PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Conehead
01-09-13, 10:05 PM
This has been playing on my mind all afternoon and was wondering what you would have done.

I took my kids to the park and on leaving I noticed two bikes in the new bike park section that has loose stones as a base.

One of the bikes (Triumph triple) had its side stand buried about an inch but looked stable. The other, a Honda (think old CBR) was on its side. From walking past you could see the side stand had sunk tipping the bike over.

What would you have done? I did nothing as I was worried the owners would see me and think I pushed it over, trying to steal it, etc. I feel bad for just leaving it but did not want to start getting into blame games, etc..

Swanny
01-09-13, 10:51 PM
I'd have picked it up but I don't think you did anything wrong. It wasn't your fault, it just happened that's all

Nokesy
01-09-13, 11:20 PM
I would have thought exactly the same things as you and therefore done the same. Stupid base for a bike park tho!!!!!

Uber Dave
02-09-13, 11:01 AM
I wouldnt have touched them, just in case I was blamed for it!

Birdylegs
02-09-13, 12:53 PM
It might have just fallen over again if you put it back could have stand problems i would left it or looked for owner if i had time if you picked it up you would have had to hold it till owner gets back if you found it had fallen on stand and bent it

Goldie
02-09-13, 02:33 PM
Had something similar at Weston bike meet few weeks ago - the bike my other half pulled up next to was sinking into the ground and was leaning towards his. He squished a coke can up and stuck it under the bikes stand after he picked it up. It's a tough call, not sure i'd have risked moving it for the same reasons as others have stated. *shrugs* (he only moved it because it would've landed on his bike if it went all the way over...)

Conehead
02-09-13, 03:27 PM
I would have done the same Goldie if it was in the process of falling over. Glad most of you agree with me. It is **** that we are too scared to help each other because of other peoples actions in the past.

8_ball
02-09-13, 06:16 PM
I carry a phone like most of us and you can take a photo of the bike down and then pick the thing up !!!!!! just to cover your arse.... If Id of picked it up and some bloke started barking id just push the bike back over. I would thank someone if they picked my bike up and a big hole in the ground would be a good indication that it has fallen.

Birdylegs
03-09-13, 09:04 PM
Id have taken pic posted it on here and lmfao if i could have found him/her he could have had a few quotes like it not mine its my brothers / best mates would somthing like that make it turn to flames in a worst case senorieo

MayallRob
04-09-13, 03:24 PM
Picking it up wont reverse the damage that's already done, so I would have just left it for the owner to pick up. If you pick it up you risk the same thing happening to it again and doing more damage, which I don't think the owner would appreciate :/

WR6133
04-09-13, 03:48 PM
I would have left it. I've been riding for all of 5 minutes and have the sense to take a squashed can in my panniers (specifically for parking in spots like that) so I wouldn't bother with the possible aggro from picking up someone elses bike when I think it was their own fault.

SupeRDel
05-09-13, 08:13 AM
Its a Honda, why worry!

Conehead
05-09-13, 07:39 PM
Its a Honda, why worry!

:D

redken1
07-09-13, 08:04 PM
I’m not judging anyone else and understand the reasons why others would deal with the situation differently from me, but I can honestly say that I would have taken the risk and lifted up the fallen bike and found a more secure footing for the side stand. And the same for the other upright bike. I believe that I cannot expect society to change and become more caring and less selfish, if I’m not prepared to stick my neck-out and take an active role in bringing about that change myself. Has got me into trouble in the past, I must admit.

redken1
07-09-13, 08:06 PM
I’m not judging anyone else and understand the reasons why others would deal with the situation differently from me, but I can honestly say that I would have taken the risk and lifted up the fallen bike and found amore secure footing for the side stand. And the same for the other upright bike. I believe that I cannot expect society to change and become more caring and less selfish, if I’m not prepared to stick my neck-out and take an active role in bringing about that change myself. Has got me into trouble in the past, I must admit. Sorry mods posted twice and can't seem to delete one -

Morticia
24-09-13, 08:15 PM
I'd have picked it up but I don't think you did anything wrong. It wasn't your fault, it just happened that's all

+1

Annie
25-09-13, 07:20 AM
I too would of took the chance and picked it up, perhaps left a note on it. I would like to think that someone would do the same for me....

MelkshamKwak
25-09-13, 07:26 AM
I would have picked it up and tried to move it somewhere safer.

Kevinb
25-09-13, 08:41 AM
Unless it was leaking fuel (being close to a kids play area) I would have left it as picking it up you may cause more damage e.g. slipping and dropping it again.
Last year my bike dug in and fell over luckily on grass & no damage, but we did think what would have happened if it had been parked next to one or more bikes. A message came over the tannoy at the event so we legged it back to the bike.