:02 PM
Hi Rob,
Advice from me.
1. Try a few bikes
2. If you decide to rev a hypersport bike make sure you have a good grip on the handlebars (it'll wrench your arms off)
3. Riding position is so important
4. Relax and enjoy - you must lightly but firmly hold you handlebars, but don't put too much weight on the bars otherwise your wrists will ache and your neck will too (you have to use the muscles in your back properly riding a sports bike)
5. Don't ever put a sportbike handlebar on full lock when turning at low speeds (you'll fall off)
6. Don't look away from the road for split second.
7. If you use the rear brake - be gentle so you don't lock it up.

Above all - have fun & relax.

(I'm getting a HP4 in about a year and a half - and I can't wait)

Good tips there Rabb. Are the rear brakes on sportsbikes quite susceptible to locking up then? I hadn't considered this. I've never had any problems on my bike and so never thought about it before.

The HP4 is a monster of a bike. Unfortunately too much for me I think, in terms of power, cost and insurance. One day though perhaps... ;) When you get one I'll be very jealous!

Rabb
12-03-14, 08:27 PM
Good tips there Rabb. Are the rear brakes on sportsbikes quite susceptible to locking up then? I hadn't considered this. I've never had any problems on my bike and so never thought about it before.

The HP4 is a monster of a bike. Unfortunately too much for me I think, in terms of power, cost and insurance. One day though perhaps... ;) When you get one I'll be very jealous!

As far as rear brakes are concerned - go gently ; remember you will have a lot more power and torque at the rear wheel - locking up is 'more' of a posibility where higher power/torques are involved.
Smooth and gradual does it.......

Uber Dave
12-03-14, 09:59 PM
As far as rear brakes are concerned - go gently ; remember you will have a lot more power and torque at the rear wheel - locking up is 'more' of a posibility where higher power/torques are involved.
Smooth and gradual does it.......

And not just the rear brakes. The front will be far more powerful than you are used too as well. I use only my index finger on my R6 and that's including the odd emergency stop too!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Senna(Dan)
13-03-14, 09:28 AM
Rob,

I took one of these on a test ride in 2012 just before I bought the F4, the power is unbelievable and especially if you get given the RED key. That is full power and not good for you licence.

It was an epic machine but too much power to rein in as it just encourages to go faster and faster, I went for the F4 because 140BHP is more than enough to get you in trouble. I preferred the riding position of the F4 and couldn't get on with the ergonomics of the the RR, I am sure with some fettling it would be perfect but my 2 hour test ride didn't allow it. The guys at Oxford BMW are a good bunch, my next door neighbor works for the MINI side of that garage.

Just take it very steady and try as many types of road as you can, there are a few great roads near Oxford but if you never ridden them it is not a great idea to try them if you are unfamiliar with them. Above all enjoy it mate.

Dream bikes can be a double edged sword, but luckily I fell in love with the F4 as soon as I rode it. The looks it gets are amazing, tends to get all the attention.

MayallRob
13-03-14, 07:41 PM
Rob,

I took one of these on a test ride in 2012 just before I bought the F4, the power is unbelievable and especially if you get given the RED key. That is full power and not good for you licence.

It was an epic machine but too much power to rein in as it just encourages to go faster and faster, I went for the F4 because 140BHP is more than enough to get you in trouble. I preferred the riding position of the F4 and couldn't get on with the ergonomics of the the RR, I am sure with some fettling it would be perfect but my 2 hour test ride didn't allow it. The guys at Oxford BMW are a good bunch, my next door neighbor works for the MINI side of that garage.

Just take it very steady and try as many types of road as you can, there are a few great roads near Oxford but if you never ridden them it is not a great idea to try them if you are unfamiliar with them. Above all enjoy it mate.

Dream bikes can be a double edged sword, but luckily I fell in love with the F4 as soon as I rode it. The looks it gets are amazing, tends to get all the attention.

Thanks for the advice Dan. I realise that the BMW is a brutal machine, and the test ride may very well terrify me so much that it puts me off the bike!

I think I'm going to have all the rider aids on and set to max. I believe the traction control at the highest setting limits the power a bit? At the moment, for my first test ride I'm not overly interested in the power of the bike, I want to see what the riding position and handling is like as I've never been out on a sportsbike.

I've never been to Oxford so was wondering where to go for my test ride, and how long I'd be allowed out for? I had a quick look on Google maps, I was thinking of going north up the A44 and then off to some country roads?

wiltshire builders
13-03-14, 07:51 PM
The road from witney to farringdon is awesome. Very twisty and a couple of hump-back bridges if you fancy getting some air.
The Aylesbury road is good too. Very fast but lots of speed cameras. You can stop at the Ducati showroom and get a tea to settle your nerves befor heading home.

wiltshire builders
13-03-14, 07:59 PM
higher power/torques are involved.

Torques?!!!!!
I HATE it when people say that. Those idiots at Top Gear started it. We must put a stop to it now!

Snowy
13-03-14, 08:10 PM
Personally I would give NOG a miss and take a longer run out to Bahnstormers in Alton as I think they're a better dealer based on my experience. Then you can try the A272......best on a weekday as there's less chance of a camera.

