PDA

View Full Version : Manual choke problem

Rabb
23-02-14, 12:37 PM
I have a problem on my 600 GSXR.
When cold I start using the choke - fine it starts, and revs at about 4k but then it drops down on the revs and stalls.
It also stalls if I am dropping down gears from high speed and it seems to be an associated problem.
When warm it doesn't happen - any ideas.

Idle speed is slightly above what it should be at 1400rpm - due to this problem.

The choke seems to be working as it should (as I have had it apart to check)

MayallRob
23-02-14, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately Rabb I can't offer any advice for your problem, but wanted to post as I was just about to start a very similar thread.

Last weekend my bike stalled after turning it on because of the low temperatures. I went to turn it on again with the choke, but when i pulled the choke lever down i felt it 'give' in my fingers. I assume I snapped the choke cable? Either way, it doesn't work anymore.

How easy is it to replace the choke cable myself?

I managed to catch it all on video too, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRqZ6WI4Ogc

wheelers
23-02-14, 05:12 PM
big question is useage!
is this a new problem or has the bike not been used for a while?
sounds like a blocked jet maybe one of the carb heaters has gone down

Rabb
23-02-14, 06:27 PM
Thanks all
On further investigation it appear that I need a new cable.
I've taken the cable assembly apart and the adjustment part of the cable was sheared (it still works and is not completely broken, but it let's the cable slide back very slowly - the break was covered by the lock nut - so it was invisible)
It's always the simple things that catch us out!

New cable needed.

Rabb
07-03-14, 07:22 AM
New Cable fitted - this has resolved the stall problem when 'Block changing down' and my starting problem too - go figure (I don't know why it's sorted the stall problem? Ah, maybe it was not fully disengaging the choke and it was flooding due to the amount of fuel in the system after high reving?
Sorted anyway - very happy :-)

Conehead
07-03-14, 09:26 AM
Think your assumption is correct and it was causing it to flood. Glad you got it figured out so quick.

Rabb
07-03-14, 07:57 PM
You know what happens - you change one cable and all the rest look dodgy too.
Throttle cables done too, and new grips to top it off - ready for the summer.
Yeeeeehaaaa!

Thanks Conehead - The annoying thing is that it's been like it since I bought it (3 years ago) - I should have done something about it sooner!
Happy bunny now !

Rabb
10-05-14, 08:46 PM
Update.
I was wrong about it being the cable - as the problem with cold starts and stalling on dropout down gears has reared it's ugly head again but, I think I've sorted it out finally!!!

I changed my battery over Today to discover that the holding nut in the positive terminal was skewed in it's mount inside the terminal - this has resulted in intermittent contact with the positive battery terminal.
This I believe is responsible for my erratic idle, lack of performance, constant stalling (especially on my tests - which cost me a bloody fortune) dimming headlights and eventually last night the terrible clicking sound where the battery didn't have enough juice to start my bike.
I have started my bike from cold after the repairs Today and all is sweet - keep the revs up until warm e.t.c.
I have long journey Tomorrow and I am sure that my down-shifting will now not result in a stall.
Bring on the sunshine.........

After I

Rabb
11-05-14, 12:24 AM
After I have my trip Tomorrow - I'll let you know if the stall problem has go away on down-shifting

Conehead
11-05-14, 10:50 PM
Good luck, I hope you have it sorted.

Wes
12-05-14, 06:03 AM
How did it go ?

Rabb
18-05-14, 11:28 PM
Thanks for asking Wes!
The short story is that I broke down - and was recovered home.
When I got home I decided to load test the battery and I found the fault that has been giving me all of the following problems.
1. Occasional poor acceleration.
2. Stalls on down-shifting
3. Choke problems
4. Erratic idle

On my bike there is a connector block (Shielded Male/Female connector block) between the main wiring loom and the rectifier.
The Male part of thus block was corroded and had been shorting across the terminals. From the outside all looked fine but when the block was separated it was the Male terminals that were shagged.
I hard wired to new insulated terminals and now it's like riding a new bike.
It wasn't charging the battery and obviously the lack of power to the loom stalled the bike on change downs and when the choke was engaged too.
All problems have now gone and it cost me about 10 minutes of my time and six insulated terminals and a lot is insulation tape to seal completely.

Very, very Happy Bunny.