PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Tongy
04-07-13, 09:46 AM
Turned up at Harp &Crown for the Wednesday bike night nice and early. I say a general hello to the small group around the BBQ. Muted reply. Get a drink, walk about, sit down with my drink. After an hour, one person says hello whilst walking past.
Others turn up and are greeted in a warm and friendly way. After an hour I don't feel welcome, and leave.
I'm not a nasty or aggressive person, and if it all goes wrong out on the road you'll be pleased to see me.

Makes me think, is it worth coming here.

Snowy
04-07-13, 10:40 AM
You have to make a bit of an effort to strike up a conversation with people - sitting down at a table on your own isn't the best way of doing that. You need to make that move, its pointless waiting for people to come to you. Why not move about the bikes and strike up a conversation about those as thats your common reason for being there or go on a rideout which is a great way of meeting a few like minded mates.

Swanny
04-07-13, 10:53 AM
It's definitely worth it, there are loads of great people at the H&C :D

Nelly
04-07-13, 11:06 AM
The trouble is that many people go to the H&C. Not just forum members. So its difficult to understand who is who. As snowy says, in order to get yourself known, a bit of effort is needed. Give it another go and go make conversation. You'll be surprised at how friendly people are.

Dabz
04-07-13, 11:48 AM
it's a difficult one - believe it or not a lot of the people there are pretty shy and won't make the first move either, so we sometimes find this "stand off" with new people - they're waiting for us to make the first move, we're waiting for them to say hi. It's no different than in any aspect of life/social interaction. The other thing to be aware of is many of the groups at the H&C have now become extremely close - where someone was once new like you they may now have gone on holidays, day trips, parties etc with the people there so have formed an extremely close friendship. We're like a big family :) There's plenty of room for new people to join the group, but it won't happen immediately without a little bit of courage and effort. And that is coming form one of the more shy members myself :)

Crosbie
04-07-13, 12:04 PM
If/When you next go see if there is a group leaving from Chippenham area you can meet up with first and ride over with. I find it easier to talk to people, especially people i havent met before, where there is only a couple of them and not a larger group.

wheelers
04-07-13, 12:28 PM
as Nelly says.

I dont have the time to go to the H&C but join in on the forum. yet I do know others who go to the H&C but are not WB members.
you have to make an effort,
welcome, sorry I missed you

Birdylegs
04-07-13, 10:09 PM
The h/c is a but far from me there's a few pubs that have meets like the forester and arms closer to me but I just like the bikes (no offence guys) if your thinking of getting a new bike think of it as a bike show ask about how it rides just put your hand up and say who's bikes this how much did it cost what's that burning smell etc. there's long trips to what could be new places or just a form to buy and sell I don't trust them water down pints but wish to thanks everyone who shares the same dream as me. Now how fast can I get out of washing up for how long best excuse here please as I got to go see a man about and dog in a pub on a long fast straight after a twisty lane be back later ok .

Dan505
17-07-13, 07:41 PM
In a word.....yes. I turned up one night without knowing anyone an after 30 mins of a few muted nods i thought bugger it, I didn't ride all this way for nowt so made the effort and started the conversations. Result: i've made some cracking friends that are more nuts than me. And yes Nelly i still dont sit on my bike facing the wrong way ;)

Toph
17-07-13, 10:20 PM
I remember the night well Dan.. haven't seen ya for a while though mate. hope you sort the probs on the Hyosung soon buddy. :)

Jon_W
18-07-13, 09:11 AM
It's worth it.

I had similar when I started. Give it a chance and we'll talk.

Goldie
18-07-13, 12:51 PM
I had the exact same thing when I turned up for my first night at the h&c. I felt like an outsider looking in on lots of people who knew each other. Now I feel like a member of a huge happy family. Please try again, like others have said, lots of non members go to the h&c as well as just general public; we don't pounce on people like salesmen as not everyone appreciates that approach.
The next time you go, message me and I'll ride in with you and introduce you to everyone. I love my WBer family, they're a great bunch, I promise.

Swanny
18-07-13, 01:05 PM
Thanks Sis :cool:

Nelly
18-07-13, 01:20 PM
I'm feeling the love brothers and sisters! :cool:

Wes
18-07-13, 06:42 PM
Yep, its a bit daunting turning up to a group on you own, same for me when i first started going, but its well worth an intro when you arrive, like Goldie says, its a great bunch of people :)

SupeRDel
19-07-13, 06:56 PM
Us members of the Aircooled RD club have the same problem every year on our club stand and at our club rally. People (new members) visit the rally and stand for the first time and if we do not have a welcome person on the gate to catch them and welcome them they go away disgruntled.

If you wanna make friends easy then get a classic bike from the 70's. I cannot go anywhere and stop without someone coming over to talk to you about the bike.
Always starts - "I used to have one of those" or "I have not seen one of those for years"

silly_simon
19-07-13, 08:20 PM
Best way to get noticed is ' Fall off ' when you arrive *cough* you know who you are LOL

All joking aside as has been said it is very daunting going for the first time and yes some of the members do seem as though they are in there own little 'clicky' groups, But you will find they will chat to you once they know who you are.

I even used to go and I am probably the most unsociable member on here, Not because I dont like anyone its just the way I am Also I have even turned up in the car on more than one occasion and that always breaks the ice ;)

Birdylegs
01-08-13, 11:04 PM
The best welcome I've ever had is at the pub in south cerney when I went to the Chip shop I went to do a U turn in pub car park but there's a vespa meeting going on. I can't wait to go again I was even the lead rider on there depart don't think they would have been as happy if I are my chips aswell I did start from the back but no accidents :cool: