PDA

View Full Version : Slip-On Exhaust Question

MayallRob
10-12-13, 05:48 PM
Hey guys,

So I've just bought a new exhaust for my bike as the old one has rusted and whistles horribly whilst riding along.

My question is: this is a slip-on exhaust, so it just fits on over the standard pipe. It comes with clamps and a hanger to keep it all in place, BUT... Whats to stop it shooting off the end if its only clamps that are holding it in place? Yes, I know, this is a rather stupid question.

I've got some exhaust sealant that I can use, but the exhaust company (Delkevic) said that the baffle is very difficult to install or remove (as the allen key part is on the link pipe end of the exhaust), so they said it might be worth using sealant on the connection between the stock pipe and the link pipe, but just using the clamps to connect the link pipe to the silencer, so that you can easily remove the silencer to remove / install the baffle (did that make sense?).

tl;dr will my slipon silencer shoot off the end of my bike if not bolted or not using sealant?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Rob

pic of exhaust (Delkevic MINI 8" 200mm):
http://images.delkevic.co.uk/product4109_3.jpg

wheelers
10-12-13, 09:57 PM
the bracket stops it going anywhere providing done up tight!! sometimes you can get a spring bush or seal that goes over the pipe and into sileccer tube which when put on springs round to clamp and form a seal, might get fed up with a stubby as do tend to be noisy on long runs , ask Valentino Rossi

MayallRob
10-12-13, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I know it was a bit of a silly question, but I was telling somebody about the new exhaust and they asked what stops it from shooting off the end, and I was struggling to think of anything.

What you've said makes sense though, especially as the bracket has a rubber lining inside. I guess I'll have to just make sure its all hooked up nice and tight. I'll let you know how I get on when I fit it at the weekend. I'm hoping its not TOO loud...

wiltshire builders
11-12-13, 06:55 AM
There should be a gasket that goes around the link pipe. When the clamp is done up it creates a seal.
If the seal isn't tight, air will get in and combust from the heat in the can. That's the popping you can hear when some bikes roll off the throttle. (sounds great)
But, like Wheelers said, the exhaust hanger will hold the whole thing on.

MayallRob
11-12-13, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I guess the one thing I'll take away from this convo is... Make sure the bracket is done up properly, nice and tight!

If you're interested in the sound of the exhaust, I've already been out and done loads of filming of the bike idling, accelerating (on-board) and flybys, so I'll make a comparison video when its done and post a link.

Thanks again!

wiltshire builders
11-12-13, 07:25 PM
Good stuff!

the_lone_wolf
13-12-13, 10:00 AM
I guess the one thing I'll take away from this convo is... Make sure the bracket is done up properly, nice and tight!
Just a heads up for others reading...

It's very easy to crush the can if the bracket isn't exactly the right diameter - not done it myself but have seen a few cases over the years...

Don't go all "HULK SMASH!!" on the thing unless you're sure... ;)

Edit:

One more thing, the exhaust on the RC8 is LOUD!!! Long (and short trips) are made much better by the use of GOOD QUALITY earplugs...

The best I've used are the green MaxLite ones, like these:

MayallRob
14-12-13, 11:53 AM
The exhaust has been fitted! All clamps and brackets are done up night and tight, and thankfully everything held on during the short test trip.

First impressions: This thing is LOUD. It looks excellent, much better than the stock exhaust, but at the moment I'm a little bit wary of accelerating due to just how loud it is. Cruising along and rolling off the throttle sounds amazing. When I get a chance I'll go out and do some flyby videos for sound comparison.

MayallRob
14-12-13, 02:36 PM
I recorded two quick videos earlier today, just after I'd finished the install...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqKxQX0l24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0aRjS8H2Y