PDA

View Full Version : headlight problem

simongpz
25-10-13, 08:54 PM
hello all I have something stange going on with the headlight on my 1991 Suzuki gsx750f as soon as I switch the ignition on the headlight main bulb comes on with the headlight switch in the off position but only the headlight no tail light or clock lights and the headlight will also switch between high and low beam with the light switch off
with the head light switch on everything works as normal it seems like the high/dip switch is connected direct to the ignition but the wiring all looks ok and unmessed with
has enyone had similar problems with a Suzuki or any ideas whats wrong and will this cause a problem with an mot

Hondafan
25-10-13, 09:58 PM
Sounds like the relay is sticking.

Somewhere there will be a relay that uses the low amperage feed from the switch to turn on a higher amperage feed to the bulb.
The relay will probably be a small black box about an inch square with 4/5 connectors on it.
Pull the relay out of the connector and the light should go out.
The relay might be near the battery/ fusebox or near the headlamp.

Simple and cheap to fix, once you have found it.

Conehead
25-10-13, 10:08 PM
I had a weird light problem but managed to fix it by wire brushing the terminals that had rust on followed by some WD40. Try having a look at the terminals.

simongpz
25-10-13, 10:47 PM
thanks for the info will have a look tomorrow and see if it sorts the problem ive got a week till the mot so hopefully will sort by will keep you posted

wheelers
26-10-13, 09:44 AM
could be moisture got in the switch on the bars and put some corrosion on contacts..
funny how it allways happens before the mot ..

simongpz
26-10-13, 09:57 PM
all fixed now took fuel tank off and noticed clutch cable had trapped part of the wiring against top of engine causing damage to wiring a quick repair and all sorted thanks for all the advice

Conehead
26-10-13, 10:12 PM
Good to hear it was a quick fix. Well spotted.

simongpz
26-10-13, 11:21 PM
it had me stumped for most of the day but as soon as I took the tank off I could see what the problem was
anyway thanks for the advice people