PDA

View Full Version : New chain advice

wiltshire builders
08-07-13, 09:42 PM
After my trip around Europe I need a new chain and was thinking of going up 2 on the rear.
The bike can be a bit of a handful if you're not careful so was worried it might be bordering on suicide.

Also how much will it affect the speedo?

Any advice much apreciated.

pilninggas
09-07-13, 07:54 AM
http://www.gearingcommander.com/ is your friend. It will also give you enough info to know if you will need more links in the chain for the extra 2-teeth.

Since most speedos are way optimistic anyway, you may wish to couple the mod to a speedohealer or a speedodrd.

Jon_W
09-07-13, 08:09 AM
Most bikes have the speedo on the front wheel so changing the chain will have no effect.

As to the chain, any heavy duty chain will do. I've done plenty on Regina gold and not noticed any difference in wear. I'd be wary about increasing the gearing as this can put even more load on first and second gear.

pilninggas
09-07-13, 08:17 AM
Most bikes have the speedo on the front wheel so changing the chain will have no effect.

As to the chain, any heavy duty chain will do. I've done plenty on Regina gold and not noticed any difference in wear. I'd be wary about increasing the gearing as this can put even more load on first and second gear.

Most Japanese bikes (and I assume Euro) made after 2000 had the speedo driven by a hall sensor at the gearbox. Going 2-bigger at the rear will reduce the load in lower gears, as it will gear the bike down (like so many cyclists on the biggest rear sprocket, furiously pedalling away up a steep climb). Going up at the front or down at the rear, gears the bike up and can increase load (but is unlikely to load components beyond their designed specifications).

Jon_W
09-07-13, 12:47 PM
Maybe so. Worth checking as the five modern bikes I see regularly (all post 2000) all have front wheel speedos. I may be wrong as I do not know WB's bike.

As to you point. Thankyou, I am aware how gearbox works. I misread the thread.... but my point stands. Lowering the gearing may only serve to make the bike more lively at low speeds not less....

Scotty
09-07-13, 01:18 PM
The ZX is exciteable enough as standard Dan, lowering the gearing will only make it more so... What's making you consider this? If you aren't going to use it exclusively on track is it really worth it?

wiltshire builders
09-07-13, 02:06 PM
I just wanted to check what others thought but I think I'll leave it standard. Didn't want to fork out for a new chain then wished I'd gone bigger on the rear.
You're right. It might be a bit much.
I'm well pleased with the Nitron shock though.
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Very useful.