PDA

View Full Version : Getting a test ride after having a restricted (A2) license?

lolliver
05-08-13, 08:56 AM
Hi WB!

I've currently got an A2 license, which is the one which requires you to ride a restricted bike for two years. My restriction's just about to come off next month and I was hoping to test ride some bikes and see which one I fancy.

I went to Fowlers in Bristol yesterday and discussed a test ride with a bloke there and he told me that I need to have held a full license for a year before I'm allowed to test ride anything, is this common all over the place?

If this is the norm, how did the other people with the A2 license test their bikes before they bought 'em?

Cheers

Lolliver

Jon_W
05-08-13, 09:35 AM
I bought privately... no problems there....

... apart from the sv which I didn't test ride.

Ducatista
05-08-13, 11:14 AM
I bought privately... no problems there....

You mean they let you test ride the bike? What deposit did they ask for?
I'd want full asking price or similar e.g. leave your own bike/car of similar value with proof it's yours e.g. V5.
Most people wont just let you ride off on their bike these days.
How did you get insurance? Are you insured for other vehicles (that's not universal so needs checking) or did you buy temporary insurance.

lolliver
05-08-13, 12:19 PM
I was hoping to get the bike brand new, which was why I was hoping to test ride it first. But I guess I could just go and look at a few private ones first and hope that they'll let me test ride it =]

Seems stupid not to consider the restricted license as a "full license".. I'm gunna ring around a few bike shops and see if this is the standard thing or if it's just Fowlers being over-cautious.

Ducatista
05-08-13, 12:45 PM
I could just go and look at a few private ones first and hope that they'll let me test ride it

Most people won't just let you ride off with their bike (you could just steal it).
They usually have some requirements in that regard. Sometimes that's leaving full asking price, other times they might be happy for you to leave your car/bike there).
You would need insurance, so check your policy. You MAY be allowed to ried other bikes 3rd party but you need to check your policy as it's not universal any more.
You might be able to get a temporary insurance for one day, but these tend to be restricted on age (and possibly time licence held).

It won't be Fowlers being over-cautious it'll be down to the terms and conditions of their insurance.

lolliver
05-08-13, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Ducatista! Didn't even consider that I'd need to sort out insurance for a private test ride..

Whilst the thread's open anyway, anyone got any opinion on the recent Triumph Sprints? that's what I'm considering going for

Jon_W
05-08-13, 01:32 PM
I just ask to ride it..... never been asked for a "deposit " or questioned about my lisence.

Prehaps it's my boyish good looks and charm????

Have a chat with a few dealers, all have different policies and one may let you ride, but you may have to travel for the pleasure. Also talk to Truimph direct, they may know of an event or dealer on private grounds.

Ducatista
05-08-13, 03:18 PM
Didn't even consider that I'd need to sort out insurance for a private test ride..

Yes, it's a legal requirement to have 3rd party insurance on the public road.
It used to be fairly common for all policies to have a clause that you could drive other vehicles 3rd party.
However this has been quietly withdrawn so it's not universal anymore, so anyone relying on that clause needs to make sure they are covered for it.
I believe it's been withdrawn because it was open to abuse - so it was intended that you could drive your mates car if he/she was ill, not so that you can buy insurance for a corsa and then drive a Ferrari.
A case of a few spoiling it for everyone else.

If you get stuck then I'd get in touch with the manufacturer. They can't expect customers to buy their bikes if they can't test ride them.