PDA

View Full Version : It's not abut the price tag....!

Geordie Stu
07-03-14, 09:11 AM
While browsing tinternet. Stumbled on an interesting website. I paid a small fortune for my Arai (Monster) lid & it appears while it meets the standards it doesn't appear to rate highly. So things to consider when buying a New lid

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?page=2

Dabz
07-03-14, 09:19 AM
INteresting stuff. I'm long overdue a new lid, mine's about 6 years old

Rabb
07-03-14, 10:16 AM
So true.
Always check the star rating - despite the price.
I intend to race at the IOM grand prix in 2016 and have bought all of my new kit on the basis that I could come off and I need the best protection that my kit will give me.

Swanny
07-03-14, 10:20 AM
My Shark is a 4 star
I'm very happy with it :cool:

For those that don't ride much you can get a 5 star for £60 Duchinni D832 (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/duchinni-d832)

Goldie
07-03-14, 10:40 AM
I've got a Schuberth C3 and I love it - my previous Shark lid had a better 'rating' but it whistled at speeds over 40mph and felt like I was wearing a bobble hat full of bricks. Comfort counts too :)

Rabb
07-03-14, 10:56 AM
My Shoei is 5 star rated, comfortable and really well vented (because I get too hot)!

wiltshire builders
07-03-14, 04:45 PM
It's not that simple.
A mate of mine bought a new lid for our trip to France a few years ago. I'd never heard of the make but it Fitted beautifully, looked good was cheap and had a 5* rating.
2 days in and I noticed 2 red marks on the top of his head (he's a baldy)
He said the helmet was now really uncomfortable.

I only ever wear an Arai now.
I recently went go-karting and used my old AGV which I previously thought was good.
I can't believe I manged to put up with it!

Comfort is my main priority. If you're distracted by a bad fit then you're gonna need every one of those 5 stars.

Swanny
07-03-14, 06:12 PM
I hated mine when I first bought it. Took a while to break in but now it's lovely and comfy

Dabz
07-03-14, 06:15 PM
I hated mine when I first bought it. Took a while to break in but now it's lovely and comfy

Yeh mine really hurt when it was new, now nicely molded to my head :)

wiltshire builders
07-03-14, 06:31 PM
Yeh mine really hurt when it was new, now nicely molded to my head :)

Or did your head mold to the helmet :-D

Dabz
07-03-14, 07:14 PM
Probably a bit of both ;)

Senna(Dan)
13-03-14, 09:42 AM
Have tried most types of helmet and my Shark RSR2 is amazing, took a while to bed in but now fits perfectly.

I can't have AGV, Arai or Shoei due to me having a weird shaped head, a small is too big and the XS gives me an instant headache.

The shark is 5 star rated so I am more than happy.

bigpete
13-03-14, 09:53 AM
really like my shoei neotec, bedded in very well, then I dropped it!

Rabb
13-03-14, 12:57 PM
really like my shoei neotec, bedded in very well, then I dropped it!

Bugger - I did the same but luckily it landed on one of the many air intakes (so I replaced it)