PDA

View Full Version : What Van?

Jon_W
14-12-13, 05:34 PM
Opinions sought please from all those who have vans.

I am looking to buy a small to medium size van for myself. I've been looking at the following but am open to ideas.

Citroen Berlingo
Ford Transit Connect
Nossan Nv200
Peugeot Partner
Renault Kangoo

Does anyone have any van tips, recommendations or experiences??

Many thanks.:D

Swanny
14-12-13, 06:33 PM
I'd buy a VW Caddy

Dabz
14-12-13, 06:42 PM
VW Caddy is a good call, I had the Seat Inca which is the same thing and it was great. Had the berlingo for a few years too - nice van but the 1.9 diesel engine is gutless so fuel economy isn't great where you're hammering the poor thing to try to keep up a decent pace. Inca van (and Caddy) don't suffer from that. Pug Partner van is the clone of the Berlingo I believe?

If you don't need the roof height then have you considered a car/van like the fiesta or corsa vans? Different animals to the berlingo/etc mind you and I'm presuming this might be for fitting bikes in?

Brizzer
14-12-13, 07:11 PM
i run a citreon dispatch 1.9 turbo diesel and have had it remapped older van 2002 done 150000 odd miles and is returning 44mpg and has plenty of power twin sliding doors can fit 2 mx bikes in easy . will be looking for another when I get my tax returns,

simmons250
14-12-13, 07:13 PM
i have a toyota hiace its the best van i have ever owned plenty off room and has a good payload and fairly cheap

Jon_W
14-12-13, 08:47 PM
I'd buy a VW Caddy

I was my initial first choice until I was prices. Seems you pay an extra 40% in VW badge tax!

The Seat option is a good thought though.

Ideally I would like a load area near 2 meters. Partner/Berlingo/Scudo (all are the same basic body), Kangoo LWB and Connect LWB are all 1.8 meters and the Nissan is 2m. Really want to keep with a car derived if poss. The length is partly for bikes, both powered and pedal and boats which I have to carry on the roof.

Swanny
14-12-13, 09:35 PM
I don't think they do a Seat option for the Caddy these days
VW vans also hold their prices when you want to sell

BB
15-12-13, 12:31 PM
We run a Fiat Scudo as does a mate while another mate runs the pug equivalent with a high roof. We are all happy with these as we can all stuff 3 bikes minimum in them along with lots of other luggage etc. We also do jumbles etc. presently doing up a house so tip runs, builders merchant etc. Easy to drive, to park, to load :)

wiltshire builders
16-12-13, 07:18 AM
Just make sure it has a full service history.
Gone are the days of simple push rod diesels that you can work on yourself.

Jon_W
16-12-13, 07:55 AM
Just make sure it has a full service history.
Gone are the days of simple push rod diesels that you can work on yourself.

Too true! All seems to be single rail diesel now... and lots on engine management electrickery!

Dabz
16-12-13, 08:20 AM
Which means they're easier to chip - £99 device from eBay, plug it in, more bhp :) the berlingo/pug 1.9 diesel goes from 90bhp to 115 which makes a huge difference. Possibly not the best idea if the engine is high mileage I guess

BB
16-12-13, 07:08 PM
I dunno, These boy racers... shakes head :p

Jon_W
17-12-13, 08:03 AM
Don't want it to be super fast, just reliable and as economical as poss.

House
17-12-13, 08:34 PM
I've got a 53 plate Combo 1700. The load length is a bit smaller but i couldn't be happier with it. Easy to work on and service when it needs doing (20k for oil 100k for cam belt). I did the belts in about 2 hours. Parts are everywhere so fairly cheap and they're pretty bulletproof. Should be good for 300k with a good service history. I got a Honda Benly in it easy enough and my dads lambretta. I'd imagine a bigger bike would go in but the passenger seat would have to be moved.