PDA

View Full Version : IOM TT

Darrbikes
12-06-13, 07:37 PM
Just returned from my first TT, absolutely brilliant, why I haven't got off my arse and done it before is beyond me. Amazing racing, beautiful island, really friendly people.... If any of you guys/gals are planning to make the pilgrimage to the motorcycle centre of the universe, and don't mind a tag along please let me know.

Keep well people....

badbreed
14-06-13, 08:41 AM
I'm hoping to go next year, I've not been back on the island for many years and never with 2 wheels under me.
Plus I've got a lot of family over there so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

How far in advance did you book things like the boat, hotel/camping up?

More than welcome to tag along if I manage to organise a trip out there.

BB
14-06-13, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the ferries are already well booked up, if you can sort your dates now do it now if not sooner! This years was such a great success I suspect more people than ever will want to go next year!

Father_Ted
14-06-13, 06:10 PM
I agree with BB , book your ferries now and your campsite etc after. It's easier to change your ferry timings later in the year.

SupeRDel
14-06-13, 06:10 PM
Just a few of my photos here................

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200885513036670.1073741832.1130150590&type=1

SupeRDel
14-06-13, 06:30 PM
Must say it was an excellent week helped by the best weather they have had for years.

Me and some mates rented a house and we were near a camp site in Onchan so we popped across one morning for a breakies. The place was not much better than a slum. Some campsites have good facilities which you will need if it rain and in all probability it will as you are going 300 miles north!

Ferry bookings for 2014 opened during May so will be very full by now. We sailed at 4.30 in the morning. Speaking to the woman that owned the house we stayed in - she said there is talk of a roll on and roll off ferry service starting for 2014 which should make it easier.

Mad Sunday is now a bit of a myth, we did the circuit on the sunday morning and you dare not ignor any speed limits. There were speed traps every mile or two, the only time you get let rip is when you get on the mountain. It becomes one way traffic with NO speed limits for the 8 miles up to "the cottage" (mid point) and the 7 miles back down to craig-ny-baa. The cops up there just sit and watch basically waiting for accidents which are all too frequent. The mountain is often shut to deal with the offs.

I stopped my RD400 by the top of Hailwood Hill and got chatting to a copper there who came over to chat to me about my 400. Turned out he was a classic jap owner as well.
It was most odd to stand there chatting while bikes were passing us at 100+ mph, he told me that the main cause of bike accidents was caused by bikers ignoring the fact that cars can take the racing lines around the corners as well

mikeapm
14-06-13, 06:33 PM
I went for the first time this year and will try and get back next year if poss. I was too late for the ferry with bike so had to fly (an experience in itself with manx airlines!). Will try and ride over next time. Be good to have a group going from WB.

YMFB
15-06-13, 07:23 AM
We went for this year for our fourth trip. In my opinion the extra policing was great, there were less idiots than previous years.

We stopped at St Johns FC and mainly based ourselves in Peel, last night we ate in a restaurant which was also hosting Bruce Anstey and Troy Corser! But the best bit was the Surf n Turf with a half lobster.

The practice sessions are well worth going for and so we usually go for the back half of practice week and the middle weekend.

I'd recommend anyone to go, but unless you want to get a 4 am ferry probably forget 2014 and make sure you book 2015 as soon as they go on sale, which I think is at the beginning of the TT 2014.

Steam Packet is your only option at present but there is talk of a competitor.

Join the forum on iomtt.com to learn more.

MayallRob
15-06-13, 03:23 PM
Just a few of my photos here................

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200885513036670.1073741832.1130150590&type=1

You got some really great photos there Derek!

Having studied Media at University I'm an avid photo / videographer, and my favourite subject has to be motorbikes. I would love to travel out to the Isle of Man during the TT to practice my high-speed photography and filming. The only thing I am worried about is how hard it might be to find good photography / filming places.
How difficult is it to find a good spot around the circuit to take photos from? For some of the more famous parts of the track, are you not struggling to get a good spot amongst the other people? And how easy is it to access all the areas, is travelling difficult?

Thanks for any help you can give