PDA

View Full Version : Support your local motorbike store

Rabb
06-12-13, 08:56 PM
I went into GM Stevens yesterday and they have shrunk their sales area again - I assume to reduce their business rates.

If we don't use them we will loose them!
If you need anything guys & gals can you try to buy from them or they might not be around for long.

I buy all my maintenance gear from them and I consider myself a regular customer.

Over to you guys......

Nooj
06-12-13, 10:24 PM
I hope they go under, more sales for my motorbike store ;-)

WR6133
06-12-13, 10:28 PM
I don't get the nostalgia for bricks and mortar stores I buy from wherever is selling what I want cheapest which is now generally online.

wheelers
07-12-13, 08:23 AM
really makes us feel like carrying on trading these last two comments.. GMS help us and we help them, Missens , Richard Stevens, Phoenix we are all struggling over these months but the bills still keep comming. probably harder when you are dedicated one off MX shop like Midwest, MX Zone or Motoextreme as customer base is smaller. OK buy it cheaper on the internet but when it goes wrong have fun trying to sort it or even fit things that dont actually fit or need adjusting. problem is many bikes have been modded by owners or previous owners, GMS need to keep as much stock as they can but there is no money in dead stock until it sells.
seriously thinking about closing and just doing my own bikes at least it would save me £1200 a year in insurance. and a lot of grief from scooter riders who keep fiddling, and bikes stuck in the garage for 4 or 5 years that owners want back on the road next day!!

Mal103
07-12-13, 08:51 AM
I often go in nutz4bikes in Trowbridge and buy most of my stuff there, they are very helpful and will go the extra mile. Maybe some stuff is a few quid cheaper online but they then have to send it and you will struggle to return if faulty. Nutz also have an online shop.

Gooz
07-12-13, 11:00 AM
gm have always given me fantastic service, sometimes its not about the price but more about convienience, sure online is cheaper but I just love being able to walk away with what I've paid for.

DC
07-12-13, 01:09 PM
I hope they go under, more sales for my motorbike store ;-)

I've often considered using your services................ Not anymore.

Red Zed 1
07-12-13, 05:57 PM
(Maybe some stuff is a few quid cheaper online but they then have to send it and you will struggle to return if faulty.) quote..

i bought a headlight for lukes xj6 online,which didnt fit quite right so had to return it..returning was ok but boy did i have difficulty getting the refund back,excuses a plenty..got there in the end but it was hard work..

generally i do buy online for cheaper prices but recently have been using actual stores because of having to explain details(not easy by email)and i have found the parts service at blade swindon to be very helpful and courteous..

Loops123
08-12-13, 07:21 PM
I often us GM Stevens. The staff are helpful and more friendly than the service I have experienced at the other bike shop in the town.

wheelers
08-12-13, 08:00 PM
called in yesterday to buy and for a chat, business to business. they feel the same way as we do. the landlord wants to put up the rent so minimizing to save money. as they said , at least they are paying rent , the landlords don't seem to realise if they don't collect rent they are loosing money both in rent and having to pay business rates as well. they are also feeling like us, bikes are generally toys nowadays. OK we have a couple of customers who ride 5 or 6 days a week to work but the rest on our books are low use riders. recently we have had to put bikes back on the road after 5 years off, then the decision is do I keep it? not so much shall I ride it! Back in the sixties when the Mini and Reliant's were invented things were slowing down , now we are going the same way. put the word round and try to get more friends, work mates , family on two wheels

Long John
08-12-13, 11:01 PM
There's good reasons to support your local bike store, but it can take away part of the fun of working on your own bike. GJB Motorcycles are highly recommended in Hanham, Bristol. However, after having a bike for the last 6 years I've yet to give them any work, apart from the MOT test. Luckily, all the work my bikes have needed I've been able to do myself, and none of the jobs have been difficult.

However, when it comes to buying bits I couldn't agree more with WR6133, as a recent trip to Fowlers for a set of plugs for the Blackbird revealed, they asked for £89, yes, I kid you not. I tried buying them through a trade account, but didn't have any paper work, so they offered a 10% discount! big deal!

Thankfully, I'd got a check price off the net before buying, but having never bought these plugs before I could have thought, they're expensive at least I can save a few quid by fitting them myself? Bought them via the net for £36 including carriage, this may be one reason why people are choosing to avoid the local bike shop.

Jon_W
09-12-13, 07:52 AM
Spoke to GMS just after they altered. This was the long term plan, the previous incarnation being a tempory arrangement to allow them to orgonise the stock. They have said that they have struggled but are trying to promote the online side with a view to downsizing to a store with a collection counter if needs must.

The independents are getting hard pressed and do need some support. Lets hope things pick up soon for all of them.

Col
09-12-13, 09:05 AM
Pretty much always used to use Missens or Taylors in 'Nam for stuff but now they have gone I am a 'bit lost' for popping out to get 'somat' but have used Stevens especially for fixings although these modern times I find bits on tinterweb if needed.

QB1
09-12-13, 09:26 AM
There's good reasons to support your local bike store, but it can take away part of the fun of working on your own bike......

You maybe dont realise but Stevens in Trowbridge dont repair bikes.

QB1
09-12-13, 09:36 AM
I think the writing is on the wall for places like Stevens, surprised they have kept going for so long really.

It must be almost impossible making a decent living selling the few bits and pieces they do.

They have a shrinking market and just aren't changing with the times.

I have nipped in there a few times for odd bits and yes they are really nice there (well all but one who's mood is variable) but for anything major its Fowlers or online for me.

Loops
09-12-13, 01:02 PM
promote the online side with a view to downsizing to a store with a collection counter if needs must.

that sounds like quite a good plan... hopefully lower costs for them, but still a store you can collect from, get some advice etc - that bit I really appreciate when I pop in for stuff.

Trev
09-12-13, 01:07 PM
I use my local guy who I know and trust for all repairs/servicing that I'm not able to do (or can't be bothered to try) and, if the price is somewhere close, also for the odd bits and pieces. For example, he charges 15 - 20% more for plugs than I can get them on line but I tend to use him as a) usually has them in stock, b) gives good advise on maybe up or down a grade depending on the bike/my requirement c) he has to make a living to be around to service/repair my bike
The more you use him then the more he tends to pass on a little of his trade discount and also 'takes a view' on his hourly rate on some of the longer jobs.
In particular I value Mark's wide practical knowledge and his willingness to pass on tips and tricks and even suggest how I might tackle a job rather than immediately turn to him. I have a few older bikes and he always questions my request to make sure it's needed. Above all his attention to detail is superb, you're literally trusting your life to these guys and after a very poor experience with a 'race trained' mechanic who forgot to tighten up a steering damper and fork yolk bolt I am only interested in taking my bike to someone I can trust even if the bill is a little higher. If you get a bit of banter and a few biker tales thrown in as well then all the better ; )
If you're down this way try Powerlinks at Ringwood 01425 472100, I can't recommend him highly enough

MayallRob
19-12-13, 11:13 AM
I live in Royal Wootton Bassett (just outside Swindon), and I generally order any spare parts or accessories online, just because I don't know where my local motorbike shop is! Whenever I need to go into a store, I end up at the Mega Motorcycle Store (previously George Whites in Swindon), but they mostly deal with clothing and helmets etc.

Is there anywhere near me worth checking out?

DC
19-12-13, 01:01 PM
I live in Royal Wootton Bassett (just outside Swindon), and I generally order any spare parts or accessories online, just because I don't know where my local motorbike shop is! Whenever I need to go into a store, I end up at the Mega Motorcycle Store (previously George Whites in Swindon), but they mostly deal with clothing and helmets etc.

Is there anywhere near me worth checking out?

Steve Lynham in Swindon :cool:

MayallRob
19-12-13, 02:52 PM
I go to Steve Lynhams all the time for my MOT and any repairs that need doing (he is ALWAYS considerably cheaper than anywhere else I contact), but I wouldnt class them as a 'store', more of a repairs garage?

Hondafan
19-12-13, 03:27 PM
All this is kind of sad, I am old enough to remember when Melksham had 2 bike shops and Trowbridge had5, nearly all of which had franchises.
Anyone else remember Bill Steel Kawasaki in Waterworks Road?

