PDA

View Full Version : Resons for crash's

Birdylegs
03-09-13, 07:13 PM
Iv had a few close call's by being in trafic and not being able to see a few cars in front indicators for a warning that there going stop i been wiggling around on my lane to see if the car in front is stoping or just slowing down hope everyone leaves plenty of room for braking drive safely everone (this might not be the right place for this msg sorry)

Brizzer
03-09-13, 08:41 PM
erm yes , last time I was out you where riding close to the kerb, perhaps try be more centre or jus right of centre for a escape route, and pay attention when riding :p and I don't think I have ever nearly hit the bak of a car , sometimes find it hard to stop when approaching roundabouts and that's why am thinking of trying to source the 6 pot hyabusa calipers ;)

Uber Dave
03-09-13, 09:11 PM
What kind of roads are we talking? Single carriageway?

Like Brizzer said, have an escape route. If you are on single carriageway ride central to the car in front or where its right hand set of wheels are (gives you chance to bale to the right if you need to) and also should give you better vision of the road in front.

Dual carriageway is different and everyone I speak to has a different way of doing it.

My best bit of advice would be to get out with more experienced riders, its the best way to learn by watching someone else do it!

wiltshire builders
04-09-13, 12:07 PM
Iv had a few close call's by being in trafic and not being able to see a few cars in front indicators for a warning that there going stop i been wiggling around on my lane to see if the car in front is stoping or just slowing down hope everyone leaves plenty of room for braking drive safely everone (this might not be the right place for this msg sorry)

It's good that you've realised there's a problem what you now need to realise is what's causing it. (it's you!)
From what you've described I think you seriously need to undertake some advanced rider training before it's too late.

Not hitting traffic that's moving in the same direction as you is a basic riding skill.
All good riding starts with observation. There are so many more clues that a car is going to stop than just the rear lights.

Have a chat with some of the advanced riders on here or give Bikesafe a call and find out when their next workshop is.

Ride safe!

Conehead
04-09-13, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you are not riding to the conditions and also too close. Back off a bit and see it it changes.

Its also worth improving skills as Wiltshire Builders says.

Good luck.

Trev
04-09-13, 05:34 PM
IAM riding and police riders teach not sitting right of centre but changing position across the road based on best view, hazards, road surface, etc. Sometime extreme left is the correct position to be in to give best view prior to moving to overtaking position when you can see an overtake is on. Also moving across the road width rather than staying fixed in 'two thirds' position does reduce the risk of drivers missing you in blind spot and the movement.
Like most say, get some advance riding training, you'll enjoy it as well as learn some skills that may save your (or someone else's) life.

shiftyblake
05-09-13, 09:01 AM
I would say that through your observation you should be aware that there is a left or right turning, pull in, drive way and should expect a car to make a turn into these. So you ride being able to stop knowing that the car in front can make a sudden turn. If you are relying on seeing an indicator you may well get caught out by somebody not indicating or leaving one on. A car indicating means nothing more than his bulb works !
So in summary, work the lane to observe the environment, turnings and signage as much as watching the cars for indicators. As a note I worked for Honda and had to have MAC advanced training every year to allow me to ride, covering 75 miles each way to work in Slough from Calne in rush hour.