PDA

View Full Version : Speed with Guy Martin

Wes
29-12-13, 05:33 PM
New series starts tonight at 8pm channel 4, taking on speed related challenges, should be good :)

Dabz
29-12-13, 05:41 PM
got it set to record :D

DaytonaDog
29-12-13, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up....will be watching

Mark_Able
29-12-13, 09:42 PM
Best thing I've seen on telly in a long time. Brill.

BB
29-12-13, 09:45 PM
Interesting prog, still don't particularly like the bloke but he is certainly up for it!

DC
30-12-13, 10:41 AM
Nice one Wes watched that last night , like his style :cool:

wiltshire builders
30-12-13, 12:10 PM
Interesting prog, still don't particularly like the bloke but he is certainly up for it!
Why is that?
He's almost become a charicature of himself hasn't he.
The whole "I'm just a northern lad working as a lorry mechanic" act has run its course I think.

Wes
30-12-13, 12:59 PM
Yes, it would be better as, Im a motorcycle racer who wins TT's, seems like a bit of a saftey net.

Kevinb
30-12-13, 01:08 PM
Not really into push bikes but still a very good program. Would love to have a go in that truck (1000+ bhp)

wiltshire builders
30-12-13, 01:20 PM
Yes, it would be better as, Im a motorcycle racer who wins TT's, seems like a bit of a saftey net.
"I'm a motorcycle racer who's never won a TT" would be more accurate!

The fact that he's a Dainese model, tv presenter, pretty much the face of th I.O.M TT and sponsored by TAS, AGV and has his own clothing range doesn't ever seem to get mentioned.
He also drives an Aston Martin Vantage so he's not exactly slumming it!

BB
30-12-13, 01:49 PM
Why is that?
He's almost become a charicature of himself hasn't he.
The whole "I'm just a northern lad working as a lorry mechanic" act has run its course I think.

Exactly. He's very savvy with all these commercial deals he has and good luck to him, I just get fed up with his attitude and there is certainly more to the TT than Guy Martin IMHO!

Wes
30-12-13, 05:46 PM
"I'm a motorcycle racer who's never won a TT" would be more accurate!

The fact that he's a Dainese model, tv presenter, pretty much the face of th I.O.M TT and sponsored by TAS, AGV and has his own clothing range doesn't ever seem to get mentioned.
He also drives an Aston Martin Vantage so he's not exactly slumming it!

Thats my point mate, maybe if he dropped the programmes and the part time racer, full time mechanic mantra, he has got it in him to win a TT, some good results this year in Irish road racing, Olivers mount and a 2nd at Le Mans.

Hondafan
30-12-13, 06:37 PM
112 mph on a push bike :D

I reckon he could have gone faster on tar mac as opposed to sand.

Rabb
30-12-13, 09:22 PM
Great programme - I really enjoyed it.
I have done 68mph on a push bike - on a massive 3 mile hill in the midlands.
112.94 mph - I agree that he would have gone faster on Tarmac.

I don't get why people seem to love this bloke.
Yep he's down to earth - but I personally find him really annoying (and I don't know why??)

Birdylegs
05-01-14, 11:47 AM
Speed with Guy Martin.
Episode 2 - Hydroplaning Bike.
Tonight - Sunday 5th January Channel 4, 8pm.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/speed-with-guy-martin/episode-guide

Wes
05-01-14, 02:30 PM
Should be a good one :)

Hondafan
05-01-14, 09:48 PM
Good advert for Suzuki !!

wiltshire builders
05-01-14, 11:39 PM
I find the science/engineering more interesting than the actual record attempt.
Really enjoyed tonight's episode. He toned down the "northern" a bit too which helped.

wiltshire builders
05-01-14, 11:43 PM
He's sponsored up the arse!
I noticed the Hope logo made an appearance on last weeks bike even though they had nothing to do with it and he was still wearing those crappy green Hope shorts too.
Not bad for a lorry mechanic who rides bikes in his spare time.......

wheelers
06-01-14, 12:19 PM
I just look at it as good advertising for us bikers, people may take more notice. better than the pri-madonna ex F1 drivers who have to fall off their ski's and get more coverage. didnt like Foggy very much after the episode with the marshals at Brands , but atleast he got biking off the inside pages

Dabz
06-01-14, 01:32 PM
Yeh good to see bike-based stuff on prime time tv. Enjoyed last night's too, though the foil on the bottom of the bike kind of gave a huge advantage compared to simply riding a bike on water.

wiltshire builders
06-01-14, 03:29 PM
Are you talking about the very humble and un-assuming, ex F1 and ex bike racer Michael Schumacher?
He may have been arrogant on the track but if you're the greatest driver that ever lived I think you're allowed to be.