When I was 15 it wasn't a case of being asked by classmates, IF I was getting a 'ped but what sort of 'ped, I was getting.
If it wasn't a FS1E or AP50 I was deemed a wuss .
Not getting one was unheard of and caused much pointing a laughing as the guy who couldn't handle the power LOL.

I have been a customer of Bob Missens in Melksham for over 32 years and have seen the business go from a shop with Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki franchises and a large selection of used bikes to the cycle shop and garden machinery store that it is today.

While Keith in Missens ALWAYS offered a 1st class service to his customers I think that the market place has changed and left these small shops behind.

For example, I am soon to be looking for a complete set of textile waterproof.

What would be the point of going to Missens or GSM? I will undoubtedly end up in Brizzol or Swindon in a superstore "showrooming" if not actually buying.

They are unlikely to have the range of products or sizes that I require and I would undoubtedly be able to find the same products cheaper online or from a large bike store such as Fowlers.

Similarly the Motorcycle manufacturers have moved their goalposts in terms of demands on and corporate identity for their dealers , often insisting on solos status which the small shops just can't justify.

If I wanted a new bike, I have to go to Bristol or Swindon
If I want a used bike what are the chances of a small dealer having what I want?

I went into Bishops of Bath a few months ago and was shocked at what I saw.
Once Bath's only Honda shop is now a used bike store with some rough dogs in the showroom :(

As "established" bikers we now, probably possess all the kit we are likely to need so don't use small shops and there are not the numbers of new, young riders as there once was to support these business.

Without a decent franchise, stock of quality used bikes and wide selection of gear in all the colours and all the sizes (at competitive prices) I fear that the small bike shop is really going to struggle and/or vanish.

Blame the manufacturers, blame the yoof of today for not embracing biking at 16, blame the Government for the volume of 16 year olds that are unemployed and can't afford a bike.
Blame the shop keepers for not moving with the times, all played a part.

All very sad but I don't see what the answer is.

Who else remember
Jack Plowrights in Trowbridge
Prospect Motorcycles in Trowbridge
Castle Court Motorcycles in Trowbridge
Bill Steels
Bob Missens in Trowbridge
Wiltshire Motorcycles in Melksham
Chequers in Chippenham
and Taylors?

think I'm getting old :(

DC
19-12-13, 04:39 PM
I go to Steve Lynhams all the time for my MOT and any repairs that need doing (he is ALWAYS considerably cheaper than anywhere else I contact), but I wouldnt class them as a 'store', more of a repairs garage?

He stocks oil , brake pads , filters , tyres , plugs etc . Hardly a store I know but he has always had whatever I've been after and if not he can get it .

QB1
19-12-13, 05:23 PM
Hondafan yep must be getting old too certainly remember the old Missens, Chequers and Taylors wow a lot have disappeared.

I certainly wouldnt like to be trying to make a living selling bikes and or bike bits.

See Hein Gericke has just gone today too so its not just the little local ones.

Hondafan
19-12-13, 06:50 PM
Hondafan yep must be getting old too certainly remember the old Missens, Chequers and Taylors wow a lot have disappeared.

I certainly wouldnt like to be trying to make a living selling bikes and or bike bits.

See Hein Gericke has just gone today too so its not just the little local ones.

The second time Hein Gericke have gone in 16 months, according to MCN.
Again, how many went to HG, tried on and decided what they wanted and then went home and got it cheaper online?

You are right, it's not just the little one, George Whites went and remember Motorcycle City?

The way to make a small fortune in the motorcycle industry is to start with a large one.

Grey haired bloke
19-12-13, 07:02 PM
Hi MayallRob, I'm Swindon based and Artdeans in Swindon is possibly worth a look, http://www.artdeans.com/
The store has recently changed somewhat but still worth a wander around, I recently brought some new Weiss textile clothing and found Artdeans very closely priced with Fowlers of Bristol also stores in Abingdon and Oxford http://www.kingstwowheelcentre.co.uk/ that are worth a look now and again.

