PDA

View Full Version : Alarms

Mal103
26-12-13, 04:52 PM
Was thinking of fitting a basic alarm to the Bandit, just a noise maker not to immobilise it. Are these worth bothering with, will they stand up to the weather and will they last more than a couple of seconds to a thief?

Brizzer
26-12-13, 08:01 PM
mite be a deterrent atleast or make you aware someone is tampering with the bike so something is better than nothing , but if they want your bike they would most likely have it

wheelers
26-12-13, 09:26 PM
good quality not cheap as get what you pay for, can be movement sensitive but trouble with immobilizers are a nuiscance when they kick in unexpectedly . how about a lock with an alarm built in instead. battery life can be shortened if left on for months without using, then if you are going to turn off what point is there in having an alarm.
be careful if buying from anywhere selling out of date alarms, you might get a £120 alarm for £45 but as internal electrics can decay they can immobilise the system without warning

Brizzer
27-12-13, 09:40 AM
what about this then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Boss-Alarm-Disc-Lock-2010-BRAND-NEW-/220547699227?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3359aad21b

wheelers
27-12-13, 10:13 AM
what I said, downsides can be less sensative than a fitted movement sensor but not a bad thing in wind!!

Mal103
27-12-13, 11:01 AM
I've already got a disk lock but I suspect it can be broken into easily, it's mainly a visual deterrent to get them to move along the line of bikes at work and not go for mine, I don't always fit it either....
The type of alarms I have seen are cheep but i'm not keen on wiring it in to immobilise the bike, the sort I have seen fit under the seat and go off when the bike is moved, hopefully this will be enough for them to leg it. My garage is also away from the house so not much chance of me hearing anything else but a loud alarm.

WR6133
28-12-13, 05:33 PM
I've got two of those cheap Chinese alarms (to match my cheap Chinese bikes) I think they are a blatant copy of a better known alarm. It's a little on the sensitive side so on very windy days I turn them off. As for a thief just tearing it out that depends where on your bike it is to remove mine they would have to remove the seat and the airbox and the damage done to the loom (I've wired in the immobiliser too) to get it out would mean they ain't going anywhere unless they push it all the way.

They give me peace of mind when I park in crappy places so I think they are worth it.

Marmalade
31-12-13, 01:48 AM
I've always used N. Cook alarms from ebay. About £30 delivered and never a fault with them.

My oxford disc lock alarm is another story, it just never works properly so I just use it as a lock now and not an alarm.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Senna(Dan)
31-12-13, 06:06 AM
I have found the Oxford Boss disclock with alarm is over sensitive.
I fitted to the bike in the garage and got defended as soon as I locked it! Luckily both bikes have alarms so they are just being used as disc locks.
The Triumph has the standard alarm but the MV has a CAT1 alarm which cost me just shy of £400 fitted. Piece of mind is key with that bike and would be devastated if it got knicked as it is rare.