PDA

View Full Version : Police riders

QB1
10-12-13, 12:21 PM
Came across this reading the Motor Cycle monthly online having lunch today. Bit long but may be of interest to some forum users -

http://www.motorcyclemonthly.co.uk/news/advanced-motorcycle-riding-techniques-with-police-bikers

Ghost
10-12-13, 01:32 PM
You get shown and practice all those skills on a Bikesafe ride, which is great fun to go on.

Unfortunately, I was so tense with a speed cop large in my mirrors that I got arm pump, lol.

Guilty conscience or what?

Trev
10-12-13, 03:07 PM
Exactly what's taught and assessed on the IAM training + slow riding, hazard awareness and other. Many of the observers/trainers are either serving or ex-cop bikers and I can't stress enough how good the training was with the added bonus of meeting a new set of bikers and being bloody good fun. The IAM even hire out race circuits (done Thruxton twice this year on different bikes) to improve your skills in a safer environment.

QB1
10-12-13, 04:45 PM
Exactly what's taught and assessed on the IAM training + slow riding, hazard awareness and other. Many of the observers/trainers are either serving or ex-cop bikers and I can't stress enough how good the training was with the added bonus of meeting a new set of bikers and being bloody good fun. The IAM even hire out race circuits (done Thruxton twice this year on different bikes) to improve your skills in a safer environment.

Yep and ''bloody good fun'' seconded :D

Annie
11-12-13, 08:17 AM
A friend of mine did a course similar to this after she lost confidence after an off.
The difference after the day out was absolutely amazing, it became a pleasure to ride with her, rather than having to wait for her.
I'd recommend them, after seeing what it did for her.

Wes
11-12-13, 05:28 PM
I have done a one day course with a south gloucs council run scheme, full on with an ex police instructor, and it was a very interesting day out, learnt loads :)

Killer Rat
14-12-13, 02:10 PM
Had two of them behind me the other day on the a361. Tailgated me before overtaking without indication. I also have a nice little video of a police car driver overtaking me at avebury on a foggy morning, he overtook on a solid line and pulled back in about 15 metres in front of me after tailgating me for 4 miles. I complained to the force about this and they weren't interested in my complaint until i mentioned that i had this on video...they soon changed their attitude and were going to get the driver to apologise to me....still waiting over a year for that apology.

I just wouldn't dream of putting cash in their pockets for their 'advanced' lessons after witnessing all this.

gibbo
15-12-13, 11:15 AM
Thanks for putting this on the WB forum QB1. You never really stop learning and a refresher is always welcome.

matthews677
15-12-13, 01:58 PM
I done the BikeSafe course in June and it was a really really good day. would recommend it to anyone. some good skills learnt and its interesting to have the police tell you how to be quicker and safer

Ade
15-12-13, 02:51 PM
Had two of them behind me the other day on the a361. Tailgated me before overtaking without indication. I also have a nice little video of a police car driver overtaking me at avebury on a foggy morning, he overtook on a solid line and pulled back in about 15 metres in front of me after tailgating me for 4 miles. I complained to the force about this and they weren't interested in my complaint until i mentioned that i had this on video...they soon changed their attitude and were going to get the driver to apologise to me....still waiting over a year for that apology.

I just wouldn't dream of putting cash in their pockets for their 'advanced' lessons after witnessing all this.

When I did Bikesafe a few years ago there was no charge and the observed ride by the police motorcyclist was only one part of the day.

Also as regards "advanced" training through IAM or RoSPA Observers, these riders are invariably NOT police or ex-police riders.

QB1
16-12-13, 09:42 AM

I saw some disgusting driving by a Police Officer in a BMW a while back on the A350 truly wished I'd had a video camera on my bike as the driver was just mad. He was driving well in excess of the speed limit overtook a long line of cars very dangerously, bullied his way back into a none existent gap, and forced oncoming traffic to slow down and he wasn't driving with blue lights on. Not defending them one bit, but like any group of people I'm sure you do get some bad ones who abuse the power and position they have and give the majority a bad name.

All I will say is that if you do a Bike Safe (some of which are free I think?) you will meet some very dedicated and very good Police motorcyclists who will go out of their way to help you become a safer and better rider. I think I'm right in saying they do it voluntarily too. I dont think anyone I've spoken to hasnt come away having got some benefit from it and having enjoyed it too. I did.

IAM and RoSPA are independent to the Police so no worry of funding the Police if you take that option either.

Honest it would be a real shame if a couple of idiots put you off.