PDA

View Full Version : Changing headlight bulbs for a higher wattage

badbreed
22-08-13, 01:44 PM
Hey all,

On my SV650s the headlights are terrible in the dark, might be due to the fact that they are only 45/45w H4 bulbs.
I'm thinking about fitting some 60/55w H4 halogen bulbs.

Anyone know if this would cause any issues with my wiring or damage to the bike because of me using a higher wattage bulb.

The manual states that 45/45w should be used but they just aint good enough for the coming winter months.

Birdylegs
22-08-13, 02:44 PM
Been looking into that myself only a lack of funds stops me from answering but theres kits to upgrade http://www.hids4u.co.uk/twin-headlight-motorcycle-hid-xenon-conversion-kits/

Jon_W
22-08-13, 02:54 PM
I'm suprised to hear that. The lights on my Sv are great!

You'd need to see what current the wiring and relays are rated for. Usually they allow a bit of head room on the sizes, but better check. Look up the relay part number, see if you can find a wattage and measure / look for the wire size.

Uber Dave
22-08-13, 03:28 PM
HIDs are now an instant MOT fail on vehicles without projector houses and they need auto washer jets on them too to clear much off them by law. Which is why NO bikes are fitted with them. Get caught by the police with them as well and you will get nailed!

Higher WATT bulbs, I would be careful, I have seen a number of the plastic lens's which have gone milky or full on melted as a result of the higher heat generated by higher power bulbs.

Bike lights are shocking generally from my experience, all the bikes I have riden in the dark have not been that great.

There are different makes however and taking the bulbs in my car, I changed them from OEM Bosch bulbs (60/55W) to Osram Night Breaker + (60/55w) and they are more powerfull. Another alternative were Philips Diamond White/Vision which were also highly recommended on forums but cost more. It may be worth researching other alternative 45/45 bulbs you could try.

919honda
22-08-13, 03:36 PM
HIDs are now an instant MOT fail on vehicles without projector houses and they need auto washer jets on them too to clear much off them by law. Which is why NO bikes are fitted with them. Get caught by the police with them as well and you will get nailed!

Higher WATT bulbs, I would be careful, I have seen a number of the plastic lens's which have gone milky or full on melted as a result of the higher heat generated by higher power bulbs.

Bike lights are shocking generally from my experience, all the bikes I have riden in the dark have not been that great.

There are different makes however and taking the bulbs in my car, I changed them from OEM Bosch bulbs (60/55W) to Osram Night Breaker + (60/55w) and they are more powerfull. Another alternative were Philips Diamond White/Vision which were also highly recommended on forums but cost more. It may be worth researching other alternative 45/45 bulbs you could try.

I agree with Dave, if the manual specifies a certain rating, then that's what the electrics ( wiring , generator ) have been designed to run with !!!

badbreed
22-08-13, 05:02 PM
Cheers folks, I've been looking for 45/45 bulbs and they seem to be like gold dust unless you buy from some Chinese company on eBay.
Following the manufactures advice is the correct way to go, I agree.
I'll keep hunting around and see if I can find any.

Jon - what year is your sv, think after 03 they changed up to 60/55.

919honda
22-08-13, 05:10 PM
Cheers folks, I've been looking for 45/45 bulbs and they seem to be like gold dust unless you buy from some Chinese company on eBay.

wow your right , they seem rare as rocking horse poop , I had a look for you and found this, uk seller , £4.77p each

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-Headlight-Bulb-P43T-12V-45-45W-/380685690048?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item58a2a2a4c0

badbreed
23-08-13, 09:31 PM
cheers 919honda,

think these are what i have in the bike.
i'm still looking for some that maybe give out 80% more light or something like that.

or i'll just stick with what i've got and not ride on the 419 or any other pitch black roads at night. lol

Uber Dave
24-08-13, 09:33 AM
May be worth looking on SV forums and see what others have done.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Rabb
07-09-13, 08:25 PM
I up-rated my headlights on my GSXR without any problems.
Try Halfords - mine are 55W super high Carlos fandango brilliance
- Expensive but, safe for my plastic lenses! They do give out a lot of heat but have not affected the lenses and are good in the winter.
Do your research though - these are classed as " safe for plastic " lenses!

Gooz
08-09-13, 05:58 PM
Buy yourself a nice pair of ex mod nightvision goggles !!!! great in the dark hten when your wrapped up all nice and toastie warm you can go off dogging............ pmsl :)

Rabb
08-09-13, 11:04 PM
Buy yourself a nice pair of ex mod nightvision goggles !!!! great in the dark hten when your wrapped up all nice and toastie warm you can go off dogging............ pmsl :)

:-) :-) :-)

Mal103
26-12-13, 11:50 AM
My 55/60 bulb went the other day so replaced it with an 80/90, fantastic difference and can now see the road. I'm willing to risk it so long as I can see the mud and leaves all over our roads!

Senna(Dan)
31-12-13, 06:13 AM
The bulbs on all my vehicles have been changed to Bosch.
I can get them at trade price and the amount I saved was ridiculous, the improvement on the bikes was by far the best and they are the same rating as the ones I already have.
As Rabb said check for plastic lense usage, mine are both glass so I could probably get away with something that kicks out more heat.

Flying Half-Dutchman
31-12-13, 04:42 PM
I uprated the bulbs in my old FZR600 from 35/35W to 60/55W bulbs several years ago with no ill effects - so far (I ignored al the warnings that my switchgear would melt! (It didn't)).

Jon_W
02-01-14, 10:44 AM

Mines a K2 (2002). Some of the early ones (X or Y's) had single beam headlights. These can be told apart by the different pattterns between the left and right lenses. These have a terrible reputation, so were quickly changed to the twin dip/main units.

badbreed
15-01-14, 04:40 PM
I changed them to 60/55 and adjusted the headlight angle. Wow. It's like a different bike now in the dark.
Cheers for the advice peeps