PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience of owning a Triumph 1050 ST circa 2009?

shiftyblake
09-01-14, 01:18 PM
I am thinking of buying one, need a sport tourer. Have owned a VFR 800 2010 in past, Blackbird, 2010 and currently an old CBR 600F. I want it to be smooth and comfy as well as nippy.
Whats the good the bad and the ugly, what do I need to look out for when buying?

QB1
09-01-14, 05:47 PM
Had the earlier model the ST955 tempted by the 1050 but decided against it. I just didnt like the triple engine I know a lot of people do though.

shiftyblake
09-01-14, 07:59 PM
I like the straight 4's, don't mind V4's can't stand twins so may take one for a demo

DaytonaDog
10-01-14, 10:17 PM
I was looking at an ST1050 just before Chrimbo as a replacement for by Daytona 955i and I still wanted something with a bit of sports about it and loved the triple engines that Triumph produce. I ended up taking two for a test ride. To be frank, neither ride grabbed me by the balls and I wasn't inspired. The engine was good, with plenty of low end torque but I just felt the ride a bit bland. Whether that was down to the bike or the road I tested them out on I don't know, but I was disappointed to be honest. I ended up getting a R1200GS as I was grinning throughout the whole test ride and the bike felt 'right'. Take one for a demo, but make sure you take it out on a good bike road to put it through its paces.

shiftyblake
15-01-14, 09:14 PM
Cheers for that, liked it and brought one. Being delivered Friday. Touch banal in its ride as you said but feel that i don't need to ride around "on it" anymore so agree with your comments. Just booked another 5 day tour of South Belgium/Luxumbourg on it in May 2014 so should be a perfect mile muncher for that. Used to have VFR and a Blackbird but the VFR was a pig at low speed and the BBird was so damn heavy and as a 5ft 7 I was stretched to the limit.