PDA

View Full Version : Help, I may actually buy a Royal Enfield!!

Trev
21-11-13, 02:01 PM
I really enjoy variety in my bikes but think I may be going a stage too far, I'm seriously considering buying a Royal Enfield!

I tried a new one out a few weeks ago almost by mistake, it was a real laugh and for a year or two I've been thinking about 'building' (lightly modifying a standard bike) to make a street scrambler and now I'm pretty much decided on using a RE as the base. I want to go for a 'modern' left hand gear change with disc brake version, not too fussed about electric start, and add single seat, high level exhaust, knobblies, high bars, matt paint job, etc

It will be used as (another) winter bike with a odd bit of very gentle green laning and as I'm not looking to have another bike that needs cleaning after every ride, the tattier the better, not that easy to find though they all seem immaculate, low miles coveted machines.

A post on the forum gives you guys and girls a chance to talk me out of it before I go too far or maybe give me further encouragement, any RE enthusiasts out there?

wiltshire builders
21-11-13, 02:47 PM
Owning an Enfield makes absolutly no sense whatsoever so if you feel drawn to one it must be the right thing to do.

From the sound of what you've got planned I think it'll look amazing.
I always fancied a Bultaco sherpa T but they only come in 2 conditions. Concours or sh*t order. Either way it'd cost a lot.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Red Zed 1
21-11-13, 06:12 PM
royal enfield are bringing out a cafe racer,,i think it was reviewed in last months motorcycle monthly..actually looks really good...

WR6133
21-11-13, 06:37 PM
royal enfield are bringing out a cafe racer,,i think it was reviewed in last months motorcycle monthly..actually looks really good...

There is one in Hayballs Salisbury. I stopped there today to look at the Enfields.

Jon_W
22-11-13, 08:26 AM
If your going to buy an enfield buy a 1960's one!

Trev
22-11-13, 08:41 AM
Yeah tried that one, nice bike but too much of a compromise for me. Although looks nice and rides and performs well for a RE it's still some way off a modern bike in most areas, really a 'Sunday best' bike that's able to do a bit more than the standard Enfield's. For me it as an alternative to a cruiser for those not into that sort of bike but still want something to polish and 'ride out' on.
However I wouldn't bet against it getting a wider audience, it's definitely got the looks, comfortable riding position, acceptable performance, braking and handling, good mpg and low price, pretty much why I bought my NC700X - apart from the looks ; )
I'm after a less pretty RE, one that will only see soap and water come the spring and I won't shed a tear over if I drop it, will be even slower than the Cafe racer though

wheelers
22-11-13, 09:20 AM
just sold a 2000 enfield bullet 500, just like a normal bullet apart from poor finish, corrosion and rust better than chinese quality but not as good as british. it was ridden to Leicester and lost side cover lock on way!! not bad as thats all it lost on a 100 mile trip!
word of warning is cylinder heads , you can pick up porous ones . when I did one a few weeks ago for another customer they said it wasnt a regular fault only had 3 that week!! the other thing is they are prone to dropping exhaust vallve guide.
to impregnate the head and rebuild is around £150, to do the guide and re cut seat around ~£100 . oversize guides available.
As Jon said , buy original, will keep its value. our 2000 sold for £1400, but I have seen them at £2000 down to £900 it really is take your pick.

Jon_W
22-11-13, 09:21 AM
As an alternative, have you thought of the honda CL400?

DC
22-11-13, 12:57 PM
Dont know about the Enfield really . A mate of mine in Cornwall had one about 20 years ago when they first started selling the 350 Bullet again he had loads of problems from the word go with electrics but I daresay they have improved things since then . Being a Bonneville owner myself I can only say that owning it for almost 6 years from new it has been nothing but reliable.I have the standard road bike but have seen some cracking scramblers out there , maybe worth considering ??? :cool:

check out youtube there's loads on there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1a0fhX6lE

Kevinb
22-11-13, 01:12 PM
Get a good dentist because it will rattle your teeth out. I tried one out a few years back and ended up buying a Bonneville (loads of parts available to customise, reliable-prefer the 790cc to the 865cc and will sound better with aftermarket pipes on.
I had a 790cc solo and a 790cc with a sidecar.

