PDA

View Full Version : new person thats needs a bit of advice

Helliewhizz
06-09-13, 02:22 PM
Ok .... just moved down this way and got myself a nice new job in swindon. Now the drive in is a pain to say the least and the parking fees are crippling, so I have always fancied getting my bike licence and this seems the perfect excuse ... so now I am going to pick your brains....

I live Close to Avebury, where would people recommend as a centre to train and should I get my CBT and then a Learner legal bike and ride that for a while or go full out for the DA ( I am way over 24yrs .... hold a full car licence ).

Thinking of a bike .... Are there reputable dealers or if I go private sale is there anyone who would be willing ( paid of course) to give the bike a once over as I wouldn't have a clue. Talking of which where would I learn some of the basics ... can do my car but no idea of bikes.

well that's introduced me ... Woman with no idea lol

any information is great and thankfully received from all you knowledgeable ones ... x :)

Nelly
06-09-13, 02:59 PM
Hello Hellie and welcome along. Many of the forum members speak highly of Mr Mark Able (http://www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk/)
Have a word with him. While you are learning a bike is provided. Dealers locally are Phoenix Trowbridge, & Blades of Swindon. However, if you see something privately, im fairly sure someone will be willing to go along with you.

Last Train
06-09-13, 06:20 PM
Evenin :)

Many of the forum members speak highly of Mr Mark Able (http://www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk/)
Have a word with him. While you are learning a bike is provided. Dealers locally are Phoenix Trowbridge, & Blades of Swindon. However, if you see something privately, im fairly sure someone will be willing to go along with you.

and http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Swanny
06-09-13, 08:28 PM
Hello Hellie :cool:

Toph
06-09-13, 09:45 PM
Evening Hellie, welcome to Wiltshire Bikers!

BB
06-09-13, 09:56 PM
Hi and welcome. :cool: Have a chat with Able and see if you try out or at least sit on some bikes to see which feels comfortable

Conehead
06-09-13, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the group.

Bonnielass
07-09-13, 09:01 AM
Hello and welcome:)

I can highly recommend Mark Able, he taught me and quite a few others on here. Having said that, there are quite a few on here from Swindon and could probably recommend someone nearer you, depends whether you mind coming to Trowbridge! Mark is a good bloke though, and definitely worth the journey!

As for your first bike, best to try lots of bike as see what fits! :) Good luck in your learning journey! :)

Vulcanboy
07-09-13, 07:39 PM
Hi, and welcome to WB ... good luck with your riding. Why don't you pop along to our bike meet at the Harp & Crown, Gastard, nr Chippenham, and have a chat with some of the ladies there .... It's a v friendly group, and you will get sound advice. PS. .. some members turn up in cars when their bikes are out of action or it's raining! We meet at 6 pm onwards each Wed evening.:rolleyes: Richard

matthews677
07-09-13, 08:58 PM
hello and welcome

Birdylegs
07-09-13, 09:05 PM
Hi im from swindon theres a place at blunston stadium they let you have a hour training free for cbt it called a van van the bike you use there if you do full test you can ride any cc but if you do a cbt its 125 or smaller expect cheeper insurance. Theres a big diffrence in bikes but the driving is the same ish. If you buy second hand ask for it to be booked in a garage that day to let you know what could be wrong with it they might miss somethings expect to have a few hundred £ in case somthing gos wrong with any bike water might get in somthing or a pot hole could do something wrong.the best advice i can give it get some good outfit case you do come off. Good luck (and breath when reading my comments my grammer ant not no good ) full stop ....

Helliewhizz
10-09-13, 11:38 AM
Many thanks ... Will come and say hello .. Would love to meet you all

Helliewhizz
10-09-13, 11:39 AM
Hey thanks for all the advice and for.your kind PM as well.
X

Goldie
10-09-13, 04:04 PM
Hi :)

Mark taught me ...if he can do that, he can do anything.. :)

Kopite
10-09-13, 05:07 PM
Hello and welcome.

Annie
10-09-13, 06:03 PM
Hi ya.
I'm from Swindon and have held my licence for many, many, cough, cough years.
However I would highly recommend Abbey Training at Blunsdon Stadium, also, Motovation at Lynham. Both can be found on line, I believe.
Hope all goes well for you.
Ride safe.

Senna(Dan)
10-09-13, 08:49 PM
Hello and welcome Hellie,

As there are loads of training schools about it is a minefield. I managed to get my better halfs CBT for £49 via Groupon, so that might be worth a look.
She took it with the guys at Mega Motorcycle Store and then decided to take her full test.
My advice would be to do your CBT and see if you enjoy it that much that you want that bit more power, you could always stick to the 125 licence if that is what you feel comfortable on.
If you get on with it like a house on fire then bite the bullet and take the big test, loads of bikes out there for 125 money at the moment and there are plenty of members out there who are more than handy around their bikes.

If you find anything nearer Carterton give me a shout and I will happily come and check it over, test ride it and tell you whether it is worth buying.

Jed
15-09-13, 08:10 PM
Hello and welcome to the group

shane21
19-09-13, 06:30 PM
Hello and welcome