Swanny
13-03-14, 08:12 PM
So Rob you're thinking of buying a ballistic missile because you like the look of it??
I too like the look of it but I can't have a sports bike as I value my license too much. Speed gets good to me, the faster I go the faster I want to go. I would probably kill myself on one, but I would at least die happy with a big grin on my face :cool:

Swanny
13-03-14, 08:14 PM
Torques?!!!!!
I HATE it when people say that. Those idiots at Top Gear started it. We must put a stop to it now!
I did motor vehicle engineering at school. I remember the teacher explaining torque to us as "a twisting turning effect"

Birdylegs
13-03-14, 09:00 PM
After never having this problem all i can say is whats the place like your buying from good past servies friendly staff that know about the bike.
You wont have any problems till you own it after a few weeks and do you know what to do if it dose is there a good market for second hand will it grow in expences for servies.
Take someone with you to follow you they might jog your memory about bad or good points of driving.
Good luck

XJ
14-03-14, 07:40 AM
Don`t forget to ask about servicing ! hope you have a deep wallet

QB1
14-03-14, 09:42 AM

Not sure if you've seen it but it looks like all the BMW dealerships are doing test rides this weekend with a chance to win a European Road trip and the use of a BMW bike for 3 months - might be worth checking out. I saw something about it on Twitter.

gibbo
14-03-14, 10:31 AM
Hi Rob

I had a test ride on a K1300R end of last year at Oxford BMW. A good bunch of lads in there.
Dealt with Nathan Thomas who was polite and not pushy in any way to 'seal the deal'. Didn't give any time limit on the test ride. Nice coffee on high stools or sofa chairs, bike videos and mags also available.

Started on a nice straight road, so the A40 is just outside the dealership so headed off towards Witney, and carried on through to Burford, then the A361 towards Chipping Norton and back to Oxford via the A44. Nice little bimble that.

You should also go on to www.eurokclub.com which is a good forum for all models of BMW bike. A good knowledgeable bunch of lads with a wealth of experience. You'll find all you need to know about your future steed, the good and the bad points. Not sure is your buying new or used, if used, make sure it has a full BMWSH and take out an extended warranty issued by Mondial. These bikes can cost literally thousands to put right if they go wrong.

The rest of the lads on here have given you sound advice. Nothing more to add except, have a great test ride and stay safe.

Kevinb
14-03-14, 01:12 PM
What about hiring one for a weekend (if you can). It's a lot of money to spend and a hell of a jump. Running costs will be more (servicing, the cost of tyres and how long they last)

MayallRob
14-03-14, 04:28 PM
Hi Rob

I had a test ride on a K1300R end of last year at Oxford BMW. A good bunch of lads in there.
Dealt with Nathan Thomas who was polite and not pushy in any way to 'seal the deal'. Didn't give any time limit on the test ride. Nice coffee on high stools or sofa chairs, bike videos and mags also available.

Started on a nice straight road, so the A40 is just outside the dealership so headed off towards Witney, and carried on through to Burford, then the A361 towards Chipping Norton and back to Oxford via the A44. Nice little bimble that.

You should also go on to www.eurokclub.com which is a good forum for all models of BMW bike. A good knowledgeable bunch of lads with a wealth of experience. You'll find all you need to know about your future steed, the good and the bad points. Not sure is your buying new or used, if used, make sure it has a full BMWSH and take out an extended warranty issued by Mondial. These bikes can cost literally thousands to put right if they go wrong.

The rest of the lads on here have given you sound advice. Nothing more to add except, have a great test ride and stay safe.

Hey gibbo,

It's Nathan Thomas that got in touch with me about the test ride and has organised it for me. He comes across as being a sensible guy in our emails so far and looking forward to meeting him.

Your route sounds good, I may well try and do similar on my test ride. I'm definitely in no rush to buy this bike, I don't mind waiting for the perfect model to come along with regards to price, mileage, service history etc.

Kevinb - I hadn't considered hiring one before. Definitely something I'll check out. I might have a look at some of the BMW / S1000RR forums and see what people say about running / servicing costs and see if there are any particular bad points to look out for when viewing.

Brizzer
14-03-14, 06:11 PM
am sure I don't have to tell you, but go carefull if your going to take the bike round the country roads as they are still covered with a lot off grit and mud from the floods they had round that area

StreetHippo
15-03-14, 08:44 AM
Why not pre-ride the roads on your bike, then you know what's coming and you can compare them on the Bimmer?
It's not good to arrive at a corner you don't know a little hot, then find it tightens on you!!

Stu

DC
20-03-14, 04:18 PM
Another option worth considering S1000R ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee0DuTz-q3o

MayallRob
29-03-14, 02:07 PM
Another option worth considering S1000R ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee0DuTz-q3o

I did have a look at this bike at the MCN London Motorcycle show. It was certainly more comfortable than the Double-R, but (and I know this might sound ridiculous) I don't like the look of it. Whereas the Double-R is really sleek, the S1000R seems really bulky, and though I love the headlights on the Double-R I don't think they look right on the S1000R.

It's a week today and I'll be sat riding my dream bike, and I am more than excited! I'm hoping to video the experience on my GoPro, and I'll let you all know my verdict :)