PDA

View Full Version : Car Air Con Servicing

bobf279
29-07-13, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know of a good place to get the air con on my 07 Vauxhall Vectra serviced/repaired. I had it done at Halfords while on holiday but it only lasted a week so I suspect a leak. It is a bit of a trek to the nearest Halfords Autocentre from Westbury so was looking for somewhere a bit more local. Thanks in advance

Birdylegs
29-07-13, 10:27 AM
Call AA or Rac and ask them only know Swindon sorry.

QB1
29-07-13, 11:18 AM
Alan Petrie in Westbury do air con. Mines due in this week for a service and air con check/re-gas.

bobf279
29-07-13, 03:10 PM
Many thanks, is your air con working and just need a check or does it need repair?

Goldie
29-07-13, 05:12 PM
had mine done at kwik fit

QB1
29-07-13, 05:26 PM
Many thanks, is your air con working and just need a check or does it need repair?

Yes its working fine but I've asked them to check it/re-gas it if necessary when the car is in for its annual service as I like to get it done once a year.

I assume they have all of the necessary equipment to repair an air con system as they offer a re-gassing service?

I do find them very good been going there for a couple of years.

Hondafan
29-07-13, 06:50 PM
had mine done at Turnpike Garage just outside Melksham

£30 all done.

Question.
Did your previous repairer put any die in the system?
If they did it would help find any leaks.

Check the Condenser, (in front of the radiator) for stone damage,

Red Zed 1
29-07-13, 11:28 PM
i work at skurrays in marlborough,most cars we see with a/c not working are due to damaged/leaking condenser(bit exposed at the front of car)but dye should show where leak is,if no leak suspect faulty compressor/clutch stuck/seized..

bobf279
29-07-13, 11:59 PM
Yes, Halfords did put dye in the system, it worked fine for a few days then stopped cooling so I suspect there is a leak

Ducatista
30-07-13, 11:23 AM
I've been recomended to use this place by a colleague who's used them for many years.
Haven't been there myself yet, but our air con is booked in for August.

http://www.tandamotors.co.uk/

bobf279
30-07-13, 11:37 AM
Thanks, I may give them a go

Hondafan
30-07-13, 04:44 PM
Another garage should be able to use a UV light and see where the leak is, saving them time and you money :)

Hondafan
30-07-13, 04:45 PM
Yes, Halfords did put dye in the system, it worked fine for a few days then stopped cooling so I suspect there is a leak

Another garage should be able to use a UV light and see where the leak is, saving them time and you money :)

silly_simon
03-09-13, 08:46 PM
Might be a bit late but for anyone else in the same position try these people

http://harveysautotech.co.uk/

£35 for a regas with a vacum test aswell

Vulcanboy
07-09-13, 08:30 PM
Hmmmm!

Some thoughts! If you have a fast leak, you will need to replace a major component (£500 in my old Scorpio, £1000+ in my BMW 730i, or a Lexus GS300): this is for a new compressor, evaporator or whatever. If it is a slow leak, you can try the Halfords DIY kit, which is £25 for a gauge and £25 for the Gas. It worked for me! A garage won't recharge your car if there is a leak, but you will still be charged £25 to £50 for the service. Once you have recharged the car you must use the aircon at least for 1 hour each month or the seals will dry out and the aircon fluid will leak out. Hopefully, the low pressure sensor will STOP the aircon system immediately, or else you will need a new compressor (£500 to £2000). Richard

Red Zed 1
07-09-13, 11:23 PM
just to update on vulcanboy post..if a major leak then the receiver/dryer would also need replacing as well as the faulty component..this takes moisture out of refrigerant and the dryer can become saturated very quickly when exposed to excess levels of moisture during a major/fast leak..i have found that the system needs to be charged in order to locate a leak unless of course a previous dye application shows the leak..once leak found the refrigerant is then removed again,most garages i know of dont charge for this part of the service as they hope to benefit from the repair..

Ducatista
08-09-13, 09:43 AM
Had both our cars serviced by T&A in August.
They are very pragmatic so much cheaper than going to a main dealer but will get a proper job done.
Would have no hesitation in recommending them.