PDA

View Full Version : Valve shims

Conehead
07-06-13, 06:45 PM
Been putting it off but thin I need to check them within the next few months.

Where can I buy the shims as the only ones I can find are packs but I only need individual. I did find them here http://www.wemoto.com/parts/valve_shim/ but that looks a little expensive for a sliver of metal or is this the going rate for them.

Also. if anyone wants to do this for me I wont say no as it is a painful job, especially with a full fairing that needs to come off.

alanTDM
08-06-13, 07:11 PM
Wait till you checked them,you might only need a few,not sure what bike you got but i would get OM (from Fowlers etc)not after market shims.You will need a Haynes or workshop manual to work out what you need to get to be within the tolerances.When you replace them mark sizes down on a drawing so you know if there is a next time what they are.
Mine are under buckets which means if i have to replace them the camshafts have to come off,some bikes have them on top ,lot easier to change. Make sure the correct marks line up on the rotor using the No1 cylinder usally and camshafts are in the correct position (should be punch marks lining up ).
Mines only a twin but with a 270crank that is bit of a pain to do rather than a 360.
Strange there different prices quoted for the diff sizes,my Yamaha ones are all same price,
Good Luck.

Conehead
10-06-13, 04:13 PM
Cheers, It is a job I am not looking forward to but have a Haynes manual, done loads of internet research and have a couple of mechanics courses under my belt. I should be ok but failing that my mate is a qualified mechanic.

Mine are also under buckets so the cams will have to come off.

alanTDM
10-06-13, 08:48 PM
I have done mine twice since i had the Yamaha TDM since 2005 and they have to be done every 24K,I let a dealer do mine first of all but they charged £140 for just doing the valves.It dont take long to get to the valves,its when you find out which ones you need and cant get to a dealer (cause of no other transport)and its Saturday so when you phone them up for the parts they might not get to you till Tuesday:-( So last time i done them it was on a Friday evening then went and got the shims Saturday and had the bike up and running Saturday late afternoon :-)

ps when you got the cam cover off take a few Moby pics of the cams showing the timing marks etc help when putting it back together, also get a strong magnet eg one of those telescopic ones for hard to reach nuts and put that on top of the bucket,when you pull out the bucket the shim should be stuck to it underneath,still got to be carefull though but lessens the risk of the shim dropping down into the engine.

Conehead
11-06-13, 11:52 AM
That is sound advice. Thanks for the magnet tip.

Feel free to do mine if you want to. :D

alanTDM
11-06-13, 09:57 PM
At mo im busy trying to find someone who can bend exhausts pipes to match my tail pipes/ Y link pipe to replace my collector box,but i'm sure you will manage ok :-)

Conehead
11-06-13, 10:16 PM
Try asking 'Big al + kate'. I know he is doing a plumbing course and he has experience of bending pipes for that. Good luck.

I might put off the shim check till the end of summer.

alanTDM
12-06-13, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that info , i'll need to check the measurements for the bends etc first.

pilninggas
12-06-13, 10:48 PM
At mo im busy trying to find someone who can bend exhausts pipes to match my tail pipes/ Y link pipe to replace my collector box,but i'm sure you will manage ok :-)

google long life exhausts bristol (thornbury).

i am lead to believe they will make motorcycle exhaust bits for not too much and hold all their stock, so no guess work.

alanTDM
15-06-13, 05:02 PM
google long life exhausts bristol (thornbury).

i am lead to believe they will make motorcycle exhaust bits for not too much and hold all their stock, so no guess work.

Been on website will need to ring them when i got the dimensions ,Are you still on Carpe TDM .net or no TDM now?

pilninggas
16-06-13, 09:29 PM
Been on website will need to ring them when i got the dimensions ,Are you still on Carpe TDM .net or no TDM now?

I still go on carpe - it's a good forum. Don't have a tdm though, got an FZ1S.