PDA

View Full Version : Non-starter 250 V-Twin - Help please

Dan505
09-07-13, 07:25 PM
Hi,

Bike won't start off ignition button and when bumped idles at 3K, but can hunt when accelerating. Have checked the following and all tested ok
Coil packs
Injectors
air sensor on throttle body
battery
sensor on air box
spark plugs
HT leads
valve clearance (all within spec)

compression on front cylinder is 120, rear is 110. Service limit is 146 so i know it is low. Cam chain tensioner is slack on the spring (ordered, waiting to fit). after pushing it home tonight for 3 miles I need to sort it. could this be an earth fault?

Any help/tips (yes it has fuel) very much appreciated as it very nearly got rolled into a ditch tonight.......

Hondafan
09-07-13, 09:31 PM
Have you got a spark WHILE it is cranking over on the button?
?

Dan505
10-07-13, 06:54 AM
Yeah it sparks off the button, started stripping it last but nothing looks amiss so far

Dan505
12-07-13, 12:37 PM
no one got any ideas?

Hondafan
12-07-13, 12:56 PM
If it is fuel injected and hunts when it does start I would check for

An Air leak into the inlet, allowing unmetered air past the throttle body.
there should be a crank and or cam position sensor which tells the ECU the engine speed and position to decide the correct time to inject and spark.

If one of these is faulty or is not getting a good connection you will get all sorts of running issues.

Is there a side stand switch to prevent the engine starting with the stand down?

Check the switch and any connections to the switch for corrosion etc.

Where is the bike and exactly what make/model is it?

Mark

Dan505
12-07-13, 01:03 PM
side stand switch removed last year, i'll check the inlet, do you mean between air filter and throttle body?

its a GT250R EFI

Hondafan
12-07-13, 01:37 PM
leak will be between the throttle body and the engine.
This will allow ait into the engine that the engine hasn't measured or accounted for.

There might be flanges where the inlet tract bolts to the head, these are sometimes rubber which is bonded to a metal piece which the bolts pass through.
The bonding can give out in time allowing the rubber inlet to become detached and let air in.

When you removed the side stand switch , what did you do with the wiring?
Has it corroded?

I had a bike where the wiring to the SS switch was under the engine and completely open to muck off the road.

If you can get it running, try spraying WD40 or similar around the inlets, see if this makes a difference to the running.

Dan505
13-07-13, 01:39 PM
my S/S wiring is high up under the fairing although i think the connector is exposed :/

Hondafan
13-07-13, 02:44 PM
did you look at the inlets?

Dan505
13-07-13, 06:29 PM
Not yet, plan to later

Hondafan
13-07-13, 07:44 PM
Just a thought.
As the bike is Fuel Injected, does it have Exhaust Gas Recirculation?

Its a pipe that comes from the exhaust system and goes to a valve.
When the ECU opens the valve it recirculates Exhaust gas back into the inlet.

If the valve sticks open you can have running problems.

Dan505
17-07-13, 07:14 PM
S/s switch bit iffy, rewired it, not gas exhaust recirc. No inlet leak. Did drain oil today 1.8L in it when should have been 1.4! Still wont start tho

Dan505
18-07-13, 09:21 PM
fixed!!!! throttle idle stepper motor gunked in oil, from the overfill, cleaned and started first time off the button. batt is flat cause R/R isn't passing the charge on, time for a new one then happy days

BB
18-07-13, 09:27 PM
Result! Good to hear!;)

Goldie
19-07-13, 02:23 PM
good stuff dan, glad you're sorted.

Hondafan
19-07-13, 10:40 PM
WOO-HOO!!!!

Last Train
20-07-13, 09:57 AM
:cool:

Dan505
20-07-13, 01:17 PM
next time it will be the first thing to check! guess it was the R/R that was blowing the bulbs so that should have been a hint. not enjoyed any of this sun cause it's been stuck in the garage so rest assured when it starts to rain next you know i'm back on the road. Thanks to HF for his ideas and Al for actually realising it was the R/R

Hondafan
20-07-13, 05:39 PM
next time it will be the first thing to check!

Ah, the benefits of 20/20 hindsight!

:D