PDA

View Full Version : Possible coil issue

Conehead
16-06-13, 04:13 PM
Went for a quick ride today and during the ride my bike got progressively worse so turned run and limped home.

The problem is that it is losing power through-out the range. It idles fine but as soon as you put any load on it it sounds like it drops one/two cylinders making it sound like a tractor (sounds like being in fifth doing about 1500 revs, very lumpy).

Checked downpipes when I got home and working from left to right when on the bike, 1 & 2 = Very hot as normal, 3 slightly hot and 4 cold.

What puzzles me is that if it is the coil would this not affect 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, not 3 & 4.

How do I test the coil with a volt meter. I dont know anything about how to use it.

or do you have any ideas what else I should check. I have not had the heart to start stripping and checking plugs etc so any advice is appreciated

Father_Ted
16-06-13, 06:48 PM
I have my doubts this would be coils as you say it's effecting the two end pots. As always I would start with the basics, check spark at the plugs, possible water ingress due to recent weather. Consider fuelling issue. Compression test all barrells. What bike is it ?.

Conehead
16-06-13, 06:56 PM
It is for a Daytona 1000.

Will try and start working on her this week sometime. Just had a lot spent on her for MOT so feeling a bit disheartened.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/icons-land/crying.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

XJ
16-06-13, 07:04 PM
Check the plugs

Conehead
16-06-13, 07:17 PM
Will check them first then fuel system. Flushed the entire system not long ago so not keen to do this again. hoping it is a quick cheap fix as I am completely broke after the MOT this week.

Jon_W
17-06-13, 07:47 AM
Sounds more like a blocked jet in the carb.

the best way to eliminate the coil is to put a plug in the cap and see if it sparks ok.

Swanny
17-06-13, 08:32 AM
To me it sounds more like a fuel problem

Conehead
17-06-13, 09:15 AM
Cheers all. Will check it out.

wheelers
18-06-13, 05:47 AM
ditto fuel, how old is the fuel? do you park on the side stand or main stand?
if on side stand fuel comes in on left side (1 &2) when it evaporates leaves 4 then 3, probably the float valve seats.

Conehead
18-06-13, 08:47 AM
I think I know what it is.

On Tuesday I got the bike back from MOT and they had cleaned her. I rode to visit my Mum in hospital and the bike felt like crap part of the way home but cleared so did not worry about it. The next ride was my last where it went really crap.

Well, the fuel drainage hole is blocked and when washed the water collects in the flap and as soon as it is opened it runs into the tank. I reckon this is the cause so thanks all for your replies. You were all correct and I was fearing the worst.

Father_Ted
19-06-13, 10:21 PM
Glad you got it sorted.