PDA

View Full Version : What side of the lane

Mal103
31-10-13, 11:02 PM
So I have a road on my commute that has several sharp bends downhill, you sometimes get traffic stopped so need to go very slow on the bends, sometimes taking a wide arc near the middle of the road so you can see more, other times you get a lorry coming the other way chopping off the bend so you need to keep tight left.
Recently the road has been covered in leaves washed down the hill, this has built up in the middle of the road and the middle of each lane, my question is which side of your lane would you choose.
Going over the leaves in the middle of your lane is not a good idea, staying on the right and hitting the leaves in the centre of the road could put you on the other side, staying on the left means you can't see what's around the bend until you are on top of it...

Which would you choose - Left or right?

8_ball
01-11-13, 12:13 AM
I choose the verge ?????

all the leaves are on the road ...............lol..

the left lane and go slower..... if you get caught out on the right and swerve you not only run the risk of hitting on coming traffic but also losing control on the leaves and hitting the vehicle ,,,,possibly around the bend....

Jon_W
01-11-13, 08:06 AM
Either. Depends on circumstance, but as 8 ball says, better avoid the oncoming lorries!!!

Ducatista
01-11-13, 09:36 AM
Personally I would choose the left wheel track and adjust my speed downwards to compensate for the lack of view.
That should avoid coming into contention with any oncoming traffic and also having to cross the middle section.
However you need to pay special attention to any junctions/driveways on the nearside as it's not a good position to be seen.

Vulcanboy
01-11-13, 11:56 AM
LEFT ! ... and adjust your speed having due regards for what might be around the corner.

Mark_Able
01-11-13, 04:58 PM
Yep, always left when the grip in the middle of the lane is compromised. Reduce speed accordingly. Don't worry about going too slow. Pressure from following vehicles can encourage you into going too fast.

Conehead
01-11-13, 07:34 PM
As everyone else has said, keep it on the left and preferably upright.

Mal103
01-11-13, 11:40 PM
What a topic to start! Tonight I was on another stretch of road with leaves in the middle, on a downhill bit there was mud all over the road and I couldn't slow down even more, or keep upright!!!

Ended up with a sore leg and covered in mud! Just the pride and front mudguard hurt, also the right mirror is now good for star gazing...

Conehead
02-11-13, 12:25 AM
At least you are ok. Bikes can be replaced, people cant.

Vulcanboy
02-11-13, 02:04 PM
Oops! Sorry to hear of your sore leg ....:(

Swanny
02-11-13, 02:09 PM
Glad you're ok

Mal103
02-11-13, 06:08 PM
Bit of paint, a wash, tinkering and glue and the Bandit is all back to normal. Just a few aches and bruises for me which made Karate interesting afterwards.
Had a nice ride out to Trowbridge this afternoon to a couple of bike shops to look at the shiny bits, feel better now!

redken1
02-11-13, 07:15 PM
Really glad that you are ok and that is the main thing. Mud on the road though - don't get me started - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shiftyblake
03-11-13, 04:13 PM
Just come back from riding many roads like that in North Wales. Cross the leaves before the corner. I always had enough tarmac to take a left hand corner in the right clear part of the lane without having the fear of a lorry hitting me unseen though.

Birdylegs
05-11-13, 05:18 PM
If you hit the leafs there'so no grip as they filter water so only mud remains I stop to let oncoming traffic in my lane to stop being hit by a splash sometimes the leafs also hide ice just drive slowly if no one is behind if you see something coming jump of bike and run for it lol best of luck everyone