PDA

View Full Version : Mixing tyre makes

Swanny
05-07-13, 12:08 AM
Is it legal to mix tyres from different manufactures??
I have Bridgestones BT023's on my bike at the mo but want to swap over to Pirelli Angel GT's as these are supposed to give better grip and also last longer. Trouble is my front tyre still has loads of tread on it and I don't want to have to buy another Bridgestone for the rear just so they wear out at the same time. The Pirelli Angel GT's get good reviews and are longer lasting than the Bridgestones.
I had a look around the bikes at Hunters lodge tonight and noticed a few bikes with non-matching makes front and rear..

Also has anyone here tried the Maxxis tyres??

pilninggas
05-07-13, 07:15 AM
Perfectly legal.

I've ran mixed front and rears many times and can't even theorise an issue, unless either is very worn (in which case it should be changed anyway). Isn't it just a way to make a consumer replace something that is not at the end of it's life and spend more money?

I've had Maxxis tyres, they are very good sport touring tyres (yes they are chinese, but a lot of brands are actually made in china or taiwan). I am running some of those £99/pair CST Adrenos at the moment - they seem great wet/dry grip, not sure how long they'll last though.

There is a lot of BS where bike tyres are concerned imo.

Swanny
05-07-13, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Where did you get those CST Adrenos??

QB1
05-07-13, 09:59 AM
I dont know about the legal position but I cant help thinking it would give an insurer grounds to deny a claim.

Carson Tyres in Melksham have got some info on their website here which you may want to look at - http://www.rideinrideout.co.uk/advice.htm#3

Snowy
05-07-13, 10:51 AM
I think the legal no no's relate to mixing different ply's i.e radial and x-ply or say road and off road. Its one of those personal decisions you have to make with a bike - I tend to agree with Nicki about the possibility of an issue with insurance however small that might be. Why take the risk? If I had to mix tyres I would at least make sure the tread patterns were similar. Personally I always match pairs as each tyre has its own characteristics and I prefer to ensure these are the same front and back. 99.9% of the time no one would notice the difference but do you want to find this out when its wet and someone's pulled out in front of you? My view is that the 3 inches of black stuff we ride around on is the most important and critical component on a bike (just ahead of brakes) and don't mess with it. This is my opinion - you'll get plenty of people tell you the opposite and that they've ridden for 50K miles on an old tractor tyre at 12 psi and never had a problem.

Uber Dave
05-07-13, 12:01 PM
I went from Dunlops to Bridgestone BT23 rears last year and Yamaha changed it when I was having it serviced. The front is still a dunlop and I asked the same question. They said no legal issues so long as its got plenty of tread.

Obviously the front and rears are designed to work together and so they are recommended to be matched but the majority of people wont be riding anywhere near the limit at the point it actually makes any real difference. I am going to keep this Dunlop front till the tread has reduced to the point it needs changing and then will be matching it with the BT23 on the rear as I liked the Bridgestones and intend on keeping them for a while.

Swanny
05-07-13, 02:45 PM
I don't have chicken strips so I guess I'm getting near to the tyres limit. I spoke to carsons and asked them, they said what has been said here, not illegal but not recommended.
I reckon you get used to different tyres and the way the bike handles so I might as well just chuck on a Pirelli and get used to it
Thanks for the replies

Conehead
05-07-13, 02:52 PM
Beware if you go abroad as I recall reading somewhere that it is illegal in some countries when the tyres dont match.

In this country it is fine as long as they are the same plys or the rear is better than the front (never the other way round). I dont see why there should be a problem as we will never get to the limits of the tyres on the roads. Also, some bike shops refuse to fit a different tyre (as I found out the hard way) so if you do it take just the wheel in which will save you money as well.

Swanny
05-07-13, 04:08 PM
Oh yea I forgot about France and I'm planning to go there this year. I thought I had read somewhere it was illegal. Stupid Frogs :rolleyes:
Oh well looks like another BT 023 then. Unless I can get a pair of those CST Adrenos
I always take just the wheel in as I don't like paying someone £18 to do something that takes me a few mins to do :)

pilninggas
05-07-13, 04:47 PM
http://www.wheelhousetyres.co.uk/pair-deals/cstc6577pair.html

Rabb
05-07-13, 08:08 PM
Perfectly legal to mix brands.
The only rule of thumb is to have the softer compound tyre on the front - so the back must be a harder compound.
I ran a Michelin 2CT front with a Bridgestone Bt023 on the back for several months without any problems.
As long as you follow the 'soft compound on the front rule' you shouldn't have an issue.

Swanny
06-07-13, 12:36 AM
It's a shame the Bridgestone BT 023's don't last longer as I'm really happy with the grip levels

Last Train
06-07-13, 10:35 AM
I'm gonna be doing the same next week.

I've owned and/or ridden lots of bikes with mixed tyres and never had any sort of handling issues. I think tyre pressures is way more important.

This will be the first time, that I can remember anyway :o, that I've knowingly mixed brands.

It's not something I would readily advocate, and I agree with Nicki and Snowy's views.

I'll be fitting a matched front in the near future, there's still mileage in my existing front.

For me it's just a case of needs must.

matthews677
06-07-13, 02:34 PM
i wont comment on the 2 different tyres but i am running on maxxis at the moment. i'm using supermaxx sports front and back and dont mind them. i feel confident and they seem to warm very quickly. i have read that metzelers are really good and they cost about the same as a maxxis. just a thought for you

Marmalade
06-07-13, 07:43 PM
This is my opinion - you'll get plenty of people tell you the opposite and that they've ridden for 50K miles on an old tractor tyre at 12 psi and never had a problem.

I don't often use tractor tyres, this could be why you've had a problem.

I do an average of over 1000 miles a week and have regularly have mismatched tyres fitted depending what is available on the day at the right price and never had any issues. Maybe I'll notice when I get some experience.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere