PDA

View Full Version : rs125 non start

Red Zed 1
06-06-13, 09:11 PM
lukes friend,craig has 09 plate rs125(2st) that wont start..was ok yesterday morning,then stuttered,restarted then stopped and wont restart..also has a spanner light that flashes for about 5 secs when ignition on..bike turns over and has good spark but doesn't seem to get fuel..any ideas or does it need diagnostic tester

Birdylegs
06-06-13, 10:36 PM
The aprilia form says best bet diagnosist test as of sensors. If he's ever near me we should go out and breakdown together somewhere sometime

Red Zed 1
06-06-13, 11:24 PM
thats if he gets it started again..lol

Birdylegs
06-06-13, 11:50 PM
I try to use reserve fuel as of bike cutting out better to be safe then sorry just keep reseting odometer

Red Zed 1
07-06-13, 07:41 PM
09 plate bike..fuel injection,so no fuel tap!! going in to blade to get sorted as its still under gaurantee

Red Zed 1
18-06-13, 11:47 PM
craig finally got his bike to blade who have since told him the engine is seized!! now correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding of a seized engine is one that wont turn over..
seems a bit strange as when we were trying to start it the engine was turning over quite freely so i'm a bit concerned by the"seized"nature of the engine especially as he was very concientious regarding keeping oil topped up..
not had any dealings with blade workshops and the bike is probably still under blade warranty,are they trying to stiff him and get out of their warranty obligations..he is a young lad who knows nowt about the workings of a bike,just wants to ride..wouldn't want to see him being taken advantage of,although i think his stepdad will make sure that doesn't happen..

Birdylegs
19-06-13, 12:08 AM
4 strokes don't seize unless they was taking the cylinder out not much can be said to them in my experience blame manufacturer things like that should only happen once in a life time blocked grudgun pin or oil way. I can't let mine run without throttle as it also uses oil pump im afraid they would have to charge you for a block cylinder gasgits and labour expect £1000 at least plus that's could be classed as over heat or driver error good luck don't know if them parts are insured good luck

wheelers
19-06-13, 10:09 PM
rs125's a 2 stroke, probably done the ring in. to answer seizing question there are different kinds of seize.
hot, from over heating . piston swells up and looses clearance in the bore.
cold from running too cold
and normal seize could be broken con rod, piston ring broke, bearing/s seized big or small end,or plain ally to steel piston to barrel seize.
could possibly be nicasil plating in the bore peeling if not done properly. nicasil is a pain as cant be rebored only stripped and replated. sometimes lucky if a hone can take out loose ally stuck to the wall.

best thing is to get a compression test done. weve just fixed a snapped rod from over revving . no compression and when looking in the plug hole piston only moved 4 or 5 mm.
if its used on a lot of long distance or hi speed runs oil pumpneeds checking for proper flow, if not we advise pumping the throttle occasionally just to keep it working.
watch gp races, blue smoke on the start line then it clears as oil isn't burnt on slow tick over so its set to get good flow at high revs.

Jed
20-06-13, 08:53 PM
craig finally got his bike to blade who have since told him the engine is seized!! now correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding of a seized engine is one that wont turn over..
seems a bit strange as when we were trying to start it the engine was turning over quite freely so i'm a bit concerned by the"seized"nature of the engine especially as he was very concientious regarding keeping oil topped up..
not had any dealings with blade workshops and the bike is probably still under blade warranty,are they trying to stiff him and get out of their warranty obligations..he is a young lad who knows nowt about the workings of a bike,just wants to ride..wouldn't want to see him being taken advantage of,although i think his stepdad will make sure that doesn't happen..

I agree! A seized engine is one that won't/can't turn over, there may be many reasons why, but if it's moving, by definition it's not seized. I hope he gets it fixed and the dealer is honourable over the warranty.

Red Zed 1
22-06-13, 08:05 PM
update on craigs bike,it is being repaired under warranty..apparently something "fell" in the cylinder causing the engine to "seize"..hmmmm..at least its getting fixed!!

Conehead
22-06-13, 08:48 PM
I would like to know what 'something' is out of interest. Sounds like they are just making it up as they are dealing with a young person.

At least they are repairing it under warranty so good result there.

Birdylegs
03-07-13, 02:27 PM
When he got bike did he do a oil change as I've heard the oil it comes out with is pretty crappy as it used more for storage of bike then regular use.

Mikkie1986
15-08-13, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty sure my workshops don't take advantage of a young biker. Its amazing some bike shops actually are generally happy to help.... ffs.

Covered by warranty and the problem was- a power valve had touched and damaged a piston.

All fixed after a long wait for parts. Bike back in one piece and back on the road.

Trev
15-08-13, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure my workshops don't take advantage of a young biker. Its amazing some bike shops actually are generally happy to help.... ffs.

Covered by warranty and the problem was- a power valve had touched and damaged a piston.

All fixed after a long wait for parts. Bike back in one piece and back on the road.

The dangers of 'forum diagnosis' by less than experienced well wishers, well done for putting us all right on this one. Do I hear some asking what's a power valve, have they made that up ; )

Red Zed 1
15-08-13, 11:26 PM

mikkie,as you know we have had recent discussions on this subject so i hope you dont think this was a personal dig at you because it certainly wasnt meant as such..my previous comments were based on what i knew and saw and what i was told by the young lad and his stepdad..
really pleased that the problem is now sorted..
thanks mikkie and sorry for any offence,none was intended..just felt a bit aggrieved at the time

Mikkie1986
15-08-13, 11:29 PM
No worries Al.. Just comes across wrong in a public forum ;-) 😎

Birdylegs
15-08-13, 11:43 PM
I never ment my comments to be provisional or at comments of forms contributor. When a garage changed you to strip and clean a bike due to non starting when starter switch is broken it's worth looking at anyones ideas as how to help I can only hope a radom though can only influence you in to better confidence in you're own thinking or experience of others.