PDA

View Full Version : removing baffles - The Law!

Dan505
23-10-13, 10:16 AM
Hi,

Is it legal to remove the baffles from an exhaust (removable type) and use on the road?

If so why did I see a policeman yesterday tell a biker that as his had been removed it automatically made it a 'race' can and not fit for road use. I thought it had to be stamped 'not for road' for this to apply?

also apart from the increase in noise is there any other point/benefit for taking them out?

[stuck mine back in this morning just in case!]

wiltshire builders
23-10-13, 11:24 AM
No it's not legal is the short answer.

Uber Dave
23-10-13, 04:47 PM
As far as I know the E mark only applies when the baffle is in. Which is stupid as the baffle for my can doesnt make much difference unless its up high in the rev range.

Without the baffle the E Mark is not applicable, therefore becomes "Not for road use"

WR6133
23-10-13, 05:26 PM
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2370/contents/made

I only skim read it but from I understood the law relates to modifying the exhaust so it could be argued that if the baffle was fixed it stays put. If it is removable then would removing it be a modification or would it simply be using it one way that was intended? I think it's ambiguous enough you could argue but the axe may fall either way.

Also I think there is a Euro law restricting machines over 175cc to 82Db..... not sure if that applies here if it does it would override the above.

Swanny
23-10-13, 06:09 PM
Do harleys have baffles??

wiltshire builders
23-10-13, 06:35 PM
the baffle for my can doesnt make much difference unless its up high in the rev range.

Which is when the can would otherwise be too loud for road use.
Only a real jobs worth would do you for it.

Vtwins like Harley's sound loud at low revs but don't get much louder.
Inline fours , especially sports bikes, make all their power therefore their noise at the high end of the rev range.
I always ride loud and only been done once but I was stopped for something else in the first place.

8_ball
23-10-13, 07:03 PM
speaking to a mot man on this supject every year because there is a few changes that will come into effect over the next year or two.
If it states on the can 'not for road use' a sticker can be placed over the can or it can be removed ???? and is road legal.
the same applies to 'for race use only'.
my bike is ear splitting and have never been pulled as of yet by the old bill, however, no doubt in time the day will come.
DVLA also do road side checks for noise levels also which would and does cause even factory cans issues.

But I simply stick my finger in the air and say '&%@# off', its a well known fact that 'loud pipes do save lives' and I for one will never have a bike that has a factory or none chopped can.

performance ,....this is debatable and is different from bike to bike a remap or carb tune is normally in order and there is always a compromise, none baffled pipes or race cans are designed for flat out use not slow 'about town performance'

but hey thats my view and experience, take them out and if you dont like it pop them back in ??? simple

Uber Dave
23-10-13, 09:38 PM
Which is when the can would otherwise be too loud for road use.
Only a real jobs worth would do you for it.

To be honest, anything up that high in the rev range in 2nd or above and I am loosing my licence if I am pulled, so the amount of noise it was making is not really an issue.

XJ
24-10-13, 08:48 AM
http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_710.htm

MayallRob
04-12-13, 07:11 PM
I've just bought a new exhaust for my bike and plan on fitting it this weekend. When I ordered it I got excited thinking "ooh, I'll finally have a loud bike like everyone else", but when it arrived yesterday I was a little surprised at how big it is. I think it may be a bit too loud, but time will tell...

I've got a removable baffle with it, but its very fiddly to fit; I think I'll have to either leave the baffle in or leave it out. We'll find out this weekend where the baffle will be kept... in the exhaust, or in the garage.

wiltshire builders
04-12-13, 08:32 PM
I've just bought a new exhaust for my bike and plan on fitting it this weekend. When I ordered it I got excited thinking "ooh, I'll finally have a loud bike like everyone else", but when it arrived yesterday I was a little surprised at how big it is. I think it may be a bit too loud, but time will tell...

I've got a removable baffle with it, but its very fiddly to fit; I think I'll have to either leave the baffle in or leave it out. We'll find out this weekend where the baffle will be kept... in the exhaust, or in the garage.

What did you get? and what are you fitting it to?

MayallRob
07-12-13, 11:25 PM
I bought a Delkevic Mini 8" 200mm slip-on for my Kawasaki ER-5 (link: http://www.delkevic.co.uk/?section=shop&bike_manufacturer=kawasaki&bike_model=er5_19962007&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_hl3s5&product=200mm_stainless_steel_round_silencers&variant=er5_er500_1996-2007_3209)

I needed a new one as the stock exhaust has rusted through and makes a horrible whistling noise in colder weather, and this is the only one I've seen for an ER-5 that wasn't stupidly expensive (the only other make being a Fuel exhaust, which were slightly more expensive and didn't look as good in my opinion).