PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mandela

redken1
05-12-13, 11:20 PM
RIP the most inspirational man of my lifetime IMO. Of course Mandela had his faults like all of us, but he endured so much personal sacrifice to free his own people from the shackles of 'white rule'. I salute you great man and a true legend of our time. X

Nelly
06-12-13, 07:06 AM
Agreed. :(

BB
06-12-13, 07:25 AM
Agreed, sad news :(

Jon_W
06-12-13, 07:55 AM
One astonishing man. A Legend for all times.

A great loss to this world.

Bonnielass
06-12-13, 08:03 AM
Truly inspirational. RIP

Vulcanboy
06-12-13, 11:48 AM
His book "Long Walk to Freedom" is truly inspirational. Well worth a read .... RIP

Nelly
06-12-13, 11:49 AM
His book "Long Walk to Freedom" is truly inspirational. Well worth a read .... RIP

Second that. It is a fabulous book.

DC
06-12-13, 01:08 PM
Its so sad when a man of his strength dies it makes you feel like the human race has even less of a chance than we did yesterday RIP

pilninggas
06-12-13, 05:17 PM
He stood and said -we must be free to live to live our lives- and followed it through. He refused to accept that one part of society should be subject to curfews and unlawful arrest. He rejected a remote government, whoes interpretation of the rule of law was itself unlawful. He would not accept the status-quo and faced his enemies down. He was illegally interned for a quater of a century. He stood-up to Fascists and won.

I worry we'll never see his like again. A democrat and a hero.

Swanny
07-12-13, 11:39 AM
I've just seen a load of dyslexic Africans crying outside Nissan Maindealers

Ghost
07-12-13, 02:48 PM
Funny, but on Muppet forum really not here.

It's blokes like him that give us the freedom to write & laugh at almost anything without fear.

Swanny
07-12-13, 03:11 PM
Well I'm sure he will be happy that I have exercised my freedom to add a little humour to this thread

Thorkill_The_Tall
08-12-13, 05:45 PM
Mourners have started to gather outside Nelson Mandela's house.
Del Boy and Rodney have told 'em to bugger off.

wiltshire builders
09-12-13, 11:13 PM
A terrorist that opposes a brutal regime is still a terrorist.
I think too much praise is being heaped onto the mans shoulders and he'd be the first to admit it.

redken1
10-12-13, 07:15 AM
I could not disagree more Dan - I suppose it depends on how you define terrorism and what you believe constitutes an act of terrorism. There are still calls for Tony Blair and George Bush to both face trial for war crimes. It was the white rulers in south Africa who terrorised the blacks. IMHO Mandela was a freedom fighter who was worthy of all the praise and some more. As were the members of the French resistance fighters who took up arms against an oppressive regime during the second world war.

wiltshire builders
10-12-13, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry Ken but the French resistance didn't bomb civilian train stations and accept funding from dictators who practiced the same brutal tyranny as the people they were fighting against.
That's how I define "terrorism".
On his release from prison he became an inspiration for many and renounced his former actions. His links to Gadafi will always be questionable though.
Holding him in the same regard as MLK or Ghandi, like many are doing, is proposterous.

Swanny
10-12-13, 08:58 PM
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1469952_3653722877708_407412341_n.jpg

pilninggas
10-12-13, 11:03 PM
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1469952_3653722877708_407412341_n.jpg

Nothing wrong with changing your mindset - the Good Friday Agreement would be nothing without people being brave enough to accept change.

The change in mindset of FW de Klerk sped-up the demise of apartheid.

redken1
11-12-13, 06:31 AM
Nothing wrong with changing your mindset - the Good Friday Agreement would be nothing without people being brave enough to accept change.

The change in mindset of FW de Klerk sped-up the demise of apartheid.

I agree with your comments about changing your mind set Merv. If there is one issue which I give Blair credit for was his part in the Northen Ireland peace process. However, I would certainly question the sincerity of PM Cameron's glowing tributes to Mandela. IMO it was no more than a salesman's pitch and predictably so.

pilninggas
11-12-13, 06:24 PM
I agree with your comments about changing your mind set Merv. If there is one issue which I give Blair credit for was his part in the Northen Ireland peace process. However, I would certainly question the sincerity of PM Cameron's glowing tributes to Mandela. IMO it was no more than a salesman's pitch and predictably so.

Cameron is a PR obsessive and looks at any opportunity to score 'voter points'. But it is worth illustrating that even a conservative view can be progressive.

Swanny
11-12-13, 10:45 PM
UK Prime Minister David Cameron, Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt and US President Barack Obama take a selfie at Nelson Mandela's memorial service.
US First Lady Michelle Obama looks less than impressed.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/12/11/1226780/253588-.jpg

Arseholes