PDA

View Full Version : Rider dies in A371 collision

QB1
10-03-14, 01:18 PM
Very sad news https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/newsroom/serious-collision-on-a371-at-locking/rider-dies-in-a371-collision/

Swanny
10-03-14, 01:29 PM
RIP :(

Nelly
10-03-14, 01:41 PM
...and sadly it wasnt the only one in the UK this weekend. RIP :(

Dabz
10-03-14, 01:48 PM
Sad news, RIP :(

Wes
10-03-14, 05:53 PM
Tragic news RIP , looking at the map, its pretty much the same spot as i stopped for a rta which a rider got punted off, have to keep an eye out there.

Scotty
10-03-14, 06:06 PM
Looking at the map after following the URL it doesn't appear to be a particularly dodgy stretch of road, but maybe there are features along it that the map doesn't show.

Walking around town yesterday in shirt sleeves I couldn't help anticipate ring-rusty bikers across the country keeping the Traffic Division coppers busy as they enthusiastically launch themselves at the scenery. For medical reasons I won't be riding for some time, and my return to two wheels will hopefully be incident-free (first time out will probably be on the off-roader in a field, somewhere nice, slow and soft in case I encounter the Talent Gap...)

Dabz
10-03-14, 06:23 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was very rusty yesterday after a winter off the bike, and I'm not the most capable rider at the best of times!

Swanny
10-03-14, 06:24 PM
That's why you should ride all year. Not a problem with the right kit

QB1
10-03-14, 06:28 PM
To be fair and with respect to this man we dont know what happended here but yes I think most of us know the sun brings out some REALLY bad riding. Glad I'm not a traffic officer they must dread this time of year.

Dabz
10-03-14, 06:32 PM
That's why you should ride all year. Not a problem with the right kit

I've got the right kit, Just don't enjoy riding in the cold and covering the bike in salty road crap. I compensate by taking things very steady at the start of the season plus regular refreshers like bike safe. I agree riding year-round makes a better rider but it's not for me

Trev
10-03-14, 06:35 PM
A real pity to hear but unfortunately not a surprise given the huge increase in the number of bikes out this weekend compared to last, law of averages dictates.

Although there is no reason to suspect this poor biker was out for first ride of 'the season' (makes it sound like fishing) it is something to consider when the sun shines for the first time in a long while. Although I don't commute on a bike I do ride all year round and wouldn't fare well with a long lay off and then mixing it with the combo of dry roads, bright sunshine and choc full roads on my first ride out for several months, well done to all of you who enjoyed a great day out and kept it shiny side up.

Swanny
10-03-14, 06:41 PM
I've got the right kit, Just don't enjoy riding in the cold and covering the bike in salty road crap. I compensate by taking things very steady at the start of the season plus regular refreshers like bike safe. I agree riding year-round makes a better rider but it's not for me
Each to their own but I don't know how people manage to park their bikes up for the winter. I love riding so I cover the bike in ACF and wrap up warm.

I'm not suggesting the poor chap that died was a summer rider

QB1
10-03-14, 06:45 PM
I personally ride all year and cant imagine what its like not too but really dont want to turn this into an argument summer riders v all year riders.

This poor chap died today at 5.50am so sounds like a commuter.

BB
10-03-14, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear this RIP

Paintman
10-03-14, 06:57 PM
My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP

Dabz
10-03-14, 07:30 PM
The "think bike" tv adverts are prevalent during Spring and summer but maybe there's a case for them being aired earlier in the year to remind car drivers that bikes share the roads with them?

QB1
10-03-14, 08:03 PM
The "think bike" tv adverts are prevalent during Spring and summer but maybe there's a case for them being aired earlier in the year to remind car drivers that bikes share the roads with them?

......or maybe some ads to remind us bikers to take it steady and for all of us road users to respect each other on the roads but I suspect like the Think Bike campaign that would fall on deaf ears.

QB1
10-03-14, 08:09 PM
Here's the thoughts of someone who picks up the pieces -

https://www.facebook.com/HeliBikes/posts/674382585954321:0

wiltshire builders
10-03-14, 08:31 PM
To be fair and with respect to this man we dont know what happended here but yes I think most of us know the sun brings out some REALLY bad riding. Glad I'm not a traffic officer they must dread this time of year.
Reasons I didn't go out on Sunday:

1. It may have been sunny but the tarmac was still cold and no matter how good our intensions, we all get carried away now and then.
2. People go crazy at the first sniff of sunshine. All they can think about is getting to the park/beach/pool etc and don't concentrate on the dangerous job of driving.
3. Other road users are still in winter mode and aren't looking out for bikes.
4. I'm still in winter mode and haven't got in the groove yet.
5. I ride purely for fun. Winter riding on a sports bike is just stupid.

Today I spotted crash damage in Chippenham that beggars belief. There was a hedge with a cartoon style car shaped hole in it on my estate and a 30mph sign flat on the ground on the A4.
Our lives are in their hands!

Until we know more we can only speculate but this is tragic new none the less.
Obviously all our thoughts are with this poor mans family.

Nelly
10-03-14, 08:47 PM
Reasons I didn't go out on Sunday:

1. It may have been sunny but the tarmac was still cold and no matter how good our intensions, we all get carried away now and then.
2. People go crazy at the first sniff of sunshine. All they can think about is getting to the park/beach/pool etc and don't concentrate on the dangerous job of driving.
3. Other road users are still in winter mode and aren't looking out for bikes.
4. I'm still in winter mode and haven't got in the groove yet.
5. I ride purely for fun. Winter riding on a sports bike is just stupid.

Today I spotted crash damage in Chippenham that beggars belief. There was a hedge with a cartoon style car shaped hole in it on my estate and a 30mph sign flat on the ground on the A4.
Our lives are in their hands!

Until we know more we can only speculate but this is tragic new none the less.
Obviously all our thoughts are with this poor mans family.

Good post WB. I saw that hole as well today. Oddly enough just by it was a biker on the path having a big old conversation with the driver of a greensquare driver. Obviously another incident in the same spot.

I was on the ride out at the weekend. My first run in about 6 weeks. Not a desperately long time but long enough to get rusty. So before I hooked up with the rest of the group, I did a little 40 mile run round just to get the rhythm going again. Yes, we can all get a little ring rusty.

Got the wake up call I needed even before I got out of chippenham. Apparently, if you drive your car around early in the morning, on a Sunday, when no one else is around, there is no need to stop at red lights! Keep the eyes open people.

Dabz
10-03-14, 08:57 PM
+1 good post W.B

MARKTITCOMBE
11-03-14, 10:08 AM
Very sad! RIP

ST2589
11-03-14, 11:09 PM
Always makes me feel awful hearing of a fatality.

Thoughts are with the family and friends, RIP :(

redken1
12-03-14, 07:47 AM
RIP

bigpete
12-03-14, 08:40 AM
very sad news. RIP

Vulcanboy
12-03-14, 01:10 PM
RIP

Rabb
17-03-14, 08:36 PM
RIP - My thoughts are with his family & friends.

I ride throughout the year as I don't have a car.
If you tog up well theres no reason why you can't ride all year.
(Apart from the salt issue)
I draw the line at snow and I am lucky that my boss let's me book it as immediate holiday if the White stuff appears.
(She is an ex-biker who doesn't want to have to explain to her Director that I am not available for work as I had an accident in the snow/ice)
Great Boss by the way - Which I very rarely say.