PDA

View Full Version : Wheat: The UNhealthy Whole Grain

Swanny
29-05-13, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

The wheat of today is not the wheat of our mothers or grandmothers. Modern wheat is the product of genetic manipulations that have transformed its properties. Modern wheat is now a 2-foot tall, high-yield semi-dwarf strain, different in both appearance and multiple biochemical features from traditional wheat. Introduction of this new strain of wheat was associated with the appearance of a long list of health problems, along with weight gain and diabetes.

According to Dr. Davis, saying goodbye to all things wheat provides outsized and unexpected health benefits, from weight loss, to relief from acid reflux and bowel urgency, to reversal of diabetes, migraine headaches, and learning disabilities in children.

Dr. William Davis is author of the #1 New york Times bestselling book, Wheat Belly: Lose the wheat, lose the weight and find your path back to health (Rodale, 2011), now debuting internationally in over ten foreign languages. Wheat belly has helped spark a nationwide reconsideration of the conventional advice to "eat more healthy whole grains."

Dabz
29-05-13, 08:50 PM
Hmm quite interesting, must admit I'm tempted to try cutting it out but it's not an easy task.

I believe there's a lot of truth in this - just look at the number if gluten intolerant people compared to 20 years ago. I don't believe we're simply better at diagnosing or labelling, it's down to the genetic modification of our staple ingredients

Swanny
29-05-13, 11:45 PM
Hmm quite interesting, must admit I'm tempted to try cutting it out but it's not an easy task.

I'm trying to cut it out, but like you say it's not an easy task, it seems to be in everything I like to eat.

Demonbaker
30-05-13, 05:57 AM
What a load of b#####s, true some people do have reactions to wheat's and yes it is different to years ago, but many other factors account for things like diabetes and weight again. Years ago we didn't have Mcdonalds Kfc etc. Also the vast majority of bread these days is factory made, were years ago it was all down to your local craft Baker.

Multiseed Low Gi bread has been on the market for a few years now and is a major seller in many shops, and according to at least one major professor at Oxford uni a big step in fitting Diabetes as would most breads made by small indepedent bakers. Also many new variety's of Bread are now being made using Spelt flour.

Its easy to say one product (Wheat)is causing these problems but bread comes in many different forms and totally different production processes

Swanny
30-05-13, 09:39 AM
It's well known that wheat is bad for you, our bodies aren't designed to digest it

Scotty
30-05-13, 12:16 PM
...And humans have been eating wheat products for how many thousands of years?

Jon_W
30-05-13, 01:22 PM
It's all this living. Studies have proven that being alive has led to death in 100% of cases.

Swanny
30-05-13, 02:15 PM
...And humans have been eating wheat products for how many thousands of years?

That doesn't mean it's good for us

Birdylegs
30-05-13, 05:01 PM
When it reads 90% fat free they are selling you 10% of just fat but from what ?

Demonbaker
30-05-13, 05:10 PM
Swanny. I don't know were you get your well known facts from but you could not be more wrong. Wheat contains many properties that are good for you, of coarse eating to much wheat will be bad for you but then so is anything else. But then if you know better than a forth generation Baker with more than 30 years experiece then so be it.

Ghost
30-05-13, 06:32 PM
It's all this living. Studies have proven that being alive has led to death in 100% of cases. ;) Couldn't agree more! Damned living, where will it all end?

Swanny
30-05-13, 07:10 PM
I'm sure you're an excellent baker but that doesn't mean wheat is good for you. I'm sure that many tobacconists declared that smoking wasn't bad for you ;)

Snowy
30-05-13, 07:18 PM
Potatoes, tomatoes, onions and most beans are toxic.

Puts it into perspective really.

Carry on.

Demonbaker
30-05-13, 07:42 PM
Wheat contains fibre,protein, carbohydrates,iron, potassium, calcium, vitamin c. all these off the top of my head. Hardly the same as tobacco.

http://www.botanical-online.com/english/wheatproperties.htm

Swanny
30-05-13, 10:20 PM
Just out of interest did you watch the vid??

Demonbaker
31-05-13, 05:42 AM
Just out of interest did you watch the vid??

Yes I have watched it. The argument seems to be more based around modern wheats against wheat years ago. Remember this is American and they use Genetically modified wheats we don't.

Also found this from a English newspaper.

Dr Davis makes lots of claims about the apparent harmful effects of wheat consumption. However, his central claim is that wheat promotes weight gain. Is there evidence for this in the medical literature? It seems from a detailed search of academic journals and online resources such as “Google Scholar” that Dr Davis has yet to publish an actual medical trial (based on his claims) in a scientific nutrition journal. The existing medical literature promotes powerful evidence that the consumption of whole grains is beneficial to human health. For example, a study released in the American Journal of Nutrition in November 2004 found that the consumption of whole grains was “inversely related to weight gain”. The study was titled “Changes in whole-grain, bran, and cereal fibre consumption in relation to 8-y weight gain among men,” and conducted by the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. The sample size for the study was quite large, with 27,082 men aged between 40-75 years taking part over an 8 year period. Whole-grain intake was found to lower weight over time. The study also stated that “for every 40 gram per day (g/d) increment in whole-grain intake from all foods, weight gain was reduced by 0.49 kilograms,” The study found that “additional components in whole grains may contribute to favorable metabolic alterations that reduce long-term weight gain.”

Demonbaker
31-05-13, 06:25 AM
Also found this from Jeya Henry. I think his credentials outway the American guy.

http://www.pfndai.com/10.2.2012_Dr_Jeya_henry.pdf

Swanny
31-05-13, 10:00 AM
Thanks it's interesting stuff. I agree about America nearly all their food is GMO. I've got loads of food in my house that has wheat in it, once it runs out I'm going to give it a go not eating wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel.

Demonbaker
31-05-13, 03:58 PM
Thanks it's interesting stuff. I agree about America nearly all their food is GMO. I've got loads of food in my house that has wheat in it, once it runs out I'm going to give it a go not eating wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Many of the products in our diet contain wheat, cereals for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta evening and even beer you wash it down with. Wheat is great versatile product but we can eat to much of it.

By the way i suffer from IBS, so I am careful of how much bread I eat. I'm not sure if bread is the aggravating factor although i know it doesn't help, also coffee aggravates it.