PDA

View Full Version : Backhanded Compliment

shrinkingviolet
27-01-14, 08:47 PM
Took my son (11 yrs old) out for a spin on Saturday in the brief hours the sun actually shone. My first time with a pillion and I don't know who was more nervous.

However, made it to my friend's house and after he got off announced that I am a totally "beast" mum (I think this is a good thing), and beamed quite seriously "Wow, I didn't fall off and I didn't even die".

I'm so pleased he had such faith in me!

DC
27-01-14, 09:08 PM
Awesome !!! :cool:

Nelly
28-01-14, 07:08 AM
Totally Beast! That's sic. I think :)

WR6133
28-01-14, 09:41 AM
I think in his eyes you are probably the best parent on the planet (but in 5 years time he's going to be begging for a ped)! :D

He'll be wanting a lift to school on it next

StreetHippo
28-01-14, 11:56 AM
Beast is indeed good!
Stu

shrinkingviolet
28-01-14, 01:03 PM
Well for single parent no one could argue he doesn't get encouragement to what it traditionally non-girly stuff. Barbie dolls never appealed to me, don't get me wrong I'm girly in all the right ways but I'd rather be "beast" any day lol. I'm already booked in for a school run soon although I don't think leathers are in the school uniform rules.

He's just decided he wants to take up motocross, so if anyone knows of anything in the area I'd appreciate it. He's eleven but size wise he's the stature of a 13-14 yr old.

MayallRob
28-01-14, 02:32 PM
Thats really cool and he sounds like he loved it! I remember the first time I took a pillion passenger, it was my girlfriend on the back and I was terrified! Trying to balance the bike when stationary or at slow speeds was scary. After 2 years of riding and carrying pillion I love it now. She's good too, she feels like a part of the bike when shes on the back, she knows how to lean and position herself etc :)

The girlfriends nephew really wants a pillion ride but hes only 5, I keep saying "not until your feet can sit properly on the footpegs" as an excuse. Don't think Id like that responsibility...

wiltshire builders
28-01-14, 02:40 PM
"Wow, I didn't fall off and I didn't even die".

I say the same after most rideouts ;)

8_ball
28-01-14, 02:53 PM
Wicked, my daughter 13 now loves coming on the back .........but hates me saying that I will pick her up from school..its a youth thing (I cant remember that !!)
I took my Mrs out for the first time this summer and tried my hardest to make her never to want to go on it again (a plan to single seat my bike ??) it never worked she just kept shouting go faster im OK.... we did not stick around and is asking to go out for rides when ever the kids are not about all the time ...
well done there shrinkingviolet, get some cheap intercom things they're great and a real piece of mind on how they feel on the back too

Snowy
28-01-14, 05:53 PM

Ha ha ha....yes, spot on!

I've taken many pillions over the years including my ex when she was 8 months pregnant to visit my parents which didn't go down too well. I've taken two of my kids on the back (my lad came on several rideouts as well) and they really enjoyed it. I have to say though that I ride like an IAM Observer when they're on the back. I have an intercom system so would instruct them to either do the "v" sign or give a wave to car drivers whilst we're filtering depending on how nice they've been..... they liked doing that bit.

Wes
29-01-14, 06:04 PM
Result, glad he enjoyed it :) theres a few mx tracks dotted around, pay on the day sort of thing, with paramedic support, but he would need to have all the right equipment and a bike!
My youngest has a 50cc twist and go mini moto which he rides on a patch of rough ground, maybe something like that may be worth a try :)

RoadRocket
29-01-14, 09:43 PM
When I was about 6 years old my uncle took me out for a ride on his brand new 500 AJS (yes I'm that old). I loosened my grip on his jacket when he pulled up at the traffic lights at the bottom of my road. When he accelerated away from the lights I shot off the back and and landed on my arse. I can remember the two blokes in the van behind me pissing themselves. That was my very first experience on a bike and the reason I hate riding either as a pillion or with one.

Trev
30-01-14, 12:09 PM

very good, I get some rides like that as well ;)

Trev
30-01-14, 12:21 PM
When I was about 6 years old my uncle took me out for a ride on his brand new 500 AJS (yes I'm that old). I loosened my grip on his jacket when he pulled up at the traffic lights at the bottom of my road. When he accelerated away from the lights I shot off the back and and landed on my arse. I can remember the two blokes in the van behind me pissing themselves. That was my very first experience on a bike and the reason I hate riding either as a pillion or with one.

I'm the same with pillion, haven't ridden as pillion since the days when O only had bikes and was forced to scab a ride when my bike had broken down or been bent. Always seemed to be the nutter mate who was going your way or offered a lift, too many scary moments to recall.

My wife enjoys the odd pillion ride out locally and occasional longer trip but really it's not my preference, for me biking is all about individual choice and having to make a compromise on your decisions (quick, slow, stop here, stop there, go home cos it's raining, carry on cos it's raining, 2 minutes pee break, hour long stare at some bikes, etc) + the responsibility always takes the shine of a bike ride for me. I know some who almost always only ride or tour two up and love it but riding is pretty much the only time I get to be responsible for myself and almost myself alone so the selfish side of me usually wins out. For the same reasons, and a couple of others, I'm not really into group rides.

Col
30-01-14, 04:00 PM
'a totally "beast" mum'......................pmsl!!!!

Senna(Dan)
11-02-14, 01:41 AM
Ridden pillion once and never again.

Doing in excess of 180mph and having no control is an experience I would wish on nobody! My mate had to calm me down as I had gone a distinctive shade of white as he started braking as late as he could to scare the life out of me.

Glad he enjoyed it, I remember when my mum took my borther to school on a Honda Cub and he fell asleep. It was only 2 and a half miles to school!

Goldie
11-02-14, 06:45 PM
haha, beast - that's pretty cool. I take my daughter out on the back - she's ten and thinks she's the dogs b0llocks turning up at school on the back of a bike :cool: