PDA

View Full Version : Weekend On Two Wheels

shrinkingviolet
02-03-14, 04:20 PM
For me this has been quite a weekend. The first proper playtime since passing my test in November and it's been quite a learning curve. Too my son pillion again and found it to be a much more relaxing experience this time. I think we were both feeling happier about it and despite me saying we would only be going round the block omce we were moving I decided sod it, keep rolling!

In yesterday's dry weather I was feeling so confident I tackled a couple of junctions on the motorway (without boy pillion, he was on the back of someone else for this), which to be honest wasn't a problem at all and I felt fine. Noticed how going past a lorry can give you a good old suck and blow (which in some circumstances can mean the same thing :o) having only done motorway on a bike as pillion before I never really appreciated how this feels as a rider but soon learned head down, throttle on seemed to be the best option. I even learned what my 'power band' is all about!

Despite my riding coming on so well yesterday I got back out today and after twenty minutes in the battering wind and rain I had to stop by the side of the road to have a cigarette and assess wtf had happened to my riding?!?! It was shocking! Fortunately, I was out with a twenty-year experienced rider who told me to sort my sh1t out and get the f**k on with it (in the nicest possible way). In reflection I know the only difference was a bit of rain and my confidence is growing steadily. Just need to stop over thinking it. After a pub lunch the journey back from Gloucester was wet and windy but much better.

All in all been a fantastic weekend and I feel I have improved greatly.. Just need more sunshine to keep getting out there and progressing. Saw some bikers around yesterday so managed to practice my nods too.

Hope everyone had a fab weekend regardless of how many wheels you were on.

Ps. What's the etiquette with nodding to scooters? As far as I'm concerned two wheels is two wheels but some seemed unwilling to nod back. Is there something I don't know?

Mel
Mine is NOT the pink one!! Lol

Trev
02-03-14, 04:38 PM
Glad you've had a good weekend on the bike and enjoying gaining experience, nothing like a bit of wet weather to sharpen the riding skills ; )

Unfortunately I've not got out as garage bound trying to sort a couple of my bikes out before I end up with more off the road than on. Bit the bullet and got the tools out all day today, not made the progress I wanted to but getting there with one of them. Off to France tmrw for a few days (business not pleasure) so won't get a chance to pick the spanners up again until next weekend but aim to get at least one day out on a bike, maybe a potter down to Poole to meet some of you WB'ers

Last Train
02-03-14, 05:02 PM
Nice shrinkyV

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I was out with a few other WB's yesterday for a bit of play.

:cool:

WR6133
02-03-14, 05:08 PM
Ps. What's the etiquette with nodding to scooters? As far as I'm concerned two wheels is two wheels but some seemed unwilling to nod back. Is there something I don't know?

Lots of people don't nod to peds so they get confused when you do.

Sounds like a good weekend, I'm envious I was stuck in again.

Wes
02-03-14, 08:02 PM
Good to get out for a bit myself Saturday, bikes passed the mot, and all good to go for next Sunday :)
Riding in crappy conditions makes you appreciate the dryer/ warmer times. Nice bike there Sv :)

Mal103
02-03-14, 08:36 PM
I was busy working Saturday but did see Last Train out and about - although I was in a Land Rover at the time. Did some little jobs on the Bandit and took a Sprint out for a test ride today.

Riding in the wet is very different and a sixth sense seems to make you not lean too far and slow right down - don't worry as experience will get you there but now and again you will be reminded of the conditions with a slip or a bump on our lovely flat roads.

Nods are done mostly by bikes and not scooters, not everyone nods back, some commuters don't, most small bikes don't and some of the larger bikes don't. I have no problems with nodding to most and not offended if they don't nod back, I even find myself nodding in the dark out of habit...

Rabb
02-03-14, 09:35 PM
Hi SV.
Glad you enjoyed your riding.

I ride all year round, and yep the wind and rain does make a massive difference to how the bike & you react but, as people have already said "You have to know the bad to fully appreciate the good".

As for the sucking and blowing of lorries - you will get used to it. If it's raining and windy you will notice things that you wouldn't normally.
For instance, if you are on a fast A road riding towards a lorry with the wind & spray going left to right stay closer to your side of the road (Postion 1) otherwise you wind get hit by the wind blast and spray from the lorry.
If you are travelling at 60mph and the lorry is doing the same it hits you like a brick wall of air - so keep left in these circumstances.

The more riding experience you gain in crappy conditions will
make you become a better rider! Bear in mind that your mindset also has to change with the weather conditions i.e. Bad conditions mean reducing your speed, lean angles, braking times (& places where you brake and also how you brake - engine braking, rear brake only, front brake only, braking in tandem)

Learn from your experiences and you won't go far wrong.

Above all enjoy your riding and dont worry about making errors - life is a learning curve and we only progress and get better at things if we use our skills and learn from our errors or inexperience.

Swanny
03-03-14, 09:23 AM
I nod at everyone even Harley riders :confused:

QB1
03-03-14, 09:49 AM
Hi Shrinking Violet I had a great weekend on the bike too. :)

You certainly learn a lot by venturing out in bad weather and just getting lots of practice - I never really understand how people who will only ride in the summer on dry roads manage when it rains.

Have you ever considered some advanced training too something like IAM or RoSPA? I got a lot from that.

As for nodding - me I nod at them all, all 2 or 3 wheelers. Doesnt bother me if people ignore me.

Swanny
03-03-14, 10:52 AM
You certainly learn a lot by venturing out in bad weather and just getting lots of practice - I never really understand how people who will only ride in the summer on dry roads manage when it rains.

They don't :D they are inexperienced
Rain is not as scary as those people think