PDA

View Full Version : What trousers?

Linford
02-03-14, 10:09 PM
Hi all. Although I'm not yet a biker (cbt, mod1 & 2 booked in April! !). I'm now looking at what sort of trousers to go for. Do I go for a large size and have my jeans underneath? Are trousers with braces better? I'm guessing the more armour the better. What in your opinion is a good cheapish brand to go for?
Cheers
Lee

DC
02-03-14, 11:05 PM
I've been using Richa waterproof armoured textiles for a number of years,not the best and not the worst,but have worked for me,it might be worth having a look in Mega M/C in Swindon,they have a lot of reasonably priced leathers and textiles.

Linford
02-03-14, 11:10 PM
Will do..many thanks DC :) the jacket ive bought has a zip at the back to attach trousers. .are these universal e.g. would another brands trousers attach to this?

DC
02-03-14, 11:34 PM
Its possible that other brands will fit each other but zips may be different,worth taking the jacket with you to make sure.

Rabb
02-03-14, 11:59 PM
As far as I'm concerned leather all the way on the protection front.
Yep and you'll need ce protection too.
As DC said "Take a trip to Swindon (Motorcycle Superstore)" and try some on.
Lots of comparatively low price points but usually leather costs a little bit more.
Another good idea is to work out what size you are and buy second hand on eBay.
- You can get some real bargains!
But the best you can afford and upgrade when you progress.
Fit & comfort are the most important things after the protection factor.
Happy riding when you start !
By the way don't do the trousers underneath bit or you'll be able to fry an egg on you Kahunas!

Linford
03-03-14, 12:08 AM
Lol Rabb..I certainly don't want to overheat down there! Good idea about trying stuff on to get an idea for the size - as I have been told motorcycle clothing sizing can be somewhat snug compared to ordinary cloths? Then I'll search ebay for a bargain

Annie
03-03-14, 08:34 AM
Hi Linford.
I have quite a lot of good quality second hand trousers at the shop (Cora Leathers). Leather and textile.
The joining zips rarely match make to make, that is easily sorted, especially so if the jacket has the other half of the zip with it, or the trousers.
I can help you if needed in that respect.
M/cycles is a good place to get your sizing, make a mental note of the size to the make.
I bought a jacket from there a few weeks back for the Trike and it was a French make and I had to get a XXL.........I nearly fell over.
Happy shopping

Swanny
03-03-14, 09:18 AM
If the trousers are too loose then the armour won't work, it will just move out of the way.
I have leathers for winter and denim for summer
I reckon these are the best jeans http://www.grinfactor.com/
I don't have any but will do soon

QB1
03-03-14, 10:00 AM
Personally I wouldnt do jeans underneath. I dont think they are really designed for that and they will soon get pretty hot and uncomfortable.

Never used braces myself but been quite lucky and got some that fit well.

Zipping any trousers to a jacket is a good idea.

You then have the age old question of leather v textile and everyone has an opinion on that!

You will find quite a variation in sizes so trying them on can be quite a good idea.

You really want to look out for something with CE armour. Do a bit of research on Google.

The Megamotorcycle store in Swindon is OK, cheap and cheerful but sometimes lacking in choice for sizes unless you are particularly big or small. I reckon J&S and Fowlers in Bristol are better and you get some decent advice from the staff there too.

Ebay is another option.

Ghostbikes online is good too - they do a range of cheaper bike clothing called 'Black' no idea if its any good though.

Swanny
03-03-14, 10:57 AM
I use braces on my leathers just because they are heavy and drag themselves down

Linford
03-03-14, 12:50 PM
thanks guys and gals, think I need to try try some on and see what types feel the most comfortable.. i believe saftey gear is provided with Phoenix, so I've got till 25th April (touch wood!) to find something- thanks for all your replies :)

Mal103
03-03-14, 01:35 PM
If you are near Trowbridge then try out www.nutz4bikes (http://www.nutz4bikes).co.uk they have a good selection and price range. Maybe get ones with liners that can be removed, i'm currently wearing trousers and over-trousers with a liner as it's cold, you then have another layer to remove if Spring gets here...

I ended up with XXXL to get the length in the legs as the knee caps rose above my knees after i got comfy on the bike...

Conehead
03-03-14, 02:36 PM
Swanny wears braces because he is an old man :D

Goldie
03-03-14, 05:53 PM
I've got Hein Gericke fabrics for winter and I wear skinny jeans or thermals underneath (but I'm a girl and hate being cold) I either wear HG leathers or Draggin/Red route jeans in the summer.

Swanny
03-03-14, 08:41 PM
Swanny wears braces because he is an old man :D

Watch it or you won't get to be an old man ;)

Vulcanboy
04-03-14, 11:49 AM
... and just what is wrong with wearing bracers?

Anyway, I find Leather in summer and Textile in the winter works for me. My leathers have ventilation slots to keep you cool in the summer, hence they are not warm in the winter ( 3 degrees centigrade and 70 mph in the rain is quite a chill factor). The textiles are toasty warm and fully waterproof. :rolleyes:. Richard

Sins
06-04-14, 09:44 AM
Just remember whatever you go for..leather or textile.. To do the "pretend you're on your bike stance" everything gets a bit tighter when you swing your leg over a bike.. Mega motorcycles let me sit on one of their machines..it's saved a few high pitched problems later..lol

Trev
06-04-14, 10:10 AM
A few thoughts from my experience: when I got back into road bikes in a more serious way about 15 years ago my leathers were not only a little snug (why do they always shrink?) but also well out of date on style but more importantly protection. With not a huge amount of disposable income I went the ebay route and did get some decent gear (it's amazing how many change their gear with the colour of their bike!) but found it almost impossible to get a good fit and, over 3 or 4 years saw me buying a reselling quite a bit.
I eventually ended up with a one year old, hardly used set of Alpinestar leathers and had zips modded to give a tiny bit more room and match my textiles (tip 1; use a proper motorcycle clothing modifier for this, Hill for Leather near Andover has been my choice for years but there are plenty of others).
4 years ago I splashed out on a set of HG Goretex textiles and, although a little pricey (£600+ I recall) I wished I had done so in the first place, great fit, totally waterproof (reproofed them this year), hard wearing, comfortable and vents and liners to suit all but the very hottest days. I do prefer leathers but absolutely hate the faff of pulling on a waterproof oversuit (which usually isn't anyway) and as I ride all year round, so if it looks likely to be damp then usually textiles or sometimes leather troos and textile jacket (matching zips remember).
I always wear a base layer under my trousers, thinnest possible if warm but stops your legs sticking to the inner lining and adds that bit of extra warmth if chilly. Check out Lidl/Aldi when they come up, also use a windproof Montane walking top as packs to size of an apple but works brilliantly for it's weight/thickness. Have base layers with windproof surfaces but find myself not using them often as prefer separate layers.
In short; get the best you can afford (second hand can be very good), try your kit on before buying (and adopt bike crouch as Sins says), look after - wash and reproof at least once a year and try to build up a wardrobe that complements/works with your other kit - and not in a Gok Wan way!

Sins
06-04-14, 12:11 PM
One tip I would recommend ..although it's not strictly about trousers is wearing..sealskin socks..bit pricey.. (£35) but they can go under your favourite boots and keep your feet completely dry.. Gore text is fantastic but if they get wet inside they do take ages to dry. And when space is at a premium you can take the socks just incase, and not have your feet bake in gortex when the weathers warm...

BB
06-04-14, 04:09 PM
Sealskinz are excellent socks, I'd recommend them :cool: