PDA

View Full Version : That warm glow that only tinkering with a bike gives you....

Trev
30-10-13, 06:45 PM
What is it about fixing/modding your bike yourself that makes it so satisfying almost regardless of what bike it is?

Just spent two hours fixing a leak on the two stroke pump and making a home made mudflap for my Yammy V50. Fitted a waterproof plug cap and new HT lead the other night, can't wait to take it out in the next storm to see if it still cuts out every other mile ; )

Next up are some 'new' shocks in attempt to improve the handling from absolutely atrocious to appalling and counteract the super dry statement on my last MOT certificate 'slight loss of damping effect in rear shock absorbers'. They are 42 years old after all

Birdylegs
30-10-13, 07:20 PM
There's the same feeling fixing a breakdown at the side of the road on a cold winter night which starts first time after a wiggle and a blow on certain parts just needs a cup of tea in a warm comfy chair to reactivate.

Annie
31-10-13, 08:58 AM
My Honda CB 175 used to short out from the HT lead onto my leg in the rain, in the dark it looked really effective.....1977 that was. A bit of electrical tape later.... :D That was my first fix at the age of 17, I was so chuffed with myself, now I have a 'man that can' :rolleyes:

Swanny
31-10-13, 10:40 AM
What is it about fixing/modding your bike yourself that makes it so satisfying almost regardless of what bike it is?

I think it's called Love :D

Jon_W
31-10-13, 11:04 AM
I think it's called Love :D

Or not paying a garage!

Mal103
31-10-13, 10:52 PM
It is a good feeling of satisfaction, I recently raised my Bandit as it is a bit small for me - but was a bargain/good bike - the first ride afterwards was great!
Costing a fraction of what a garage would have charged was also good, so long as you are safe and do a good job!

Trev
01-11-13, 08:09 AM
Not paying a garage is definitely part of it but for the home tinkerer sometimes the mods or 'repairs' aren't even necessary, for sure I justify each and every one to myself but it can be more about the distraction from your daily routine.

Having said that my Gixer 11 is off to my local bike guy tomorrow to sort out a fuelling problem that I can't get to the bottom of. Probably means carbs need stripping and cleaning and given my 'workshop' time is usually snatched on the odd evening it would take literally weeks for me to sort + I haven't got an ultrasonic cleaner or access to balancing kit and spare jets if needed. Mark there really knows his big Jap motors and the £250 odd will be money well spent.

Might also get him to fit the K&N I've had lying around for ages along with a sneaky dynojet kit to breathe a bit more life into the old lump ; )

Silver Bird
01-11-13, 06:58 PM
My mate usually has to repair his bike after every ride out, he's got a old Norton Commando that he has had from new. I have had to back track on a few occasions to find him and find out what's fallen off. :)

Conehead
01-11-13, 07:36 PM
I always do as much maintenance as possible as it reduces the cost, builds up your knowledge and gives you pride in your machine.

If I have the money and a spare bike I would be tinkering all day long.

WR6133
01-11-13, 08:41 PM
Having an abused/extremely abused Chinese 125 the warm fuzzy feeling on fixing something left me 300 repairs ago.

I must be a masochist though as when I finally do my DAS I am thinking of getting the 250 version!

Birdylegs
01-11-13, 09:36 PM
Having an abused/extremely abused Chinese 125 the warm fuzzy feeling on fixing something left me 300 repairs ago.

I must be a masochist though as when I finally do my DAS I am thinking of getting the 250 version!
Sounds like it's no longer Chinese hope that makes you feel better ;)

Mal103
06-11-13, 06:01 PM
Tinkering again as got the week off...

Fitted the cheapo saddle bags to the bag and fairly impressed so far, will have to wait to see if they sag after a soaking. This means i can get rid of the tank bag that was bungied to the pillion seat and my rucksack won't "sit" on it anymore.
Also raised my seat by 5 washers, feel like i'm always sliding forwards and crushing things... seems okay so far, amazing how many little jobs can get done with a few hours fettling.

Brizzer
06-11-13, 07:13 PM
I tend to get that firey feeling when tinkering with bikes or cars, not a warm glow

Conehead
06-11-13, 07:34 PM
I am about to get this feeling again as soon as the weather improves as my bike has died on me. Gonna strip her down for a deep clean while I fix her but as it lives on the street I can only work on it when the weather is nice'ish'.