Trev
22-11-13, 01:16 PM
As an alternative, have you thought of the honda CL400?

Jon, no I haven't, thanks for that and also suggestion to buy an older on, both ideas for me to throw into the thought process. Initially what puts me off both is that I don't want something that I end up being too precious about but open to changing my mind

Trev
22-11-13, 01:23 PM
just sold a 2000 enfield bullet 500, just like a normal bullet apart from poor finish, corrosion and rust better than chinese quality but not as good as british. it was ridden to Leicester and lost side cover lock on way!! not bad as thats all it lost on a 100 mile trip!
word of warning is cylinder heads , you can pick up porous ones . when I did one a few weeks ago for another customer they said it wasnt a regular fault only had 3 that week!! the other thing is they are prone to dropping exhaust vallve guide.
to impregnate the head and rebuild is around £150, to do the guide and re cut seat around ~£100 . oversize guides available.
As Jon said , buy original, will keep its value. our 2000 sold for £1400, but I have seen them at £2000 down to £900 it really is take your pick.

I'm looking at post 2005 model as quality is supposed to have improved, especially the motor, but then they would say that! Not looking for it to be my regular ride or do too many miles on and I'm not averse to a bit of light spanner twirling so not being totally reliable is not s big concern although I'm hoping not to have it broken down every time I want to use it.

Thanks to a couple of others who have suggested Triumph scrambler, definitely a better bike in every department but not sure I'll get one for the money I'm thinking of (£2 - 3K) and too heavy and powerful for what I want + again don't want a 'pride and joy'.

C'mon guys and girls, you're going to need to try harder than that to talk me out of it!!

Last Train
22-11-13, 02:02 PM
Talk you out of it ?

Nope, do it :cool:

Jon_W
22-11-13, 02:09 PM
Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.

DC
22-11-13, 02:23 PM
I know this is not what you're looking for but its a mighty fine example of what can be done to a bog standard Bonneville Bobber/ Flat tracker ..............check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqTKRzYAUE :cool:

Trev
22-11-13, 09:08 PM
I know this is not what you're looking for but its a mighty fine example of what can be done to a bog standard Bonneville Bobber/ Flat tracker ..............check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqTKRzYAUE :cool:

Thanks DC, now that is nice!

Trev
22-11-13, 09:10 PM
Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.

Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes

DC
22-11-13, 11:15 PM
Nice Enfield here.............http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Royal-Enfield-BULLET-LIGHTNING-CAFE-RACER-BOBBER-SCRAMBLER-CUSTOM-PROJECTS-/00/s/NjgzWDEwMjQ=/z/8CwAAMXQWzNSiLnf/$_57.JPG

DC
22-11-13, 11:17 PM
And here............http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Royal-Enfield-BULLET-LIGHTNING-CAFE-RACER-BOBBER-SCRAMBLER-CUSTOM-PROJECTS-/00/s/NzUxWDk2MA==/z/dl0AAOxyzi9SiLng/$_57.JPG

DC
22-11-13, 11:19 PM
Both of the above can be found here.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=royal+enfield+scrambler&lpid=25&keyword=royal+enfield+scrambler&clk_rvr_id=551320135473&crlp=19049394302_2683116_ICEP3&GUID=750dca271380a0268443e833ff7dcfe3&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=12&device=c&geo_id=32251&keyword=royal+enfield+scrambler&rotation_id=710-35649-5910-0&crdt=0&ff1=keyword%3Droyal%2Benfield%2Bscrambler&ff3=1&ff4=69_25&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=69&ff13=84&ff14=25&ff17=royal+enfield+scrambler

Jed
27-11-13, 06:23 PM
How about MT 350/500 something like this? eBay item 281214013012. A mate had a 350, tough as old boots but a bit underpowered (in his view). British made by Armstrong CCM with reliable Rotax engine, capable off road, customise it to your own spec and no I don't think you would be tempted to clean it too often!

