PDA

View Full Version : The vanishing point changing direction with speed myth !!!

shiftyblake
06-02-14, 07:02 PM
Can't believe people are still peddling the myth that a vanishing point moving opposite to the corner means that you can increase your speed next time. The faster speed will stabilise the movement of the vanishing point at the right speed. CRAP ! The vanishing point will not change direction or stabilise because of speed, it will always move in the same direction or directions every time you take the corner as the curve is the same each time. All that happens the faster you go is that the point moves faster !!!!

Snowy
06-02-14, 07:14 PM
I just ride my bike - how I actually do that I have no idea and care even less ;)

Ade
06-02-14, 08:56 PM
.. can't quite work out what you are explaining here !!

Mal103
06-02-14, 10:22 PM
I think I get it, I think of a similar thing where you can see your braking distance, unless you can see around corners/bends then you may not see your braking distance if going too fast.

Conehead
06-02-14, 11:24 PM
I have tried to apply logic to riding but couldn't get it right, now I just leave my riding as ****.

shiftyblake
07-02-14, 12:00 PM
I should have posted the original article and dumbed my comments down a bit ! appologies

QB1
07-02-14, 12:17 PM
.. can't quite work out what you are explaining here !!

Glad its not just me them....I'm confused.

Wish I'd learnt about vanishing points years ago.

For anyone interested I reckon this is a pretty good explanation http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/articles/the-visual-point-and-dead-ground/

Snowy
07-02-14, 08:07 PM
Glad its not just me them....I'm confused.

Wish I'd learnt about vanishing points years ago.

For anyone interested I reckon this is a pretty good explanation http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/articles/the-visual-point-and-dead-ground/

I only heard about vanishing points and counter steering in the last five years or so. God knows how I managed to ride a bike for thirty years before someone analysed how it was done and put names to it. Sometimes I wonder if people think to much about what they're supposed to do and never use their senses.

BB
07-02-14, 09:03 PM
Agreed Snowy :D

DC
07-02-14, 09:30 PM
Far too much to try and calculate , It's always been a feeling for me and some days it feels really right and other days not so sharp .

Ade
08-02-14, 12:23 PM
Vanishing point .... also known as the limit point.

Defined in The Police Rider's Handbook as .." the furthest point along a road to which you have an uninterrupted view of the road surface. On a level stretch of road this will be where the right-hand side of the road appears to intersect with the left-hand side of the road.
To ride safely you must be able to stop on your own side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear - that is, the distance between you and the limit point.
Match your speed to the speed at which the limit point moves away from you, providing you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear.
The technique of limit point analysis is to match your speed to the speed at which the limit point appears to move. If it is moving away from you, accelerate. If it is coming closer or staying standing still, decelerate or brake".

All part of the System .... IPSGA .... Information - Position - Speed - Gear - Acceleration.

Hondafan
08-02-14, 02:33 PM
Vanishing point .... also known as the limit point.

Defined in The Police Rider's Handbook as .." the furthest point along a road to which you have an uninterrupted view of the road surface. On a level stretch of road this will be where the right-hand side of the road appears to intersect with the left-hand side of the road.
To ride safely you must be able to stop on your own side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear - that is, the distance between you and the limit point.
Match your speed to the speed at which the limit point moves away from you, providing you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear.
The technique of limit point analysis is to match your speed to the speed at which the limit point appears to move. If it is moving away from you, accelerate. If it is coming closer or staying standing still, decelerate or brake".

All part of the System .... IPSGA .... Information - Position - Speed - Gear - Acceleration.

Agreed, Not rocket science is it?

If you can't see very far ahead, don't ride fast.

As with every thing in modern life it has to have a name to be trendy and will be even better if you can come up with a fancy TLA.

Sins
09-02-14, 10:11 AM
Definitely not rocket science.. But it's something that needs to be taught by people who know what they're doing rather than over a pint.. We all drive or ride nearly every day and get to see some dreadful examples of bad driving.

If you are traveling at a speed that would take 50 metres to stop ..but can only see 30 metres ..be it around the next corner ..over the brow of a hill or in bad conditions.. Then eventually things will go badly wrong.