PDA

View Full Version : Ouch - Triumph service

Dabz
10-03-14, 12:09 PM
Just booked my Street Triple in for it's big service..cheapest I found from ringing round was £550. Ouch..

Dabz
10-03-14, 12:23 PM
oh forgot to mention..one benefit is that I get a "free" courtesy bike. Small mercies..

Swanny
10-03-14, 12:53 PM
Haha it's not free, they've included it in the price.

Dabz
10-03-14, 01:50 PM
Yup exactly...love their definition of "free"! I did ask whether I could have the money off instead and catch the train back to work, but they said no

Uber Dave
10-03-14, 02:29 PM
Still under warrenty? If not go elsewhere mate, thats stupid money!

Dabz
10-03-14, 02:41 PM
Nah it's outside of warranty but apparently you need some sort of particular triumph tool to get to the bits that need balancing, and everyone else I've spoken to has said they can't do it. Usually I'd do everything but that part of the service but it hasn't been serviced for a few years so needs some TLC

WR6133
10-03-14, 02:42 PM
Your service costs more than my bike! That seems insane for a service though... are they actually doing anything you can't do yourself or pay a cheaper garage to do?

Edit - you must be telepathic you answered me before I clicked post :D

Kevinb
11-03-14, 08:48 AM
oh forgot to mention..one benefit is that I get a "free" courtesy bike. Small mercies..

Should have asked for a Rocket Roadster and get your monies worth.

shiftyblake
11-03-14, 06:55 PM
Ring Keith at Master-Tech he collects and delivers. He has all the modern tools etc.

Snowy
11-03-14, 07:10 PM
Thats 70% more than my Beemer would be if I had it dealer serviced. What exactly is it they need to balance to require special tools?

Dabz
11-03-14, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure, I've posted on the street triple owners forums to try to find out. Must be something odd because all the independents I've called have said they can't do it

wiltshire builders
11-03-14, 07:39 PM
What were you expecting to pay?
It does seem a little steep. A major service (where they check valve clearances) would normally cost around £350. Seeing as you have one less cylinder than me I'd expect it to be £233!

whizz
11-03-14, 07:41 PM
dabz give me a call ...

Dabz
11-03-14, 07:46 PM
Yeh I was expecting 350ish

Whizz, great to hear from you mate :) will give you a bell tomorrow

DC
11-03-14, 07:59 PM
I went to Blade Triumph and they wanted close to £500 !!! for a full service on the Bonny.(2 cylinders)I can't see that figure anywhere but suppose Franchise overheads and "hidden" costs have a lot to do with that sort of quote:confused: Steve Lynham said he would do it for less than half of that !!!

Senna(Dan)
13-03-14, 09:34 AM
My major service is due on my Street and I was quoted £190 for the service and £29.65 for MOT at Pure Triumph Wellingborough. Bit of a trek for me but they will pick it up and drop it off the following day because I bought it from them.

Rabb
13-03-14, 01:29 PM
If it's silly money and out of warranty - go somewhere else.
I've heard the 'special tool' thing before (and I've actually completed jobs on cars where "you can only do it with a special tool mate"
I completed the job and without the so called "Special tool"
Go to someone else.
I have a mate who has a HP4 BMW - he's been doing his own maintenance on his bikes (10 +) for in excess of 20 years.
He wants a special tool from them which they won't give him (he has offered to buy it from them) - he is in discussions with the boys in their headquarters in Germany and talks are on-going apparently.

He won't give up easily trust me.
He'll go to the chief exec if necessary

gibbo
14-03-14, 10:35 AM
Have you tried Keith at Mastertec Calne?