PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new bike in a year or so........

Rabb
15-06-13, 09:19 PM
I have been looking at the BMW 1000rr HP4.
- I am just a bit concerned that it's a very complicated bike and could be very costly to service & maintain.
Has anyone got one on here - are the parts prices frightening?
Are there any other bikes that I should consider at this level?
I want to test drive one - does anyone know where the closest BMW bike dealer is?
All suggestions and any answers would be appreciated.

Swanny
15-06-13, 10:41 PM
You'd be better off buying my bike :D

StreetHippo
15-06-13, 10:42 PM
Big one north oxford ring road. It's one of the most technological bikes out there, ask about the servicing first!
Stu

wheelers
15-06-13, 10:44 PM
having worked on a few various BM's oil heads. air heads, bricks and F650's even in the trade any part that comes in a BMW badged bag is sold at marked price. pattern parts such as pads, oil filters and plugs can be sourced cheaper. generally service kits are around £55, the fuel filter hides in the petrol tank not in external pipework like some.
to get a guide for prices http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=2&NU=10&M=38 for a local dealer try Bristol http://www.bathroadmotorcycles.co.uk/

Swanny
15-06-13, 11:29 PM
http://good-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/24031/1366_bmw-sport-s-1000-rr.jpg

Swanny
15-06-13, 11:30 PM
http://good-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/24031/1366_bmw-sport-s-1000-rr.jpg

QB1
15-06-13, 11:43 PM
Can't help about the bike but I would imagine Dick Lovett BMW in Bristol will be the nearest main dealer where you might get a test ride now that Bath Road Motorcycles in Bristol are no longer dealers.

Snowy
16-06-13, 07:57 AM
CW in Dorchester have a great reputation. When I need a dealer (rarely) then I use Bahnstormer in Alton. I bought a diagnostics unit for my R1200GSA which makes servicing that much easier and it will also work on the RR, not sure about the HP4 though as BMW have switched to a new type of system and the third party that does the interface is having to rewrite the code so thats taking a bit of time. On my Boxer engine servicing is mostly straightforward for things like valve clearances, throttle body balancing etc but I would imagine access is an issue on the RR, which adds time.

jack930
16-06-13, 03:24 PM
The HP4 has a long list of top rated race parts on it, so i guess its gona be costly to maintain or even replace parts, why not just get the 1000rr same bike capable of the same speed without all the trik bits.
The cash you save on the lower priced bike will go towards the servicing lol

Remember its a BMW so labor is the big hit on any work they do...

Lovely bike thou :-)

I test rode the 1000rr a few month ago, went to Dick Lovett BMW Bristol, had the bike for about 3 hrs. had no major issues with riding i even put a deposit down on one, until my insurance decided to change its policy details and up the price from £400 fc to £2500 fc, because it was a BMW ??

I got a Tuono now thou and love it..

Rabb
16-06-13, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice - I am leaning toward the straight forward s1000rr as a preference to the Hp4 as it's so much cheaper and doesn't have the complicated semi-active suspension (which I would imagine would be very expensive with all those motors & hydraulics )
to replace or even service if it went wrong.
I will give Dick Lovett a call and book a test ride for a couple of weeks time.
I'll let you know how I get on.......
Thanks everyone again - I didn't know much about BMW bikes.

StreetHippo
16-06-13, 08:37 PM
New ZX10R??
RSV4?
Panigale?

Does it have to be the Beemer?

Ducatista
16-06-13, 09:55 PM
You might be aware already but I'm pretty sure Bath Road Motorcycles are not a proper licensed dealer anymore although they might be an independent having retained all of their mechanics.
From a legal point of view I believe you can claim off a warranty if all servicing has been carried out properly but for any good will then you need a proper dealer.
CW for example will let a lot of things go through.
We use CW and they are very good and accomodating e.g. will do their best to fit you in if you can only get there on a Saturday or will let you have a hire bike for the day.

Jon_W
17-06-13, 07:50 AM
It's a Beemer.... they have built a reputation for reliability. I'm sure it'll be a good bike. As has been said, go and have a test ride (dosen't matter where) and see if you like it. Then find the best deal you can get and go there.