PDA

View Full Version : Bike and wind dont mix

Conehead
23-12-13, 10:18 PM
Today while at work I got the dreaded call from my wife that my bike had blown over. Gutted even though most of it had been stripped off as I am in the process of fixing it. The only damage other than scratches to engine covers was the right footpeg snapping off at the end.

Luckily the fairings, tank, mirrors, etc were all in the house.

Still gutted though at the stupid pissing wind.

Moan over and thanks for reading....... :confused:

Brizzer
23-12-13, 11:39 PM
i hope you have moved the bike into the house now

YMFB
24-12-13, 04:45 AM
Could have been far worse, you could have been on it. I rode home from town yesterday afternoon, very scary along by the driving range towards Wilton.

Nelly
24-12-13, 07:14 AM
Sure was ****e out there yesterday! :(

Swanny
24-12-13, 10:54 AM
Nightmare
The houses over the road from me were flooded yesterday. There were fire engines outside mine at 4am pumping them out

Mal103
24-12-13, 04:26 PM
Luckily I have use of a 4 wheeled device so the Bandit stayed dry tucked up in the garage. Not good riding weather!

Killer Rat
12-02-14, 09:51 AM
Anybody managed to ride today? not sure if i should risk riding devizes to swindon at midday.

MelkshamKwak
12-02-14, 10:05 AM
Very wet and windy here in Corsham, glad the wheels are in the garage keeping warm and dry!!!!

Crosbie
12-02-14, 12:21 PM
I managed Trowbridge to Southampton yesterday and this morning as I do every Tuesday and Wednesday. Wasnt enjoyable but was doable. Keep the speed down and the revs up and the bike stays stable enough in the gusts.

Killer Rat
12-02-14, 12:55 PM
I decided against it and took the day off. My bike is far too light for this, i would have looked like elliot and e.t.

MayallRob
12-02-14, 01:58 PM
I drove from Swindon to Chippenham via the M4 today in the carat around 11am. Overtook a lorry and then got blown over to the outside lane! Very scary. Thank god there was nothing in that lane.

If you're going out on the bike, I'd say avoid the motorway and be very careful on open roads with sidewinds. If the wind can move a heavy VW Golf then I daresay it can move a bike.

Mal103
12-02-14, 02:14 PM
Rode yesterday okay commuting to Bristol but glad i'm on 4 wheels today. Lunchtime here was bad.
stay safe!

Trev
12-02-14, 03:01 PM
Drove to Brussels last night in my trusty (pretty much wind proof) Volvo, not windy here, can't wait to get back to UK on Friday night for some real weather. Deffo out on the bike at the weekend, something heavy and slow with no fairing called for - I know a Royal Enfield!!

Swanny
12-02-14, 07:44 PM
Riding in this weather is bad enough but it's even worst when your lights are ****. Followed a bloke on an old Deuville tonight on the way back from Bath. His headlight was rubbish, he kept it on dipped beam all the way never once putting main beam on as far as I could tell. If he hadn't have had mirrors I'd have put my main beam on so that he could see where he was going. I'm sure you know that bulbs don't last forever, they lose their power after a while and need replacing before they've blown. That is if you want to see where you're going.
Driving on dipped beam is common practice for most crappy drivers out there but with the roads in the state they're in at the mo I'm surprised to see a biker on dipped beam

Conehead
12-02-14, 08:47 PM
Went for a ride on Sunday but only managed as far as the end of my road....Luckily no further as when I went for my front brake the lever fell from my grasp onto the floor. It must have been fractured from when the wind blew it over as hasn't been over again.

The scariest part is that I managed a small ride a few days before not knowing thelever was fractured. New one on the way now but defiinately going over the bike with a fine toothed comb before I go out again.

pluggedinpete
12-02-14, 09:44 PM
Did my usual Commute today (with my better half on pillion cos her POS chinese Sym crap has broken down) which was er... interesting! I reckon two 90+ kg people on a Transalp makes it a touch more stable! (In my head it does anyway)

Yeah, wind and bikes arent a great combination