I'm a bit old school I'm afraid, when I buy something I expect to take it with me after parting with my money, yes, you can buy many things (most) cheaper on line but many things I just wouldn't feel right about buying if I couldn't handle it first, gloves, clothing etc, no way would I be buying Boots, leggings and jacket, helmet without trying them on in store, I'm quite happy to travel a reasonable distance to get what I want (an excuse for a ride) but I also feel I can go straight back with any problems, whereas if on-line, it can become a nightmare to exchange or get a refund. As for parts or servicing if it's not simple (oil change etc) then it has to go to the man that can, as has been said 'your life may depend on it'.

wiltshire builders
19-12-13, 09:14 PM
I phoned Bristol kawasaki to get a new seat cowl and was told their parts all had to be ordered across the road at the Platinum car dealership!
Obviously they didn't have a clue what I was going on about
"What colour?"
"Kawasaki green"
"Yeah but what colour?"
"Fffffffff......that is the colour"
"But what does it look like?"
"Like f*#king mushy peas!"
"Oh. Yeah that came in yesterday"
Think I'll try somewhere else in future.

waller 69
20-12-13, 04:03 PM
If you look there are some interesting points above, Trust is my favorite, I hold a full "city @ guilds" in mechanics but trust Dell's in Preston, nr Cirencester to do the work on my bike, small outfit I grant you but I talk to the one fixing my bike, When I worked for GM and Renault customers were faceless numbers on a job card, later when I worked for local/smaller workshops, I got to know the customers and in time took a more personal approach to the work I did, as bikes in general are a pursuit rather than just the way to get to work like the old days perhaps larger outfits may need to learn from the smaller ones....
Hondafan, I had the fizzy:)

Hondafan
20-12-13, 05:19 PM
Hondafan, I had the fizzy:)

I bet you wish you still had it.

:D

waller 69
20-12-13, 06:11 PM
I must admit Hondafan, the fizzy gave me the chance to meet girls in other villages but at the end of the day I must say the fizzy had a race box and is quicker than the AP but was just a bike, I know they are worth money now but to me it was just great fun;)
I wonder what a cotton 250 crosser's worth now?

Toph
20-12-13, 07:30 PM
Hondafan... I worked in Plowrights Motorcycles, in Mill Street Trowbridge for a few years in the mid 70's, and remember all the bike shops in Trowbridge and surrounding towns.. Jack was a great guy to work for.. but tight as an ant's a*se..;)

I worked 5 and a half days a week and he used to pay me 15 quid..

and I rode a 4 gear SS50...uninspiring to say the least... but was great fun!

wheelers
20-12-13, 08:57 PM
early 70's worked in Townsends car garage in Christian Malford, at weekends or school holidays for a handful of copper. during the winter we had to smash the ice on the water trough round the back to wash our hands, then hand pumping 20 gallons of fuel into lorries. Gilera Trial50. these were the days when we had 2 pubs and 1 garage in most villages and had to look after our own transport, the Gilera was abused on Foxham scrambles track, then ridden to college during the week

waller 69
20-12-13, 09:11 PM
Sorry to take this off topic but can the old un's remember the fantic??? 76mph on the flat but rarely got home:) :)

wheelers
20-12-13, 09:51 PM
caballero, similar to Gilera Trial and Trail also Garelli Tiger, might have been the Fantic Ti, caballero still in production today

DC
20-12-13, 10:17 PM
Hondafan... I worked in Plowrights Motorcycles, in Mill Street Trowbridge for a few years in the mid 70's, and remember all the bike shops in Trowbridge and surrounding towns.. Jack was a great guy to work for.. but tight as an ant's a*se..;)

I worked 5 and a half days a week and he used to pay me 15 quid..

and I rode a 4 gear SS50...uninspiring to say the least... but was great fun!

15 of your English pounds was a lot of money before the war Toph !!! ;) ;) :p

waller 69
20-12-13, 10:36 PM
Harsh Daddy cool , really Harsh...36 notes a week as an apprentice(north star) paid my keep drank the rest, none wasted in the 80's,you did not tell us your "50" daddy cool:) :)

waller 69
20-12-13, 10:50 PM
Hondafan didn't either....

Hondafan
20-12-13, 10:54 PM
Hondafan didn't either....

Honda MB5 in Black
JMW 654X bought Brand spanking new from Bob Missens for the princely sum of £460

waller 69
20-12-13, 11:18 PM
Thats true class hondafan, I struggle to remember some of my bikes let alone the plates, my hat is tipped to you, MB5 was as bad as the X1 I bought to go to college with but maybe a good start as we are still here..