PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Swindon

nelsonmf
15-01-14, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I know many of you are from Swindon and I would like to ask your opinion where to rent a house/apartment. I'm moving from Salisbury because of work.
Can you advice me what are the best places to live and the ones to avoid within Swindon? So far I've been looking in old town and around it (south of the train line). Also I'm trying to avoid the areas started with P as I read on the internet... not sure if it is just a joke.

I would really appreciate your help. Maybe we can join up there for some rides when I've relocated. It's almost summer...

Thank you.

Annie
16-01-14, 08:26 AM
No disrespect to those that live there, but I worked for the Courts/Police for some 6/7 years and I would definitely NOT look in Penhill (in the Valley, bottom part) or some parts of Pinehurst.
Walcot, Park North/South are all pretty good.

WR6133
16-01-14, 08:33 AM
http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php that website shows the insurance ratings for postcodes. Not as good as local knowledge but can give a clue as to an area.

Brizzer
16-01-14, 07:52 PM
lol yea I was told to avoid places that start with P aswell, old town is a good place to be looking but can be a bit pricey to rent , but there is a new estate just down the hill from old town "wichelstowe" its were I live, mite be worth a look in there for rental properties but where are you working as it can get pretty congested in Swindon in the mornings and around 530 ish onwards so may be good to look for something close to your place of work

nelsonmf
16-01-14, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you a lot, very helpful.
Annie, I thought the park north and south were bad areas.
WR6133, thanks, actually does not look too bad looking at that.
Brizzer, I'll work in malmesbury. I wanted Bristol but the rental prices are prohibitive and malmesbury has nothing to do.

nelsonmf
16-01-14, 08:56 PM
What about close to Asda in the north? It's cheap (maybe that's a sign that's not good) and it has asda, so it's easy to do shopping, specially the last minute shopping.

EDIT - actually they are not cheap on that area as I thought. Don't want this area anymore :p

Annie
17-01-14, 08:38 AM
Parks have come up in the world over the last few years and quite a lot of investment in new shopping area, the college site and housing.
You are always going to have a down side to wherever you go.
For instance we live in Old Walcot and get all the football crowd and people use it as a free park and walk to town.
Hope all goes well with your search.

njl
17-01-14, 11:46 PM
If you are going to Malmesbury I'd suggest Wootton Bassett, Grange Park or Freshbrook. Wichelstowe will also be ok once they open the roads again to get out that side of town.

nelsonmf
18-01-14, 08:27 AM
I'm having a look. I prefer want to be closer to asda/tesco shops, closer to gyms, town, etc. Grange Park and Fressbrook seem not too far from town but don't seem to offer better houses/flats than in old town for the same price. Will keep looking.

Thanks Annie and njl.

MayallRob
19-01-14, 05:48 PM
If you are going to Malmesbury I'd suggest Wootton Bassett, Grange Park or Freshbrook. Wichelstowe will also be ok once they open the roads again to get out that side of town.

I live in Bassett and would recommend it. We've got lots of mini Tescos, a Morrisons, Iceland and Sainsburys (and whatever else is on the High Street). Only takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get to West Swindon where theres an ASDA and a few gyms, 20 minutes to get into the center of Swindon and 5 minutes to get to the M4, and theres plenty of excellent biking roads around here. The crime rate is also pretty low I think.

Definitely something to consider I think. Couldn't tell you how much rent would cost though...

nelsonmf
19-01-14, 06:20 PM
I live in Bassett and would recommend it. We've got lots of mini Tescos, a Morrisons, Iceland and Sainsburys (and whatever else is on the High Street). Only takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get to West Swindon where theres an ASDA and a few gyms, 20 minutes to get into the center of Swindon and 5 minutes to get to the M4, and theres plenty of excellent biking roads around here. The crime rate is also pretty low I think.

Definitely something to consider I think. Couldn't tell you how much rent would cost though...

Hi Maya,
It really looks good. Just saw renting prices and they seem just a little bit higher than in swindon but the offer is much lower, so no much choice.

My main concern is that I use a lot the gym after work and if I live in basset, not sure if I want to make a 20 min trip from the gym back to home late in the evening. I'm also living alone and Basset seems a bit too quiet to meet people. I know Swindon is just 20min but it's 20min every time when wanting to go out.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye in basset too.

Morticia
09-08-14, 03:57 PM
Old town is good. The Ps and Walcot not so much.

Cheney manor, Rodbourne, Liden, Eldene, COate, all good. You've got plenty of choice.

Morticia
09-08-14, 04:00 PM
Hi Maya,
It really looks good. Just saw renting prices and they seem just a little bit higher than in swindon but the offer is much lower, so no much choice.

My main concern is that I use a lot the gym after work and if I live in basset, not sure if I want to make a 20 min trip from the gym back to home late in the evening. I'm also living alone and Basset seems a bit too quiet to meet people. I know Swindon is just 20min but it's 20min every time when wanting to go out.

I think the Marriott (if you come in through Old Town) would be the nearest. If you come through West Swine town, you've got the Hilton and a bit further in simply gym, for like £20 a month. gym

Dan
23-08-14, 09:11 PM
Hi Maya,

I live in Bassett too. Get very, very few problems compared to Swindon. Limited houses to rent but they do come up occasionally. Enough pubs to keep you occupied, a big Sainsburys, Iceland, Morrissons and a Tescos extra. Got a few car garages, MOT stations and other auto related shops as well.

There's a fantastic gym 5 minutes down the road called "The Wiltshire" - pricey, but you do get what you pay for. Kitted out gym room, swimming pool, hot tub, sauna and a steam room.

Definitely avoid the 'P's of swindon. Old town is nice, though not sure what comes up in terms of renting.