PDA

View Full Version : Bandit wet splutter

Mal103
31-12-13, 09:15 PM
Fine in the dry but got rained on this morning and it was spluttering like it was running out of fuel, managed to keep going to get to work, dry on the way home and it was fine - Bandit 400
was initially thinking a fuel problem but as it was fine in the dry then me thinks it was the wet stuff.

whats the best thing I can do to to waterproof the eleccy bits?

Hondafan
31-12-13, 09:22 PM
sounds electrical.

Water in the kill switch?
Water in the side stand switch?

Mal103
31-12-13, 10:16 PM
The kill switch area has been apart recently.... Might need some sealant and grease applying.

Wes
01-01-14, 11:51 AM
Silicone spray of most types will repel moisture.

Red Zed 1
01-01-14, 04:23 PM
my son luke had a bandit 400 which didn't like the wet..i told him to keep engine running when he reached his destination which helped to dry out plugs area and so would be easier to restart later.eventually we changed the plugs and he had no more trouble..possibly moisture causing old plugs to arc out..

FJ_Biker
04-01-14, 09:37 PM
Could be carb icing?

wheelers
04-01-14, 10:19 PM
bandit 6 and 12 have carb heaters not sure of 4's would think they have as its been a mod since the 80's after some problems with running at speed.
would really have to look at your fuel, could be rain got under fuel cap ( drain hole plugged up) and its got in to carbs

Rabb
19-01-14, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a water in starter & Kill switch mech.
Blow out with WD 40 - but be aware that if it's the starter switch the WD40 may build up a nice crusty deposit on the contact point and it then won't start at all - therefore contact cleaner might be a better long term fix.

(I have recent experience of this - as you can probably tell....)

Mal103
24-01-14, 08:49 PM
Got my splutters back today after I thought they had gone away. I played around with the ht leads this morning and it got better, but they I also had a few minutes rest so it may have dried out the root cause...
on the way home it only spluttered in low revs but still not right, I will check out the below suggestions tomorrow and maybe take things apart for a clean, what's good to put on ht leads or the like to prevent water ingress as this only happens when it's pouring and at speed - we'll about 40...

wheelers
24-01-14, 09:19 PM
if you think its the leads they have probably past their best. you can allways try another set or get a set of Taylor or Dyna leads without seeing yours are they the originals a bandit 4 must be between 1989-2000 so well used and aged. could e the leads have come loose in the caps

8_ball
24-01-14, 10:29 PM
prone to water around the plugs, new leads that seal around the top or make a set seal around the top of head to stop water gettin in there

Killer Rat
24-01-14, 11:14 PM
It might be worth checking the drain plug near the air filter if you have one. It could be full of water and this leads to spluttering/kangarooing.

Mal103
27-01-14, 11:09 AM
drained some water from the air filter and had the HT leads out for a clean and check, they look like the originals and the seal around the top of the plug area was poor, there was also some grit on one of them so water would have gotten in easily.

I put some rubber around the HT leads where they touch the frame to see if that helped but still the same this morning, think I will start replacing stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will add all of them to the next maintenance. :)

Mal103
28-01-14, 03:15 PM
Had trouble starting this morning as the starter turned over slow, it cut out a couple of times when I pulled up and when I stopped for fuel I had to bump it again as power had drained. Made the call to return home as lights were dim and I would have had to ride in the dark later.
I thought last night that there was a flickering of the light as I put the bike in the garage...
So either Battery is duff or - more likely - reg/rectifier is screwed, will have a play with a voltmeter later to see if i can narrow it down. Just ordered new plugs as well....

wheelers
28-01-14, 06:57 PM
when its started check across battery, over 15 volts or below 11 and its likely reg rec has had it, electrex world are as good if not better than oem and only in Oxford

Mal103
01-02-14, 12:23 PM
Fixed it, not sure if the wet splutter has gone away but got it running again. The regulator rectifier had broken as after recharging the battery and started it had standard 12v across the battery. Did some research after looking at the £55-70 price tag and others had fitted a cb400 one for £20, just got to cut the wires from the old one and get the connectors in the right place. If it doesn't last then i will buy a matching one.
Think i need to clean all electric connectors, is there a good spray that will prevent water getting in or coat things to stop corrosion?

Conehead
01-02-14, 12:34 PM
Well done. The best thing I have used is good ole trusty WD40. Hope that is the end of your troubles.

Mal103
08-02-14, 05:36 PM
Still had a bit of a splutter once this week after getting too close to a lorry and having a "car-wash" moment. Just put in new plugs as were over due and got some lacquer type spray from GM Stevens in Trowbridge, sprayed this around the top rubber on the ht leads, also cleared out the holes that drain the spark plug wells. Great advice from the shop!
The Honda regulator is still working so a good buy.

Mal103
11-02-14, 10:14 AM
After a good drenching this morning I would say that i've solved it, new plugs and sealant spray all around the Ht leads and rubber bits near the spark plugs.

Right - next problem....