PDA

View Full Version : Fancy being a Bike racing marshal?

Moo
16-11-13, 03:35 PM
If anybody fancies having a go at marshalling at bike racing have a look at the following extract from the NGRRC website:

How Do I Become A Road Race Marshal?
IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO A ROAD RACE MEETING OR SEEN ONE ON TV YOU WILL HAVE SEEN THE MARSHALS, EITHER REMOVING FALLEN BIKES AND RIDERS OR GIVING FLAG SIGNALS TO THOSE WHO ARE RACING.
WHO ARE THEY? - All Marshals have one thing in common, their interest in motorcycle racing, and they all want to be more involved than just spectating. Apart from this shared interest they can and do come from all walks of life, all ages over 18, and of course both sexes.
HOW MUCH TIME DO THEY GIVE? - A Marshal is required to be on duty for the whole of practice and racing. They also attend a training day each year.
ADVANTAGES OF BEING A MARSHAL
· Working with like-minded people. Shared interest.
· Close involvement with the action.
· Free admission to meetings.
· Satisfaction of doing a job critical to making racing safer.
Marshals are vital. Race meetings cannot take place without them .
HOW DO I BECOME A MARSHAL, AND WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME? - Organisers of race meetings are always happy to welcome and train new Marshals, most people start Marshalling with organisations such as ours that are local to where they live, and if they wish, may go on to also Marshal at top British National and International events. It is completely up to the individual as to how many meetings a year they attend. The only commitment required is that they turn up to those meetings for which they have volunteered.

NGRRC will be holding a 2 day meeting at Castle Combe in 2014

More details available at:

http://www.ngroadracing.org/marshals.htm

(other clubs are available - I just happen to be a member of NGRRC) If you don't fancy marshalling try racing instead :)

Alternatively if you would like to marshal at BSB and British rounds of MotoGP and WSB you could join Racesafe. If you fancy it, register now as the training takes place once a year in Jan or Feb otherwise you will have to wait for a year longer.

http://www.racesafe.org/?p=join

I've been Marshalling for 5 years now and have met some interesting people from all walks of life and have been very close to the action at the major circuits around the country.

Any questions feel free to ask on here or PM me.

Moo

Conehead
16-11-13, 09:35 PM
I am very very very interested in this. Will go on the web

Loops123
17-11-13, 07:35 PM
sounds interesting, what type of 'jobs' have you done at the track Moo?

Jon_W
18-11-13, 08:03 AM
Keep meaning to have a go at this. Cheers Moo.

shammy666
18-11-13, 09:14 AM
I registered with Racesafe a couple weeks ago.

Moo
18-11-13, 05:28 PM
In response to Loops.

I do track marshaling which is divided into two bits really, pick up and flags both of which are self explanatory. I have picked quite a few of the top riders and bikes at various events but oddly enough they don't seem to impressed at the time. There are also pitlane and startline marshals who do a slightly different but equally important job.

Moo
18-11-13, 05:31 PM
Cool, hopefully see you at Brands Hatch in April then :)
I registered with Racesafe a couple weeks ago.

Loops123
18-11-13, 09:09 PM
Moo, thanks for your response, sounds interesting. I'll take a better look at the link and see about signing up. :-)

wheelers
18-11-13, 09:27 PM
my greatest keepsake is Steve Hislop's rostrum champagne bottle from Thruxton BSB race before his untimely death. we were marshalling at Nobles when he came off in practice. looked after him until recovery came. found a few bits of panels and he signed them in the evening and gave us the bottle signing it as well for looking after him.
not like some of the F1 premadonnas. another notable day was pushing Steve Sprays Norton back into the paddock from Stebbe Straight at Mallory. got to the paddock entrance and mobbed by Norton Technicians who rushed it away. plenty more memories from 20+ years marshalling from GP/WSB down to club and MotoX world to club events seen a few sad days as well!!

Moo
19-11-13, 06:30 PM
Some good memories :) The majority are still down to earth and appreciate what we do which is always nice.

my greatest keepsake is Steve Hislop's rostrum champagne bottle from Thruxton BSB race before his untimely death. we were marshalling at Nobles when he came off in practice. looked after him until recovery came. found a few bits of panels and he signed them in the evening and gave us the bottle signing it as well for looking after him.
not like some of the F1 premadonnas. another notable day was pushing Steve Sprays Norton back into the paddock from Stebbe Straight at Mallory. got to the paddock entrance and mobbed by Norton Technicians who rushed it away. plenty more memories from 20+ years marshalling from GP/WSB down to club and MotoX world to club events seen a few sad days as well!!

Birdylegs
19-11-13, 08:31 PM
Email sent never through about trying last year but always wished I could try it thanks

Moo
23-11-13, 10:01 AM
Hopefully I might see one or two of you next season but just in case there are any questions the link below is a link to an interview with the gloriously eccentric Biggles which pretty much answers most questions I could think of:

http://www.crash.net/bsb/interview/198471/1/biggles_riddle_racesafe_marshal_-_qa.html

Loops123
01-12-13, 10:25 AM
email sent a week ago....no response yet :-( I'll assume Nino is on holiday.

wheelers
01-12-13, 10:56 AM
http://m.eurosport.co.uk/moto/romboni-dies-in-crash-at-simoncelli-tribute-event_sto4028072/story.shtml
just one of the things a marshal has to deal with, RIP Dario I remember seeing him at Donnington GP

Conehead
01-12-13, 04:01 PM
I was talking to Nino but he has gone very quite, I have just emailed him again for a reply as I have been waiting since 17th for a reply.

Moo
04-12-13, 07:00 AM
He's usually fairly prompt in replying so I assume he has been either busy with Racesafe as they have been finalising the arrangements for next year or on Holiday.

Conehead
04-12-13, 08:30 PM
i am now officially on the register and he will be sending the details through soon. Will see you around the track Moo. I am a happy man.

Loops123
06-12-13, 07:35 PM
Still no response :-(

Moo
07-12-13, 09:41 AM
Might be worth sending it again if you haven't heard anything as he is keen to get new marshals. If you don't hear anything after that I can try and give him a poke if you let me know.

Conehead
08-12-13, 11:11 AM
Definately chase him again Loops but wait a week as he is on holiday from today.

Loops123
08-12-13, 07:16 PM
I'll try and remember to email him again in a weeks time :-)