PDA

View Full Version : top speed gixer

Brizzer
06-08-13, 08:25 PM
rite I was out the other day on a private road of course and thought I would try get top speed out my 600 and was disappointed with the results as it was slowly climbing at 135 and seemed to struggle to climb, now would I be correct in thinking that it could be a clutch needing replaced or could it be anything else or is there a simple way to check without taking the plates out ?

Hondafan
06-08-13, 10:03 PM
\If the clutch wasn't slipping it will make no difference to the top speed.

How old is the bike?

Have the basics been checked?
Air filter, plugs etc?

What speed were you expecting?

Uber Dave
07-08-13, 11:39 AM
What age is it, when was its last service etc. Also what screen have you got and how big/heavy are you!

Reason I ask the last question is that on the runway at work a year or so ago on my R6, I got to about 170 and then despite being in the middle of its power band it just refused to accelerate any more as a result of the wind resistance on my shoulders etc which were sticking into the air flow. I reckon if I stuck someone smaller and lighter on it it would have easily pushed higher as there were still a good 5500rpm left to the red line in 6th.

Rabb
08-08-13, 11:07 AM
600's rely more on aerodynamics to be able to achieve their quoted top speeds.
This means that you would have to have your chest lying flat across the top of the fuel tank to avoid wind resistance.
It might also be the case that you are short-shifting the gears i.e. Not reaching high enough revs in each gear.
If you are into top gear too early, acceleration in that gear will be minimal at that speed.

Word of warning - Only do this on a track day !

Brizzer
08-08-13, 10:43 PM
ubber dave, the bikes a k3 its had a oil/filter and air filter (pipercross) changed when I got it around 300 miles ago and I have a double bubble screen and a full micron exhuast, like rabb said I think I shifted to early as it managed 150 today when I held it in 5th a bit longer , Honda dan I was expecting at least 150 out a 600 sport, bearing in mind it is a old bike and am 16 ish stone.