Swanny
06-01-14, 06:12 PM
He may have been arrogant on the track but if you're the greatest driver that ever lived I think you're allowed to be.
That's a matter of opinion :p

wheelers
06-01-14, 07:20 PM
when you get the free run of the paddock marshalling you get to meet and help many of the greatest names in current racing, Ive had the pleasure of being round Hizzy, Rossi, Foggy, Wayne Rainey, Randy Mamola, Jim Redman, John Surtees, Dave Thorpe, and far too any others to mention all willing to share time then you get the car boys Schumacher, Alistair Macrae, Mansell, and a few others just rushing from helicopter to hospitality to car to helicopter and back out. even at Combe rally day when Macrae was there for public appearance he pushed past didn't do a lot of public good to the waiting masses. a couple of quick laps and sideways slides then off again

MayallRob
08-01-14, 09:09 AM
I'm a big fan of Guy Martin and really enjoying the show so far. This weeks episode should be good, where he tries to "build the world's fastest human powered aircraft".

People have very mixed views, but I think Guy Martin is good for motorcycling in general. My family and girlfriend are not interested in bikes at all, but I've managed to get them to watch a couple of Guy Martin shows and now they all love him (I should point out that my family and girlfriend are all northern). They'll now happily watch anything with him in, including 'the house that guy built', 'how britain worked' and now 'speed'. I've even managed to get them to watch Closer to the Edge (a documentary about the Isle of Man TT, well worth watching if you havem't already)!

I can't imagine I'd get them to watch these shows if it was someone like Rossi or Marquez presenting them. The only time I get to watch TV shows related to bikes with my family is when Guy Martin is on the show (with some exceptions, including the recent Toy Stories with James May).

wiltshire builders
08-01-14, 12:15 PM
That's a matter of opinion :p
Yeah. Maybe I should've put most successful.
He never really had any serious competition.
I'd have loved to have seen him up against Mansell, Prost, Senna and Piquet.

Senna(Dan)
11-01-14, 09:36 PM
Having finally got hold of the first episode of this I really enjoyed it.

I do concur with a lot of what people are saying, I think if he gave up the day job and concentrated on the riding for a year then he could win the TT. I did like his pun about "I'm good at crashing."

I like the bloke, but my wife can't stand him.

DC
12-01-14, 05:52 PM
Don't forget tonight's episode 8pm CH4.

Rabb
12-01-14, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Hondafan;458162]Good advert for Suzuki !![/QUOTE

I must have beaten 63 metres the other night.
I was travelling at 60 mph and hydroplaned for what seemed like an eternity!
Only one thing to do - throttle on, and I was back on the road surface again.

Wes
12-01-14, 07:10 PM
Don't forget tonight's episode 8pm CH4.
Cheers DC

Kevinb
13-01-14, 08:56 AM
It was good last night to see he doesn't always beat the records he is trying for. It is amazing watching them cut the wings out and making the propeller.

Conehead
13-01-14, 08:55 PM
He is such a nutter but I love his attitude and he is good to watch. Loving the series.

Rabb
13-01-14, 08:59 PM
It was good last night to see he doesn't always beat the records he is trying for. It is amazing watching them cut the wings out and making the propeller.

When they said "We will make the prop out of styro - I said to my wife "they would be better off with carbon fibre or graphite" styro is too flexible and weak.

Hondafan
19-01-14, 09:10 PM
I actually think that he could have gone over the ton if he had started from the top of the hill.

Any decent speed freak would have been like a little kid, shouting " again, again, again" after that sled ride.

put 2 chutes on the sled and start from the top :)

Wes
19-01-14, 09:47 PM
Ive got my beer tray ready, lets go :)

napalm
20-01-14, 12:06 AM
As a fan of winter sports, really enjoyed that show. Going snowboarding next week, might try lying face first on my board and see if I can beat that :-)

wiltshire builders
20-01-14, 02:06 PM
I actually think that he could have gone over the ton if he had started from the top of the hill.

Any decent speed freak would have been like a little kid, shouting " again, again, again" after that sled ride.

put 2 chutes on the sled and start from the top :)
I'm guessing you've never traveled at speed on snow. The lack of control is terrifying. Being only 7" from the ground would make it even worse and 85 mph would seem more like 120.
I thought his speed was amazing.

Swanny
20-01-14, 07:14 PM
I've traveled at high speed on snow and found it fantastic :cool:

Mark_Able
20-01-14, 10:59 PM
I was well impressed with the whole series. Some great challenges. Would like to have seen him have a few more runs on the drag bike though. I think he's a great character. Reminds me of racers of old, like Barry Sheene. He always was considered a bit temperamental, and usually liked sticking two fingers up to the establishment. Guy is so similar. Likes to get his hands dirty too. Proper old school racer, with an interest in engineering. Got my respect.

Rabb
21-01-14, 09:24 PM
Really enjoyed the series. Does he do a luge run ( I haven't seen this episode yet )
I would love to have a go but I'd have to go head first - ( I fell
down the stairs last week and I have a tennis ball sized bruise / lump on my back & elbow )
Ouch!

wiltshire builders
22-01-14, 07:43 AM
Really enjoyed the series. Does he do a luge run ( I haven't seen this episode yet )
I would love to have a go but I'd have to go head first - ( I fell
down the stairs last week and I have a tennis ball sized bruise / lump on my back & elbow )
Ouch!
He does the Cresta Run on a skeleton bob.
You can't luge head first I'm afraid. Better stick to watching for now 😄

Kevinb
23-01-14, 01:35 PM
If all it takes is weight and gravity put me on it and I expect I could get to 200+ mph