Whatever you choose; enjoy it.

Jon_W
28-11-13, 01:10 PM
Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes

I have a Tiger Cub and that will cruise at 45-50 and can accelerate with the cars. I've ridden a couple of 350's and these would easily hold 50-55 and followed a 500 holding a nice steady 70!

Bear in mind that the Enfield bikes are 90% 60's brit bikes and will be no faster, in fact with modern emmisions controls they could even be slower!

wheelers
28-11-13, 07:25 PM
How about MT 350/500 something like this? eBay item 281214013012. A mate had a 350, tough as old boots but a bit underpowered (in his view). British made by Armstrong CCM with reliable Rotax engine, capable off road, customise it to your own spec and no I don't think you would be tempted to clean it too often!

having had modern CCM's watch for a Suzuki freewind powered 440 as base gaskets were too thin on early ones. the bigger 644 were good but try an earlier 604 rotax powered one. these can go out to 720cc, for a single thumper that's a lot of cc.
alternatively a CanAM 250 2 stroke ex army as well another reliable trailie
the canam250 was the earlier 2 stroke version of the 350 and 500 Armstrongs also known as Harley Davidsons 4 strokes.

Trev
29-11-13, 08:55 AM

Thanks Jed, I'm one of the watchers on that bike at the moment , tbh I already have a KDX200SR so not really after a 'proper' off roader more something with a street scrambler style, able to take on the odd muddy track and that's a bit different. A RE is still on the radar, it's sickness I know ; )

Jed
29-11-13, 04:52 PM
Another thought, particularly if you don't need a 'proper' off-roader, is the BMW F650. I picked up a good low mileage (yr2000 and 20k) example via eBay for £970, so decent bikes are about. I have always had a soft spot for the Royal Enfields but I'm not sure how I would get on with one as I am now used to riding more modern bikes. As always best thing is to try one out then choose.

Trev
30-12-13, 08:45 PM
*****UPDATE*****
I've only gone and done it, I'll be picking up a Royal Enfield Bullet this weekend! It's a 2008 500cc Bullet which means fuel injection, electric start (kick as well), left side gear change, disc front brake, (made in India) piggy back shocks, iffy chrome plating and 27'ish bhp. It's only done 4000 miles but is a strange mixture of nice condition paintwork and chrome in some place with plenty of rusty fasteners, welds and peeling chrome in others.
The aim is to convert it to a street scrambler but not end up with something I'm too proud to use in muddy lanes, foul weather and slippery conditions - pass the Hammerite!

Jed
03-01-14, 08:09 PM
Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.

Trev
06-01-14, 08:43 AM
Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Jed and thanks for your efforts at suggesting alternatives, unfortunately not able to persuade me ; )

I'll post a few lines on my initial experience once I get the RE, didn't get it this last weekend as it's in Plymouth, 3 hours from me and there is a bit of water about down here at the moment.

Jon_W
06-01-14, 10:48 AM
Good stuff. :cool:

Col
08-01-14, 12:30 PM
Here you are Trev......couple of acquaintances I know Bob and Dave....they love their Enfields and have a great time out and about...join in mate they will make you very welcome ...say Justarider sent you...it won't help but they'll know ;)

http://thelonelyones.forumcircle.com/index.php

Trev
08-01-14, 09:49 PM
Thanks Col, love the forum name, exactly what a few of my biking mates think I'll be when I get out on the RE, little do they know there is s thriving community even if some of the members look a little older than me ; )

Trev
12-01-14, 05:44 PM
Picked the RE up yesterday from Plymouth (in a van) and first chance to take it out for a spin today. Starts on the button and chugs along nicely, everything works, stops, goes and handles ok although Avon Slipmaster tyres front and rear didn't inspire confidence on slippery roads this afternoon, square rear profile definitely and acquired taste - one I'm not looking to acquire.
Popped round to show my Dad who, sadly is no longer fit enough to ride a bike, and he loved the looks and sound, wasn't so keen when I told him I planned to convert into street scrambler.
Only done 3900 miles, full service was 13 months ago but has done less than 200 miles since so only needed a quick once over of fluids, brakes and tyre pressures. MOT due next month so aim to put some miles on it over the next couple of weekends to get used to it and then stick it in for MOT before deciding what to do with it. I've got another couple of bikes to put back to together before I rip anything else apart (one needs full engine rebuild) so probably won't do anything with RE for at least a couple of months. Look out for a chromed fuel tank reflecting in the sun (!) and listen for the soft chugging of a bygone era as you blast past me ; )

DC
12-01-14, 05:48 PM
Glad you got the RE sorted Trev any chance of getting some pics up ??? :cool:

Trev
13-01-14, 09:32 AM
Will do if I ever figure out how to post them, may figure out how to add a pic to my profile at the same time

DC
13-01-14, 12:26 PM
Will do if I ever figure out how to post them, may figure out how to add a pic to my profile at the same time

There used to be a tutorial on the old site but it disappeared when they swapped over . You have to upload your pics to an image hosting site such as photobucket then copy and paste the img code into the reply box .

Col
15-01-14, 10:37 AM
yay!! enjoy Trev :D

Open a Photobucket account and upload your pics to there and then you can get the forum code to put them on here at the right size

Vulcanboy
15-01-14, 09:31 PM
Nice bike ... fancy one myself ....

Oakley
17-01-14, 04:31 PM
It will be used as (another) winter bike with a odd bit of very gentle green laning...

Not sure how far away you are but,

I've been known to do the odd bit of gentle green laning on a Transalp 650 - gives a shout if you're looking for a rideout buddy...

mrdelmonti
17-01-14, 06:11 PM

I've been known to do the odd bit of gentle green laning on a Transalp 650 - gives a shout if you're looking for a rideout buddy...

I know the offer wasn't aimed at me but I've been thinking about taking my Transalp 600 out on a few lanes.

Done a lot of laning in 4x4s but never on a bike.

Oakley
17-01-14, 07:28 PM
I know the offer wasn't aimed at me but I've been thinking about taking my Transalp 600 out on a few lanes.

Done a lot of laning in 4x4s but never on a bike.

So you're the one who's been rutting up all the good green lanes in Wiltshire in yer 4x4...

I'm happy to ride with anyone who is interested - as long as you're not Dakar class and expect me to be also - but I'm guessing if you haven't done it before - you won't be...

It'll be good therapy to ween you off 4x4's, get stuck in a rut & you'll be swearing at them too... lol

Have you got suitable tyres..?

mrdelmonti
17-01-14, 07:37 PM
So you're the one who's been rutting up all the good green lanes in Wiltshire in yer 4x4...

I'm happy to ride with anyone who is interested - as long as you're not Dakar class and expect me to be also - but I'm guessing if you haven't done it before - you won't be...

It'll be good therapy to ween you off 4x4's, get stuck in a rut & you'll be swearing at them too... lol

Have you got suitable tyres..?

Nah I won't touch the lanes in 4x4 in the winter.

Currently got half worn K60 Scouts on so should be alright...ish

Brizzer
17-01-14, 08:13 PM
barbury castle area would be ok for the translaps

Oakley
18-01-14, 10:02 PM
We're going off Enfield topic - I'll start a new thread in Trackdays & Offroading soon, so interested parties can register an interest & we can work it from there. I know there is one there from about 4 months ago - but a lot can change in 4 months...

Trev
19-01-14, 08:06 PM

Having been out today for a first real ride on the RE (70 odd miles A roads and back lanes) I'm well pleased with it but green laning will have to wait until I've fitted suitable tyres and even then will definitely have to be very mild green laning, really tarmac with the odd patch of gravel ; )
Ground clearance, foot rest position, weight, tank width, handlebars, suspension travel, grabby rear brake (pretty much everything) means its going to be a street scrambler in pretty much style only.

K&N and shorty silencer ordered for next week as feels like it needs to breath a bit more freely and the original silencer is outrageously ugly, I mean seriously, eye offendingly ugly, not to mention far too quiet.