PDA

View Full Version : Autocom

DaytonaDog
29-12-13, 07:11 PM
Thinking of getting an onboard comms device for the mobile/sat nav, ipod, bike to bike comms for the new GS. Am thinking Autocom? Any thoughts or opinions gratefully received.

Are they easy to install or is it better to get a pro to do it?

Cheers

Sauners

Uber Dave
30-12-13, 09:14 PM
Bluetooth ones these days are meant to be good. No experience myself of them but the better ones can connect to other headsets for intercoms, satnavs, phones etc.

Sent from my EndeavorU using Tapatalk

fd2526
31-12-13, 10:40 PM
I just bought a starcom system (almost identical to autocom I think) only 2 wires to connect up but I'm getting a pro to do it as I'm not confident to mess with the electrics! I'm pretty sure the basics are the same between the 2 systems, can give you a bit more info when I get it sorted out if you like?

DaytonaDog
01-01-14, 07:50 PM
That would be fab buddy. I think I will get a pro to do it as well. I found somewhere in Bournemouth that provides free installation with a purchase so might go for that as like you I am not confident of auto electrics, even more so with BMWs CANBus system.

fd2526
01-01-14, 08:24 PM
probably best then! i should have it sorted tomorrow so will let you know

fd2526
02-01-14, 07:09 PM
got it fitted today, really easy. If I was able & confident to solder,I couldve done it myself :) took 1.5 hours but a fair bit of that time was spent getting to the loom & reassembling afterwards (FJR) if it had been easier to get to it wouldve taken no more than an hour....

Snowy
02-01-14, 07:22 PM
Wired or wireless? I opted for the latter and have been through Cardo Q2, G4 and G9 intercoms. They get better with each version. The G9 is perfect for me - connects to the Satnav, Phone and of course pillions and other riders up to 1km away. The way I see the technology now is the only downside to wireless is the battery life and the need to recharge. The G9 lasts for 14 hours and I've now rigged up power off the bike so can recharge it overnight in a pannier. The older systems suffered with a lack of volume but thats not the case with the G9 - its too loud on full volume (my hearing ain't what it used to be either) and I have it at about 75% for speeds of 70mph plus. I hate wires attached to me whilst I'm riding but thats just me plus I don't have any space left under the seat for a hard wired unit as that's where I have my fusebox/relay to keep all the other stuff I have on my bike isolated from the BMW Canbus system....

DaytonaDog
03-01-14, 10:41 PM
Graeme, ideally I like to be completely wireless, as like you I don't want lots of wires all over the place. I was thinking of an autocom as I need to have Comms via PMR radios as going on a trip to Europe where the other riders all have PMR and I didn't think PMRs could bluetooth. However having had a quick google it seems that there are some bluetooth radios out there so it may be cheaper/better to go down that route.

ro
31-01-14, 12:17 PM
I don't fancy the idea of being joined to the bike with a wire either, so like Graeme, I've gone the Scala Cardo route; I also have the G9 and can second his recommendation; it's great for music, bike-to-bike intercom, sat-nav and phone—loud and clear, though the intercom range isn't noticably better than it was on the G4, and in reality it's nowhere near the claimed 1km. It should be possible to overcome this by linking a PMR handset to the Scala via bluetooth, but I'd like to have some confidence it's going to work well before spending yet more money! You could always do it with a bluetooth adapter, but there are now a couple of PMRs that have bluetooth built in, such as the voice-operated Interphone TRIBE (http://www.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/interphone-tribe-bluetooth-pmr446-transceiver/) or Midland G8 (http://www.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/midland-g8-bt-bluetooth-pmr446-two-way-radio/), which is PTT with a button on the handlebar. It would be tempting if I knew others were also using such a system successfully—do any of the other riders in the group have such a thing? I wonder if it would be possible to borrow some to try out before buying.

DC
31-01-14, 01:17 PM
I bought the Scala rider Q2 Multiset 2008 ish but as has been said above the volume was a bit of a problem could probably be in the market for some new kit myself and will probably stay with Scala .