PDA

View Full Version : New Baby Harley

WR6133
06-11-13, 09:32 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-mo-autos-harley-davidson-street-500-street-750-20131101,0,443022.story#axzz2jo1Cv81T

I WANT!!!

If the $-£ is converted properly that's about £4200 new. At 500cc hopefully it won't require selling of the soul to keep it full of petrol too.

Nelly
06-11-13, 09:35 AM
I actually like this. Looks a bit mean...

WR6133
06-11-13, 09:51 AM
Without the headlight fairing and with a sissy bar for the pillion I reckon this will look awesome.... and the price, give it a couple of years for them to be going secondhand and I know what I will be buying even if they don't depreciate much they will still cost less than a decent 5+ year old 883 sportster.

It's actually changed my bike buying plans I was going to do my DAS in the next couple of months and buy an old knackered sportster (then struggle to keep fuel in the tank). Now I'm of the mind to trade up my Chinese bike for the 250 version run it a couple of years till these have matured and get one 2nd hand.

Swanny
06-11-13, 10:14 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5277dfd3/turbine/la-fi-mo-autos-harley-davidson-street-500-stre-001/600

Looks good for a Harley

Dabz
06-11-13, 11:36 AM
I wonder how much power it'll make - some of the huge engines on Harleys only make 70bhp ish but you'd need a certain amount to make this fun

QB1
06-11-13, 12:39 PM
Ummmm not sure.

I'm not really a Harley fan I guess.

Looks mean in black but I think its spoiled by the exhaust and what looks like a huge radiator and radiator surround.

Berniebloke
06-11-13, 01:06 PM
I like it ��

Wes
06-11-13, 06:03 PM
Looks a bit like the Victory hammer 8 ball

Vulcanboy
07-11-13, 06:28 PM
Looks good. The headlight surround and radiator seem a bit on the large side, though. Richard

Swanny
07-11-13, 06:53 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/300919/images/photo4.jpg

http://www.indiatvnews.com/upload/news/neweditor/Image/2013/businessindia/nov/har4.jpg

http://www.indiatvnews.com/upload/news/neweditor/Image/2013/businessindia/nov/har6.jpg

SupeRDel
08-11-13, 04:37 PM
I wonder how much power it'll make - some of the huge engines on Harleys only make 70bhp ish but you'd need a certain amount to make this fun

Power or speed on a Harley is irrelevant.

I thought they were all limited to 50mph

Dabz
08-11-13, 04:39 PM
50 is a fair enough speed on a cruiser but it depends how long it takes to get up to that speed! Without a sensible amount of power you're going to lose the power to pull away quick or overtake with roll-on speed, so it'd be boring

DC
09-11-13, 12:36 AM
A Harley is a Harley , like Marmite you either love them or hate them , but no getting away from the fact that they are a Classic Iconic motorcycle............ Just looks like they've lost the plot with that thing !!!

cerruti
09-11-13, 04:18 PM
I don't like it.... At all. Its trying to be something else. Like the Vrod (don't like that either).

Ps, Harleys are not restricted to 50mph, lol! Its just that any faster and its just not so comfy. 50 is a nice number to cruise at :-)

Red Zed 1
09-11-13, 05:12 PM
i like it..might even try one out ..i like the idea that the pegs are not stretched too far in front..ideal for shortasses like me

Julie_S
09-11-13, 07:49 PM
When I read 500 I was expecting it to be a single like the Buell that never got sold over here

When I was a kiddie I fell in love with the looks of the Harley XLCR Cafe racer I'd seen in MCN, saw one once in the flesh in Weymouth, must have been 1979 - remember walking around it for ages like some prowling lion! That was way before Harleys became 'a British Institution'

The fact that it looks like an XLCR and is black goes a long way for me. Still can't ever see a time when I would want a Harley, but I like it. That to me looks very much like one, might not do parked within 30 feet of one but in a picture you can see. Unfortunately I can't see it being very popular as it doesn't look enough like a traditional Harley. Good luck to them though

Conehead
10-11-13, 08:33 PM
It looks very nice but I have never been a HD man.

Jon_W
11-11-13, 08:05 AM
Looks good!

About time Harley replaced the old 883. Hopefully the engine and box are good.

Sins
27-01-14, 07:32 PM
I think the 883 Iron will be here for years to come..they're a cheap way into the Brand and hold their price well. I'd have on as a "Bar Hopper" great fun.. the new 500 and 750 street are there to open up the market to the countries that restrict learner on engine size.. and it's on sale in india before here for that reason.. As for Big Harleys only making 70 hp..Mmm well my big twin cam 103 came out of the box with 86hp not bad considering it fires 5 degrees after TDC in order to meet our emissions.. it's the torque that they deliver makes them go..102 lbft.. to give you an idea a new Busa is 194 hp and 114 lb ft. the option cams for mine are around £400 and after setting the to run you bolt on 33 more hp and a shed load of torque. Saying that I loved the Busa..but couldn't do 700 miles in a day on it..and walk after.. now its 100mph through the toll roads with the cruise control on.. Happy days

shiftyblake
27-01-14, 07:55 PM
Not ready for that yet, but hats off to you if it floats your boat, might get ya tassels in chaps caught on the pipes though Y..M...C...A... !!, .....saw a Night Rod once that was cool! Would have ridden and enjoyed it, along as nobody spotted me !!!

WR6133
27-01-14, 08:00 PM
Looks like the 500 isn't making the UK. Guess it's back to dreaming of chopping my JL250-5 in for a Dragstar

Sins
27-01-14, 08:04 PM
I suggest you give any of the Rods a go.. they really don't hang around. I'm lucky because of contacts I get to ride all sorts.. sometimes just to put some miles on before they go to shows all over europe..bed the brakes in that sort of thing. But no tassels for me or chaps..very YMCA plus they expose the bits that hit the deck..lol.. ridden a lot in the states so I know thats where they are needed just to keep the bugs off your jeans.. over here..Nah! can't stand them

Sins
27-01-14, 08:10 PM
My mate got a 1200 nightster for his wife the year before last..09 plate bit rough but did it up over the winter.. a friend at 8 Ball did the paint..its the dogs danglies.. and it cost £3400..worth twice that now..Ill dig out a picture WR6133

Sins
27-01-14, 08:20 PM
Not bad for a nightster

WR6133
27-01-14, 09:28 PM
Not bad for a nightster

Long time before I can buy something like that! At least without the Mrs divorcing me ;) . Of the 883's I prefer the roadster I like the "fuller" look as opposed to bobbed/minimalist.

I ride 300 quids worth of Chinese 250 that I spent the last 3 months getting on the road

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/LPIC4841_zps65a2bd1a.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/LPIC4841_zps65a2bd1a.jpg.html)

Sins
27-01-14, 09:48 PM
Well it's a credit to you Bud.. I don't care what it is as long as you ride it.. Unlike when I started riding when there was a lot of rubbish around.. Normally British lol.. I do a bit of fabricating.. Metal working and spray painting..including airbrushing. I'm looking for a project myself..helps thatI started as an apprentice panel beater on Rolls Royce.. .

Sins
27-01-14, 10:01 PM

WR6133
27-01-14, 10:23 PM
Yep the rear fender is a direct copy. It's sort of a confused mix of HD and a marauder, with a copy/rip off of an old Honda 250 engine (as used in the Rebel CMX250 and old CB250). Comfy little thing when it behaves though, it's taken me to South Wales and back with a long detour round the Beacons and Abergavenny. I had the 125 version as well but that was the bike from Hell, I sold it on with more cable ties and gaffa tape than metal.

DC
27-01-14, 10:51 PM
Long time before I can buy something like that! At least without the Mrs divorcing me ;) . Of the 883's I prefer the roadster I like the "fuller" look as opposed to bobbed/minimalist.

I ride 300 quids worth of Chinese 250 that I spent the last 3 months getting on the road

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/LPIC4841_zps65a2bd1a.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/LPIC4841_zps65a2bd1a.jpg.html)

If it's your Pride and joy it's your pride and joy WR6133 !!! It's two wheels :cool:

Sins
27-01-14, 11:07 PM
I think your bike looks great mate.. If you could take that back in time to when I started everyone would want one.. And it least you get out and about.. Last year I was in the Oxford HD dealership and there was a three year old soft tail for sale.. I hit the speedo button..860 miles.. So it was due it's first mot before it's first service.. What a waste!!..

Trev
28-01-14, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=WR6133;458835]Long time before I can buy something like that! At least without the Mrs divorcing me ;) . Of the 883's I prefer the roadster I like the "fuller" look as opposed to bobbed/minimalist.

That's a lot of bike for £300

WR6133
28-01-14, 09:28 AM
Last year I was in the Oxford HD dealership and there was a three year old soft tail for sale.. I hit the speedo button..860 miles.. So it was due it's first mot before it's first service.. What a waste!!..

There's a street bob near me that the guy seems to have bought, put under a cover and (literally) not moved for 9 months. Pointless waste

That's a lot of bike for £300

Yeah I couldn't quite believe it myself. It's probably cost me another 200 in parts, though 100 of that was to replace the stock mufflers after some tosser vandalised them.

Sins
28-01-14, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=WR6133;458847]There's a street bob near me that the guy seems to have bought, put under a cover and (literally) not moved for 9 months. Pointless waste

There's some HOG members who buy them just to say.. " I ride a Harley ".. They buy the CVO models and tow them behind their equally expensive RV to the rally's even if they are 50 miles down the road.. Still you get to buy a low mileage example years down the line. Lol
i picked the silver Fatboy in the picture up on the Wednesday .. 8 miles on the clock and booked it in for its first service the following week..rode it home..plus a quick blast.. Loaded the camping gear on a rode it to the Wallis rally in Stirling the next morning..it poured down a blew a gale for the whole way..couldn't get the smile off my face

DC
28-01-14, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=WR6133;458847]There's a street bob near me that the guy seems to have bought, put under a cover and (literally) not moved for 9 months. Pointless waste

There's some HOG members who buy them just to say.. " I ride a Harley ".. They buy the CVO models and tow them behind their equally expensive RV to the rally's even if they are 50 miles down the road.. Still you get to buy a low mileage example years down the line. Lol
i picked the silver Fatboy in the picture up on the Wednesday .. 8 miles on the clock and booked it in for its first service the following week..rode it home..plus a quick blast.. Loaded the camping gear on a rode it to the Wallis rally in Stirling the next morning..it poured down a blew a gale for the whole way..couldn't get the smile off my face

Thunder in the glen , Wallis Rally , you seem to get up to Scotland quite a bit Sins :cool: I looked on the web for Wallis rally couldn't find anything any chance of a link?

FJ_Biker
28-01-14, 08:04 PM
Makes me wonder if one of the main markets for this bike will be China?

WR6133
28-01-14, 08:50 PM
Makes me wonder if one of the main markets for this bike will be China?

Unlikely, Urban China that could afford it is massively anti-motorcycle. Many cities ban them outright within the cities. Beijing has a 2 tier registration system and if you want the good number plate that still only allows you up to ring road 2 you have to fork out serious money to buy one off a current owner as they only issued a limited amount, caught without the right type of plate and they crush the bike. Add to that imported bikes garner 75% or more to the price in taxes and charges. There's also a bit of a social stigma many urban (only people that may afford a HD) Chinese see bikes as something for the backward countryside peasants (who rely on the cheap Chinese bikes to go anywhere).

Amusingly the reason many cities claim for banning or restricting bikes is "air pollution".

(Only know all this because the wife is from Beijing)

FJ_Biker
28-01-14, 09:11 PM
Interesting. Do they have a cc size restriction like other countries in Asia?

WR6133
28-01-14, 10:17 PM
Interesting. Do they have a cc size restriction like other countries in Asia?

It varies from place to place (it's down to municipal/provincial laws not national). I've seen big bikes on the outskirts of Beijing but they were older imported (probably illegally) Jap stuff and toys for spoiled kids of the uber-rich. Probably near 90% of what you see is 150cc and under both due to rules in certain areas and that motorcycles are banned on most of the Chinese Motorways so there is no point having anything designed to do much more than 50mph as speed limits are low there and the local coppers enjoy enforcing them (for the bribes from busted drivers).

Sins
28-01-14, 10:54 PM
Evening Cool Daddy.. Yes I love riding around the Highlands, the people are great. The roads are fantastic..shame you can't guarantee the weather.. Although I did get a sun tan once.. The Wallis Rally is in Stirling in the grounds of the Rugby ground. it's a Harley Federation club.. Just look up "The Caledonia Harley Club" and you'll find the link.. There is a downside.. Non Harley's by club invitation only. Great Rally though..

DC
29-01-14, 07:10 AM
Love to ride around the Highlands too , my favourite roads are up there , it's a special place and yes it is a shame you can't guarantee the weather , but on the upside along with the midges it keeps down the overcrowding :cool: You can ride all day in the north west in summer and never see a soul . Shame The Wallis Rally is a bit of a closed shop . My Mum was born in Stirlingshire at Airthrey Castle near Bridge of Allan , it was converted into a hospital during the war and my Gran was evacuated to there from Glasgow to give birth to her . Never actually been there , must have a look one day :D

Sins
29-01-14, 07:42 AM
I know what you mean when you say it's a special place. Those little sweeping roads through the Highlands are a dream. Makes me want to saddle up right now. As for "The Wallis" .. It's just one of those things.. But there again no different to other "owners" clubs.. MG..VW and the like..they just want to maintain the theme I guess. Thunder in the Glens on the other hand is basically open for all.. It's held in the grounds of the MacDonald's hotel chain.. But the whole village turns itself to the Rally. We like to stay in one of the Hotels. But you can also camp in the grounds. It's run by Hog so is very organised ..great live music and bars around every corner..and the Sunday ride out which the locals get the chairs out and watch the bikes go by..I think it was over 500 bikes last year, and although it was mainly Harley's there was all sorts there..every make you can think of..

DC
29-01-14, 07:56 AM
Heading from Applecross towards Torridon.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/daddycool42/Scotland%202012/200820121183.jpg (http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/daddycool42/media/Scotland%202012/200820121183.jpg.html)

Sins
29-01-14, 08:22 AM
If the lottery ever comes up..I'll be up there just riding and taking in the views.. Fantastic.. Mmm I feel the need for a Bell Haven for some reason..lol

DC
29-01-14, 08:26 AM
If the lottery ever comes up..I'll be up there just riding and taking in the views.. Fantastic.. Mmm I feel the need for a Bell Haven for some reason..lol

Or a pint 'O' Heavy :D

Sins
29-01-14, 08:31 AM
Now your talking.. I had a great time in Avimore last year.. Got to find the time to go this year.. Either to TTIG.. Or just a road trip..

DC
29-01-14, 08:41 AM
I have to get a fix some time soon !!! :cool:

Kevinb
29-01-14, 01:21 PM
Never wanted a big Harley so wouldn't want a toy one. Times have moved on and now the Japanese, English & Italians do customs much better. Better quality, more reliable and usually cheaper.

Sins
29-01-14, 06:11 PM
Well I've never had any problems with any of my Harley's. ... They hold there price better than any other make.. As for better mmm it's a matter of taste. A mate had the big Kawasaki tourer..he loved it ..let him have ago on mine..he rides a Harley now.
I never slag off others bikes..just good that people ride.. Used to love my Japs but they had their problems.. I looked at triumphs as I love the styling but the finish is a little delicate.. A mate who works for triumph put me right on that.. I thought the scrambler should fair well but they fur up in no time when the weather turns. Still fancy the explorer though.

Annie
29-01-14, 06:55 PM
Well all this tech talk has befuddled the brain....:confused: I ride Ian does the tech ;)
I bought my Harley 883 Sporty in 1998, She was the evo version (1992). Have to say she was the perfect ladies bike.
I sold her in 2009 and got the same price bar £50 that I paid for her.....result.
I put loads of very comfy and most enjoyable miles on the clock.
If my leg and hip had held out I'd still be riding her today :cool:

I miss her :(

RoadRocket
29-01-14, 09:27 PM
Well I've never had any problems with any of my Harley's. ...

+1 on that. I've had loads of British and Jap bikes and a couple of Harleys over many years and I'd rate the build quality of a modern Harley against any Jap cruiser any day.

A bloke at work bought a Dragstar about a week after I bought my first Harley. The engine paint started peeling off his Yamaha within two months, after six months it looked awful whilst mine looked as good as new. I kept my Harley for three years, took it back to the dealer I bought it from and got just five hundred quid less than I paid for it new. I part exchanged it for another Harley because I enjoyed riding the first one so much. The bloke at work sold his Yamaha after a year and lost a couple of grand.

I hate listening to people slagging off off another rider's machine when you'd think they'd respect anybody who's daft enough to ride anything nowadays given the abysmal standard of driving you see every day. I love riding any bike and I don't care where it's made or who makes it. I just think myself lucky every time I swing my leg over one. I rode an old BSA Bantam a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful, I hadn't ridden one for years and it gave me the biggest smile, I'm still smiling now.

Sins
29-01-14, 10:22 PM
Evening Rocket..pleased to hear you enjoyed your Harley time. Nice to know you're still smiling from your Bantam ride... Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....lol. Amazing how things have changed.. I used to think some my old bikes went well.. I had ago on a beautiful GS1000E.. Brakes were rubbish and it didn't handle like I remembered..would I have one again...to true I would!!!

Kevinb
30-01-14, 01:28 PM
Must admit the first Hinckley Bonnie I had did have the chrome flaking off of the Italian rims and I did change the cases for chrome items as the originals had suffered during winter months. I love the Rocket Roadster (not a fan of feet forward riding) as it sort of goes with my bulk and makes me look smaller

Sins
30-01-14, 11:13 PM
The Rocket is a nice machine.. I keep looking at them in blades in Swindon.. Last year they were very heavily discounted as they are of a "Marmite" bike to some and they couldn't shift them.. There's a custom painted one in the trade centre which belonged to one of the salesmen.. If money was no object I'd definitely go for one.. They had a new "Indian" in too.. It was a red Chieftain.. Not sure if I liked it as much in the flesh as I did in the picture.. But time will tell if it's up to much..

Kevinb
31-01-14, 01:27 PM
Reading MCN Indians are in a legal battle so could be a good investment if Polaris loose as they would have to call them something else from March onwards so the few 'Indians' already sold/for sale could be a very limited number.

Sins
31-01-14, 10:27 PM
I'll have to try to get hold of a copy of as I'd like to read the story, seems a shame Polaris bought the rights to Indian, or so we were lead to believe.. They've poured millions into the new engine. Would have been so easy just to use the engine out of the victory range..

Sins
04-02-14, 09:58 AM
I found the story on the net.. Seems that the that one of the indigenous native Indian tribes are filing a law suite regarding the right to use the word "Indian" as a trade mark.

Its all down to the idea that if using the trade name and imagery makes the average guy in the street believe that the native Americans are profiting from the sale of the motorcycle brand. Which of course they don't.. It's an attempt in the US to repay the Indian nation for the exploitation of the past and to ensure it doesn't continue in the future. It might lead to other such actions regarding the symbolism used though out the states with every type of product and even sports teams that used Indian images in their merchandise.