PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibes

Wes
27-10-13, 04:22 PM
Ive been getting a lot of vibration on the front recently, more so at higher speeds really, and i was at a bit of a loss as to why this was occurring.
Ive recently had a tyre change done at a garage, and you would like to assume that they would balance the wheels too, not the case here, and its not just one garage, as ive phoned up a few around to enquire about fitting/balancing only to be told they dont balance the wheel after the tyre change.
Now, ive got my own set up for tyre changing and balancing for the trackbike, so i thought i would check the wheel balance, and it was miles out!!
New weights now fitted, and all back on the bike, so i will be interested to see what difference it makes next time out :)

Dabz
27-10-13, 04:30 PM
Wow I would have assumed that balancing was included as standard! Very worrying but handy to know in case of vibration after new tyres

bobf279
27-10-13, 05:06 PM
Mine are balanced when I get them done at Protyre

Brizzer
27-10-13, 05:26 PM
its standard practice to balance any wheel once a tyre has been changed

Wes
27-10-13, 05:35 PM
Yes Bob protyre are pretty good, and ive always had really good service from them, brizzer, its always worth a check, its definitely not standard, as ive spoken to garages who fit but dont balance.

Birdylegs
27-10-13, 06:10 PM
Will checking balance be worth it if Tyre not been changed in a few years

Brizzer
27-10-13, 06:32 PM
I thought it was standard, perhaps its just the garages I use, any mechanic worth there salt would weight a wheel when fitting a tyre, surely that's basic apprentice stuff.

Brizzer
27-10-13, 06:33 PM
is there something wrong with your bike Birdylegs ? if there is then I think it would make sense to get it checked over :)

Uber Dave
27-10-13, 07:06 PM
I had similar ages ago. Had the front tyre done and it wasn't balanced. I was getting a small vibration which started on the foot rest, then worked its way up to the tail end and the seat, Only happened at higher speeds like yours.

I only found out when it was in for a service and asked the yamaha mechanics to look at it. He managed to replicate it and narrow it down to the front. Bizarrely the front end was not vibrating at all which is why I failed to work out what it was myself.

Birdylegs
27-10-13, 07:55 PM
Bikes fine 2stroke shake a bit ty (just ordered a motocross suite and boots saves riding around in jeans and trainers) just worried about wear on Tyre before never through about how balance would change with wear

Mal103
27-10-13, 08:08 PM
I've just had one of mine done at Carson in Melksham, assumed they would balance it but didn't ask...
There was already a lead weight on the rim so it must have been done at some point, i've only owned it for a short time so not sure of it's history.

Conehead
27-10-13, 09:04 PM
I am shocked to hear this , surely it would be a legal requirement as it is very dangerous especially on a bike for an unbalanced tyre. What if it was a complete noob, they wouldnt have stood a chance at speed.

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home.

Conehead
27-10-13, 09:04 PM
I am shocked to hear this , surely it would be a legal requirement as it is very dangerous especially on a bike for an unbalanced tyre. What if it was a complete noob, they wouldnt have stood a chance at speed.

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home. Is it easy?

wheelers
27-10-13, 09:45 PM
we get ours done at Melksham tyres, Shawn allways balances never a problem

Wes
28-10-13, 05:58 PM
Its not too difficult mate, basically its a static balancer, the same type as they use at bsb etc, the wheel is locked into position on the bar via 2 cone shape fittings, this is then placed onto the frame, which has 2 rollers to allow the wheel free spin.
You let the wheel find its own balance after removing any existing weights, and the heaviest part will settle at the bottom, once i have found this, i mark the tyre directly opposite the heavy side at the top at the lightest point, you can then begin to add your weights here, spinning the wheel slowly until i find that wherever i place the wheel in rotation, it stays still, thus balanced :)
Also if you find yourself with a few weights, they can be added to both sides of the rim, hope this explains it, cheers Wes

Brizzer
28-10-13, 06:07 PM
Bikes fine 2stroke shake a bit ty (just ordered a motocross suite and boots saves riding around in jeans and trainers) just worried about wear on Tyre before never through about how balance would change with wear

why not buy some motorbike gear instead of motocross gear :confused: aprilla rs125 with mx kit on good luck trying to change gear on it with mx boots on

Birdylegs
28-10-13, 06:17 PM
why not buy some motorbike gear instead of motocross gear :confused: aprilla rs125 with mx kit on good luck trying to change gear on it with mx boots on

I'll see what it's like was a late night offer by g/f looked smart and half price ordered of internet still getting elbow and knee guards extra boots hoped they would be user friendly I'll phone them up tomorrow ty

Brizzer
28-10-13, 06:32 PM
I'll see what it's like was a late night offer by g/f looked smart and half price ordered of internet still getting elbow and knee guards extra boots hoped they would be user friendly I'll phone them up tomorrow ty

mx boots are nothing like motorbike boots they are bulky even the top boots like Alpinestar tech10 are bulky and take a bit of getting used to for people that aren't used to wearing them and the gear dosent really offer any protection if you did come off unless your thinking of taking your aprilla off road, I mite know someone that has some gear you can have I will pm you if he still has it

Marmalade
29-10-13, 08:14 AM

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home. Is it easy?

It's not at all dangerous, just causes vibration. Maybe a complete novice might get the wind up them if it vibrates a bit but then shouldn't be going that fast if they are so nervous.

The six and a half sets I've had fitted this year have all been balanced and they were done at 3 different places. I expect a new valve and balancing as a matter of course with new tyres.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Wes
03-11-13, 03:41 PM
Managed to get out early for a bit of a test since balancing the wheel, and success! ive lost all that nasty front end vibration, to the point of its like a different bike, even at rapid bat, the mirrors are hardly moving at all, compared with how it was before, when it got so bad that the fluid reservoir bracket (alum) broke in two!! well pleased with that one :)