PDA

View Full Version : Does your bike need a reg plate light for a mot pass

badbreed
15-01-14, 04:45 PM
Hey all,
Well it's winter and I'm planning a few little mods and updates to my sv650.
Starting with chopping the rear mudguard which houses the reg plate light.
I've search online buts it's all a little vague if a motorcycle requires a plate light or not.
I know I need a red reflector but what about a white light.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Cheers

Wes
15-01-14, 05:41 PM
A mate of mine has a daytime mot and doesnt have a light, you could always fit one of the led type ones, keeping it small.

WR6133
15-01-14, 06:17 PM
My current and previous never had them and it was never an issue

Brizzer
15-01-14, 07:07 PM
I would assume so, as you need them for your cars MOT unless you are going for a day MOT , ring up a motorcycle MOT station

wheelers
15-01-14, 09:32 PM
vague, probably at testers discretion

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

Killer Rat
15-01-14, 11:52 PM
I dont have one on my bike, i just stick a reflector on for the mot.

Marmalade
15-01-14, 11:56 PM
If it has lights or light switches they need to work and be complete. Often a tail light will illuminate the number plate so no additional light is needed.

There is no such thing as a daytime mot. They just test what is fitted at the time.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Wes
16-01-14, 05:50 AM
Yes there is marmalade, as my mates bike is basically a track bike with a number plate and can only be ridden in daylight hours.

Moo
16-01-14, 07:42 AM
My bikes do not have lights, you do not get a daytime Mot just an advisory to say "lights not fitted at time of test" do not use at night or in poor visibility

Killer Rat
16-01-14, 08:15 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/219090/your-motorbike-and-the-mot.pdf

According to VOSA there is no need to have a working light or a light fitted to illuminate the reg plate, a reflector is needed and that is all.
Number plate just needs to be present and legible. Otherwise there would be thousands of mopeds and 125's failing it!

Marmalade
16-01-14, 08:17 AM
Yes there is marmalade, as my mates bike is basically a track bike with a number plate and can only be ridden in daylight hours.

It can only be ridden in daylight hours because it has no lights not because of a make believe daytime mot.

On the road to nowhere

Killer Rat
16-01-14, 08:19 AM

Jon_W
16-01-14, 08:42 AM
It isn't clear. I'd say that if it isn't too much hassle, fit one and your covered regardless.

Marmalade is correct. There is no such thing as a daylight MoT. What there is is an MoT with an advisory note restricting the use to daylight hours.

DC
16-01-14, 12:38 PM
http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_110.htm

Uber Dave
16-01-14, 07:29 PM
My R6 has an R&G tail tidy (TT) on it and part of the TT is a small dual LED light which is sodding bright considering its size.

I got an advisory in Sept 2013 as water ingress meant it didn't work more often than it did work. I bought another one which was not too badly priced. I know that technically dosn't answer your question but if i had to place a percentage on the time it was off vs on it would be 80/20 and it still passed with only an advisory. This was at an official Yamaha dealer too.

Wes
16-01-14, 08:37 PM
It can only be ridden in daylight hours because it has no lights not because of a make believe daytime mot.

On the road to nowhere
Ok then a daylight mot, and not a make believe pixie dust never never land daytime one :)

badbreed
17-01-14, 04:53 AM
Cheers all.
I think I'll take the advice on board and fit a plate light anyway.
Found some on amazon which you can just bolt through your plate or use instead of the plate fitment nut and bolts.

Now to find the hacksaw and start sawing.

Jon_W
17-01-14, 07:59 AM
The only other note to add is that the white light must not be directly visable from the rear. That is an MoT fail.

Kevinb
17-01-14, 01:33 PM
You can get very powerful discreet LED number plate lights.