PDA

View Full Version : Driver blocks me from filtering

nelsonmf
03-11-13, 07:55 PM
A few weeks ago on my way to work a driver blocked me from filtering. Unbelievable!

If you live in Salisbury, watch out for this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8USOz67lY

Birdylegs
03-11-13, 08:19 PM
At least you kept the conversation to mostly 4 letter words :D

Rabb
03-11-13, 08:46 PM
There are lots of crap drivers out there that can't even control one vehicle let alone try to keep traffic flowing.
He may have thought that giving you room on his offside would enable you to pass with ease.
I have had people try to stop me overtaking them by taking a position on the centre-line!
I just wait until I can give them a really wide-berth and accelerate away from them.
I drive through Salisbury on a regular basis and have had 'Two stoppie moments' where cars turning right across the flow of traffic have tried to make me part of their 'Bonnet Furniture' - I must be that good looking!
The first guy that did this to me was hit by a fully snorkelled up Range Rover trying the same manoeuvre two weeks later!
Just remember its a 'what goes around comes around thing'!

By the way I think that I spotted you on Monday or Tuesday of last week driving north on the A36 - was it you?
(I was on my blue & white GSXR) ??

nelsonmf
03-11-13, 09:24 PM
haha there were more than 4 letter words :D

blue and white GSXR? Driving north on the A36?What do you mean by north? At what time? Did I nod you? Generally I nod to every motorcycle even if they are on the other side of the road and I'm doing a valentino rossi corner but rarely I get a nod back. (exaggerating a little bit when saying "valentino rossi corner" ;))

Mal103
03-11-13, 09:38 PM
Probably an idiot driver , no real reason to pull left as he stopped. Not sure of the mentality of people who block bikes as it doesn't affect them if we pass or not as we won't be holding them up either way. Had similar recently but from the left lane who were probably just trying to look ahead.
try to resist the urge to push their wing mirror.... :)

nelsonmf
03-11-13, 09:41 PM
Probably an idiot driver , no real reason to pull left as he stopped. Not sure of the mentality of people who block bikes as it doesn't affect them if we pass or not as we won't be holding them up either way. Had similar recently but from the left lane who were probably just trying to look ahead.
try to resist the urge to push their wing mirror.... :)

I'm new to these situations. After that I thought I should have put my shoe print on his door but the wing mirror is a good idea. Maybe next time ;)

Snowy
03-11-13, 09:53 PM
Can't see really what the car drivers done wrong. Yes, they've moved over 6-12 inches but what makes you think they've done that deliberately to spoil your filtering? Very minor in my opinion.

nelsonmf
03-11-13, 09:55 PM
Can't see really what the car drivers done wrong. Yes, they've moved over 6-12 inches but what makes you think they've done that deliberately to spoil your filtering? Very minor in my opinion.

6-12inches was what the caravan driver moved and was just enough for me to pass through.

Mal103
03-11-13, 10:06 PM
To be honest I probably would have just pulled up behind and waited, if you had trouble squeezing through and the lights changed...
Wouldn't advise kicking the door or hitting the mirror, just tempting sometimes. If they did react badly then you are more vulnerable.
More tempting to just pull up alongside and push the mirror with your finger to change the angle/view ;)

nelsonmf
03-11-13, 10:09 PM
More tempting to just pull up alongside and push the mirror with your finger to change the angle/view ;)

So cool!!! I'll not forget that one :D

Rabb
03-11-13, 11:31 PM
About 8.30am A36 northbound just before bakery on right (Just past the Wilton roundabout)??
I always nod too (I do it in the car too :-)

QB1
04-11-13, 08:12 AM
Just maybe -

1. He thought you'd overtake on the right, or
2. He was moving over ready to move into the left lane having realised he was in the wrong long, or
3. He didnt have a clue you were there.

Me I cant help thinking life's too short to get wound up about minor things like that - 2 minutes down the road and you're gonna be nipping past anyway.

If that's the worst that happened that day surely its not that bad.

wiltshire builders
04-11-13, 09:12 AM
I think this was a massive overreaction on your part.
I agree with the above comments that it was more likely he didn't see you.
Filtering isn't a right. If there's no room you can't do it and you tried to force your way through swearing all the way.
What if the caravan rolled back? The black car, frightened by you, lurched forward?
You put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation when there were other options available to save yourself exactly 0 minutes.

We've all done it but the key to safe, progressive riding is knowing when you are at fault and adjusting your riding or attitude accordingly.

spudgun
04-11-13, 03:31 PM
I think filtering is a very grey area. Different people can read the road in different ways, eg,

Technically, you could have been in the wrong - The car has started to move left from the outside lane, (presumably) to the inside lane (without indication), yet you have started an "undertake" move on him, causing him to stop!

But, if the car was moving from the inside lane to the outside lane, he has failed to spot you overtaking him - then it's a different ball game that's more in your favour!

Trev
04-11-13, 04:59 PM
I agree with the above comments that it was more likely he didn't see you.
Filtering isn't a right. If there's no room you can't do it

Agreed, on a bike you often have the benefit of more options being open to you than when in a car but that also requires more, and better, decision making, one of the options is always to wait. I try and use a similar approach to planning an overtake on the open road, if it's not on then wait, another opportunity will come up. Might be different if you're delivering a kidney but not if 5 minutes late for work ; )

I don't commute often on a bike but get about 15k miles a year on two wheels and drive 30k+ miles in a car and see plenty of examples of poor driving (and riding!) and used to get very wound up about some of them. Now I adopt a 'holier than thou' approach and just pity the fool for not having my levels of skill and observation! Works a treat for keeping cool about crap road behaviour even if I know I'm kidding myself big time that I never get it wrong.

As for kicking doors, busting mirrors if I inadvertently block your path one day - very silly idea

QB1
04-11-13, 05:09 PM
Now I adopt a 'holier than thou' approach and just pity the fool for not having my levels of skill and observation! Works a treat for keeping cool about crap road behaviour even if I know I'm kidding myself big time that I never get it wrong.

As for kicking doors, busting mirrors if I inadvertently block your path one day - very silly idea

Ditto ;) :D :D

Does that come with age or experience Trev, maybe a bit of both?

I used to get very uptight about situations just like that and, yes, would have been the one cursing, but not any more and to be honest I get most places much quicker and with a lot less stress.

If it were me I'd scrub the YouTube clip and put it down to experience, but if someone had suggested that 10 years ago (if YouTube was around then?) I would have probably told them to sod off too.

nelsonmf
04-11-13, 08:43 PM
About 8.30am A36 northbound just before bakery on right (Just past the Wilton roundabout)??
I always nod too (I do it in the car too :-)

Yeah that was me ;)

Thanks guys for your opinions and share of experiences. That's a good way of learning. And the video has been a laugh with my friends, so can't see the problem of some of you saying to remove it. Relax.

I could see from his face that he was not surprised with the situation, he knew what he was doing.

I've been blocked inadvertently before, I can see the difference and this never happened. Anyway, your quote seems a little bit off. Calm down.

redken1
04-11-13, 11:08 PM
Perhaps some of the judgements based on a very short video clip, which does not show the driver’s face are a tad unfair? It has happened to me - I just laugh it off and blast past with a twist of the wrist when the opportunity presents itself further down the road.:cool:

Ade
04-11-13, 11:20 PM

Agree here with Graeme. Why try and still push through a decreased gap? Whether he has deliberated blocked you or inadvertently moved over, not cool to put yourself in an even more dangerous position. You have almost forced the caravan driver to move by him seeing you trying to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there .. all through your frustration with the car driver.

Just stay behind .. you'll be past at next safe opportunity.

Berniebloke
05-11-13, 07:31 AM
Yeah that was me ;)

Thanks guys for your opinions and share of experiences. That's a good way of learning. And the video has been a laugh with my friends, so can't see the problem of some of you saying to remove it. Relax.

I could see from his face that he was not surprised with the situation, he knew what he was doing.

I've been blocked inadvertently before, I can see the difference and this never happened. Anyway, your quote seems a little bit off. Calm down.

Sorry mate but you are the one that put this up for info and discussion and now you are telling people responding to calm down and relax ? Maybe think about taking some of your own advice and calm down and relax when riding and such situations occur !

wiltshire builders
05-11-13, 09:13 AM
Perhaps some of the judgements based on a very short video clip, which does not show the driver’s face are a tad unfair? It has happened to me - I just laugh it off and blast past with a twist of the wrist when the opportunity presents itself further down the road.:cool:

Obviously we weren't there and you're right that it's difficult to make a judgment on such a short clip.
What does stand out is his attitude toward riding, other road users and the situation.

Trev
05-11-13, 09:30 AM
Yeah that was me ;)

Apologies, I thought the words 'very silly' were pretty calm but I'll tone it down a level next time. Yup good advice on the calm down front, thanks

shiftyblake
05-11-13, 12:39 PM
Doesn't look malicious to me, he is on his side of the road? Even if it is KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON. He even moves back for you when you trying to get by? I wouldn't like to upset you ha ha !!

Julie_S
05-11-13, 09:24 PM
Push comes to shove a road user is entitled to the whole of the lane they are in. No one is going to expect an 'overtake' from the left of them, particulary if they are an older slower nervous driver (that car alone should be enough to say 'ditherer') or a youngsters on the phone texting whilst whizzing from MacDonalds to McDonalds (not stereotypes, just examples people) Think you'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket legally trying to apportion blame him if he had hit you.

Think we saw you coming out of Salisbury on the Devizes Road on saturday, black street triple with helmet mounted camera? wouldn't have seen us as we were in a diesel MG

Jon_W
14-11-13, 02:16 PM
Happens all the time. Just wait and overtake as soon as it's safe.

I find riding a scruffy old bike seems to reduce this...

Birdylegs
14-11-13, 04:03 PM
I got a skull sticker on the front wearing a army hat no jaw bone and a bullet coming out from him being shot that might be why drivers avoid contact with me a skull and crossbones say more then words

nelsonmf
16-11-13, 06:43 PM
As I said before, thanks to all for the comments (all of them). It really made me look to the situation differently. Next time I will not do the same for sure. My safety is first and that was dumb forcing my way, whether I am right or not. But I'll keep cursing, can't help it, it's not in English and I'm the only one that can hear anyway :D

Rabb, where you today in salisbury parking the bike in Nero cafe with other biker? Do you wear an army colour jacket?

Julie S, yes, that was me for sure. Next time beep or do lights signaling or just wave :) On that saturday a guy from his car gave me a thumbs up. Probably a biker.

Mal103
16-11-13, 06:51 PM
Being able to take stock and assess oneself and ones actions is a massive thing to be able to do, life is a journey and so should be seen as a constant learning curve. Well done on re-thinking it! We all have days when we push through or overtake without assessing properly.

Conehead
16-11-13, 09:49 PM
I have been reluctant to comment on this post till now as I know it will be looked on in a bad light.

Firstly I live 2 mins away from where this happened and the lane that the car driver was in is dedicated to going straight on or turning right around the roundabout. I hate this junction as every person and their family think that they can go into the right lane and force their way into traffic going left which in this case goes from one lane back into 2 (Check google maps). I have had many a complaint with idiots on the road that fully believe they are entitled to turn left from the right lane but the marking and signage clearly states the opposite.

Secondly, I am not condoning what nelsonmf has done as it was dangerous but I think he uses this junction alot as well and it is just frustrating.

I have even seen emergency personel including police do it the wrong way and have had words with them at the next traffic lights where they have told me I am incorrect where I have always offered to go back to the junction with them stating they could fine me if I was wrong but surprisingly enough they dont take me up on the offer. The worst reply I had was from an ambulance driver (not on call) stating that I should **** off.

I am not looking for a slanging match on this just wanted to give my opinion on this junction. Ride safe and dont always believe people will do as instructed.

Mal103
17-11-13, 10:51 PM
Agree that some roundabouts are badly signed in Salisbury, especially that one, there is a dodgy one going in the other direction where you have to get in the right hand lane to continue on the A36.

wiltshire builders
18-11-13, 06:31 PM
As I said before, thanks to all for the comments (all of them). It really made me look to the situation differently. Next time I will not do the same for sure. My safety is first and that was dumb forcing my way, whether I am right or not. But I'll keep cursing, can't help it, it's not in English and I'm the only one that can hear anyway :D

Rabb, where you today in salisbury parking the bike in Nero cafe with other biker? Do you wear an army colour jacket?

Julie S, yes, that was me for sure. Next time beep or do lights signaling or just wave :) On that saturday a guy from his car gave me a thumbs up. Probably a biker.

Great to hear. It takes a real man to admit he may be at fault.
We all let the red mist decend at times but it's recognising it that's the hard part.
It's very easy to get complacent and think you're the only one who knows what they're doing on the road.
I had a scary moment in Lithuania this summer and if it wasn't for the quick reactions of a car driver I would probably be writing this from a wheelchair and I would have had only myself to blame.
It certainly gave me a reality check!

nelsonmf
20-11-13, 10:03 PM
Agree that some roundabouts are badly signed in Salisbury, especially that one, there is a dodgy one going in the other direction where you have to get in the right hand lane to continue on the A36.

Roundabouts in England in general are awfully signed. Anyway, I don't think that was the cause of the drivers behavior, his look on his face seemed impavid and serene, he didn't look lost or confused with his direction at all. Also, he didn't give signaling to change lane and he straightened the wheels so he was going straight.

As for the filtering side, I always see everyone filtering in between cars/layers, so some cars are being filtered from the right and others from the left. I did that when police cars are in the queue and also you can see videos of police in motorbikes doing the same. Can't see where the problem is on going between lanes when traffic is stopped.

I think is good to say on this thread that every time I have to filter, drivers (here in england) do their best to clear the way for my filtering. It is actually difficult for me because I have to thank them all (with nods or left hand) :p this video was the only time I saw someone closing the gap in purpose (yes, I still think was in purpose).

wiltshire builders: We all learn with our mistakes. It sounds like it was a serious moment. Glad you are ok.

Conehead: I don't see the problem of changing lanes before getting into the roundabout. What I see is people from the most right lane cutting the middle lane entering to the round about. But that's like when people turn into a road, they don't know how to make a 90º turn, ie without crossing the other lane. This happens so much here in England. Not saying I never do mistakes and taht I'm a very good driver/biker but I see so much bad driving in UK compared to my country.

Anyway, when you see the video just have a laugh, not too worry too much. I learned my lesson for next time thanks to your comments.